Saints vs Celtic Wed 3/4/19

10 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Sweeper, I’m with you on most of your posts but we absolutely did not have “a number of decent attempts tonight”. Well, I suppose that’s a lie because one is a number and one is how many decent attempts we had tonight. That was an (albeit good) speculative effort from Cooke. There was also an opening or a chance for Nazon which didn’t even result in a shot at goal. 

If you think that’s acceptable fair enough, otherwise you’re going to have to remind me of all the other decent attempts we had.

I cannot deny we only hit the target once.  :2cool   But with a little bit more composure Nazon could have had two, but gave up space and lost the ball in the box - a wee break and it could have been different ( some strikers are better at getting the break from that kind of situation), but late on we had a decent chance which was also blocked.

OK we were not a great attacking force, but after where we were with Stubbs, it is incredible that we might not only stay in this league but possibly also miss the play-offs. So tactically against the run away leaders and soon to be Champions, we set up to stifle in the first half with 5/6 changes in personnel and had a bit more of a go in the 2nd. We lost by 2 goals, one of which was a deflection. Considering their squad, they only had 6 shots on target (according to the bbc)

Our remaining 6 fixtures are far more significant than last night, and OK is absolutely right to accept that at this stage... 

11 hours ago, scam75 said:

I hated the team selection. But, I'd say OK is vindicated. Do you risk a Flynn carrying a heel injury? Do you risk others 1 booking away from a ban? Do you risk the sublime G Mac so soon after returning? And in the end some guys got the cobwebs off that may contribute from the bench in the run in. OK, no pun intended, results went our way and imo it's now game on. Fair enough we have to beat Hamilton at their own midden, but you know what, I now believe we can. Let's do this chaps!

If you need points to survive the answer to your risk assessment is YES.. you play your best team. How the f**k, given the dire performances we have produced this season can anyone even contemplate passing up the chance of a point that could save you, in the hope you will beat a team whomhave put SIX past you so far this season?

having been thumped twice by Hamilton where the hell does Oran get the belief he can now score three past them?

The only really odd addition to the starting lineup for me was Kellerman. Every other player has been in and around the squad this turn of the year. I think that was only Kellermans second involvement in the squad since he returned in January. He possibly got injured at Celtic Park last time round. 

For me the players who have not had much game time:

Corbu looked really decent and was a more than comfortable replacement for P McGinn

Cooke did really well for us, for all the service he had. Hard to say if he has goals in him, though he works hard and did better out of the front two.

Kellerman - I am not so sure he is cut out for this level. Just my opinion.

The lineup could have worked more in our favour despite the drastic changes. I am sure Lennon didnt expect anything near the changes we made from the winning team on Saturday. We ALMOST had ourselves level with a couple of opportunities. It's however done now and we move on to Saturday.

2 hours ago, ScotstounSaint said:
10 hours ago, gstretchuk said:
Kearney is a disgrace, to go out and not try and win a game of football is disgraceful. Its disrespectful to the club, fans and players...at Parkhead he accepted defeat before game started and tonight he accepted defeat, this is totally unacceptable. If Hamilton and Dundee had won tonight it would look a lot worse for him as he would have no idea what was going to happen in those games and had his fingers crossed. Absolutely shat it tonight to try and win game, people with this mentality should not be near the club. His team selection was poor and as for S McGinn think he was playing for them. Looked overweight, slow and totally unfit, waste of a jersey tonight...

You strike me as the kind of fan who would have had us playing 2 up front at Tynecastle and Pittodrie...... and then collecting zero points.

:lol: Aye, good one!

This forum is a barrel of laughs, did we play a weakened team, Yes. Does this allow for a refreshed stronger side on Saturday , Yes.

If we had played a stronger side there is no guarantee that it would have taken anything but it would then be a tired side on Saturday when if we lose the same people on here moaning would be moaning that we should have played a weaker side  to save the legs.

Some people are never satisfied!

At the January transfer window we were 10 points behind 11th, we are now 11th and 2 points ahead of 12th, improvement has been made and will hopefully continue KTF

Guest TPAFKATS
They should be able to play 4 games in 11 days easy enough. The only issue would be if it was at the end of a long hard season. It's not been a long season for these players. They don't play international football. We've been gubbed out every cup in the early rounds and they've obviously had no European football.
James Forrest has played 48 games this season. Ryan Flynn who presumably was rested tonight has played 19. 
It's about making sure you get the best out of players against their opponents. OK and his backroom team decided some players should perform better against Hamilton on Saturday if they didn't play against celtic on the Wednesday. Its not that they couldn't do it, it's about doing it better.

Guest TPAFKATS
Strict liability in this case would hold Celtic responsible. It's the club that that the fans belong to that are held accountable, not the team whose ground the game is held at. What some clubs are putting forward as the argument against is that fans of other clubs could infiltrate their support and cause mischief
And celtic would claim mitigation that our organisation and security/stewarding wasn't sufficient to prevent a firework being thrown. Same with bottles.
I'm not disagreeing with you on the concept of strict liability, just needs to be planned properly.
Alternatively folk could stop behaving like cocks.

10 minutes ago, Swiss_Saint said:

This forum is a barrel of laughs, did we play a weakened team, Yes. Does this allow for a refreshed stronger side on Saturday , Yes.

