Speed Limiter On All Cars 2022

I read somewhere that Volvo plan to introduce technology which will detect if you're drunk and divert your car  to the nearest parking space if you are. I hope Ford are delivering similar technology which will detect if you're sober and drive you to the nearest pub. 

:guinness

On the train to Perth. Wonder why

COYS

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Excellent idea in principle.

Next we need something to physically prevent tail gaiting.

If people simply stopped driving like cunts we wouldn't need any of this.

This is the inevitable consequence of mass law breaking.

On my car there is adaptive cruise control so the car automatically breaks when it's getting near the car in front good system.  However the automatic  breaking system is not fit for purpose. Yes the car will come to a stand still if  a pedestrian walks out in front of the car below 30mph. Come to a junction with a filter lane the car comes to a stand still as the system detects a stationary car in front. So the car behind you could easily bang into you. Got the garage to turn off emergency breaking. Wonder if sales of sports and supercars will decline. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

3 hours ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Impractical, well intentioned idea, but utterly impractical, not to say dangerous.

The ambulance chasing money grabbing Lawyers will have a field day with this come the inevitable bumps and scrapes and the claims that the car wouldn't do what it was supposed to....

As above,Impractical and a Legal minefield on the way.

Just now, thomsons dropped it said:

The ambulance chasing money grabbing Lawyers will have a field day with this come the inevitable bumps and scrapes and the claims that the car wouldn't do what it was supposed to....

As above,Impractical and a Legal minefield on the way.

Maybe but deaths and accidents will be a tiny fraction of what they are now.

Humans cannot be trusted to drive cars. I don't know how much more evidence we need of that.

Just now, oaksoft said:

Maybe but deaths and accidents will be a tiny fraction of what they are now.

Humans cannot be trusted to drive cars. I don't know how much more evidence we need of that.

I just cant see the industry able to make this work in the time frame they are quoting.

I canny wait to see what they will do with Motorbikes.....

1 hour ago, pod said:

Plenty of work vans out there already with them. 

I have three vans, two with limiters and one without, I really don't find the limiter a problem and to be fair sometimes it's quite comforting to know that you ARE physically restricted and can't speed even if you wished to, but more often than not when I do speed in my car or the van without a limiter, it's because of either keeping up with traffic (that IS travelling to fast) OR i got distracted and creeeeept up beyond the limit without noticing which is easily done.

The busses that I drive have limiters that hold you to 100kph.  It’s not a problem.

The west side of the M25 (at M4 and M40) have variable speed limits, slowing all traffic down when there is congestion.  THAT has cut down on accidents and bumps and keeps traffic flowing freely, which may seem counter-intuitive... taking speed control away from the humans... but it works well.

9 hours ago, antrin said:

The west side of the M25 (at M4 and M40) have variable speed limits, slowing all traffic down when there is congestion.  THAT has cut down on accidents and bumps and keeps traffic flowing freely, which may seem counter-intuitive... 

Not counter intuitive at all.

When your sink is blocked you would have to be pretty stupid to think increasing the rate of water flow would miraculously solve the problem.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, cockles1987 said:

It can, the extra pressure from the increased flow can unblock it. emoji23.png

Seems an extreme measure just to brush your teeth but whatever.:D

That wouldn't work with the sort of whale-sized fatberg which routinely clogs the drains down antrim's way. You should check out the short video on the lab analysis of that on the BBC. :green

Technically if you were driving a big enough and fast enough truck you could do the same in traffic. :P

Edited by oaksoft

8 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
On 3/27/2019 at 8:45 PM, TopCat said:
EU legislation.

Thank goodness we are leaving!

The reported story states that this will still happen even if/when we leave the EU

I think anyone wanting "freedom" from EU rules after Brexit (if we ever leave) is going to be sorely disappointed. In order to be able to trade with Europe, the UK will almost certainly have to adopt many EU rules to retain compliance on a range of safety things.

Guest TPAFKATS

Given that each country sets its own speed limit this could be interesting. Will drivers have the ability to change it?
Speed isn't the problem, it's inappropriate speed that's causing the deaths and injuries.
Driving through a residential street with parked cars at 40mph is a big igger risk than driving on a quiet motorway at 80mph, particularly with the advances in technology and safety features that cars now have.