If we had played a stronger side there is no guarantee that it would have taken anything but it would then be a tired side on Saturday when if we lose the same people on here moaning would be moaning that we should have played a weaker side  to save the legs.

Some people are never satisfied!

At the January transfer window we were 10 points behind 11th, we are now 11th and 2 points ahead of 12th, improvement has been made and will hopefully continue KTF

At the January transfer window we were 2pts ahead of Dundee (where we are now) and 2pts behind Hamilton so we've lost 2pts to them since then - I'd agree the team has gelled over the last month or so but the league situation is worse.

Guest TPAFKATS
If you need points to survive the answer to your risk assessment is YES.. you play your best team. How the f**k, given the dire performances we have produced this season can anyone even contemplate passing up the chance of a point that could save you, in the hope you will beat a team whomhave put SIX past you so far this season?
having been thumped twice by Hamilton where the hell does Oran get the belief he can now score three past them?
I'm no footballing expert, unlike your good self, however mibees Oran feels having his strongest available team fresher than a Hamilton team who played their strongest team both Wednesday and Saturday gives us an advantage?

Just what I expected last night and reckon Oran got it right.

Last night was 3 points but Saturday is a 6 pointer so we needed the best team for Saturday. Gary Mac and Mullen had to be rested after being out for so long. Flynn and P McGinn had small knocks (and Paul has played almost every game this season - a wee break would do him good). Surprised Stephen started but thought he may have got the last 30 mins. 

Corbu had a decent performance. Anton's legs have gone. Cooke worked hard but still looks out of his depth. Nazon did not work at all - a luxury player.

Onwards to Hamilton on Saturday. See you there.

2 hours ago, madball said:
2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:
Anyone suggesting that Kellerman was anything other than honking last night needs to come off the glue. 

Dreadful in first half, and seemed to have no idea who to pick up when they came forward. Improved slightly in second but did look off pace

2 hours ago, Doakes said:

Not seen anything to suggest he is a good player. Think AFC Fylde is his level tbh

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Anyone suggesting that Kellerman was anything other than honking last night needs to come off the glue. 

I am not on to say that Kellerman is a star of the future, BUT he was signed from a much lower league and has had injury problems. It takes time to step up and to get up to physical and match fitness. Last night JK got some 76 minutes against the best team in Scotland.

Just back from injury, of course he was off the pace a bit and playing in an unusual 3 in midfield too with MacPherson, who is also young, and Stephen McGinn who was also just back from injury and lasted for about an hour...

How do less experienced guys (at this level) get experience to get up to the pace? Answer they need game time.

Only time will tell whether he or Macpherson end up a first choice regular, but at least support managements attempts to find out please?   :spud7

Edited by Sweeper07

7 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I am not on to say that Kellerman is a star of the future, BUT he was signed from a much lower league and has had injury problems. It takes time to step up and to get up to physical and match fitness. Last night JK got some 90 minutes against the best team in Scotland.

Just back from injury, of course he was off the pace a bit and playing in an unusual 3 in midfield too with MacPherson, who is also young, and Stephen McGinn who was also just back from injury and lasted for about an hour...

How do less experienced guys (at this level) get experience to get up to the pace? Answer they need game time.

Only time will tell whether he or Macpherson end up a first choice regular, but at least support managements attempts to find out please?   :spud7

Yes he's from a lower tier and has had injuries so fitness and game sharpness is one thing, and he does need game time to get that, but his basic reading of the game looked suspect and were lucky that he didn't cost us more. One thing that I will say is that I won't berate or abuse him or anyone during games as he and all players deserve our support, but even in his circumstances it does not make him immune from measured criticism post game.

And celtic would claim mitigation that our organisation and security/stewarding wasn't sufficient to prevent a firework being thrown. Same with bottles.
I'm not disagreeing with you on the concept of strict liability, just needs to be planned properly.
Alternatively folk could stop behaving like cocks.

Last sentence does it for me.

I don’t get the last sentence. Where has OK said this ?

ETA , just saw DL ask the same .

1 hour ago, DLBud said:

Why do we need to score three?

Thats what Hamilton have scored against us twice, Oran said he expected last night's result after fielding a weakened team. And said he did so because of the Hamilton game. So to justify his decision to not try and take any of the three points on offer last night he has put pressure on himself, and the players to overturn Hamilton away.

given the previous results against them this season i get your question. We probably actually need to score four! 

Green Brigade have issued a statement if anyone wants a laugh. 

Seems to be roughly: 

90% attacking the authorities / OBFA

9% playing down last night's incident and blaming other members of their support

1% asking their own fans to not throw pyrotechnics on to the pitch or at people (Having them in the stands is apparently okay - despite this being blatantly against the laws which they continue to flaunt). 

D3T8LsJWsAAkMjM.jpg

Still.....  #FansNotCriminals  eh?!  

This should highlight once and for all that our NorthBank boys should never stand shoulder to shoulder with these morons in any perceived battle against the authorities.

Our own ultras group should also be mindful of the inherent victim mentality espoused by the Green Brigade in such situations and always be aware of the need for self-reflection and responsibility.

Edited by Maboza