Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Bud the Baker

Saints vs Celtic Wed 3/4/19

Recommended Posts

I’d imagine OK will set up the team the same as the last time we played them at home.

 

Deny them space in our half, hope we carry a bit of luck and their flair players have an off night.

 

The spirit and work rate that game was magnificent. If we get that again we have a good chance to take something from the match.

 

Whatever happens we shouldn’t open up at any point as I have a feeling goal difference might be important come the end and we’re in good shape right now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, DLBud said:

I’d imagine OK will set up the team the same as the last time we played them at home.

 

Deny them space in our half, hope we carry a bit of luck and their flair players have an off night.

 

The spirit and work rate that game was magnificent. If we get that again we have a good chance to take something from the match.

 

Whatever happens we shouldn’t open up at any point as I have a feeling goal difference might be important come the end and we’re in good shape right now.

 

 

Totally agree and we are getting better at playing this way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I think Ehrahon might still be suspended. His red was for serious foul play which normally is a two game ban.

Probably time he was given a rest anyway. Still a young player that has probably been over used this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2019 at 1:36 PM, djchapsticks said:

Celtic 'out on their feet' against Rangers according to radio.

Shattered, leggy, players cramping up.

Very unlike Celtic to not be fit but hopefully bodes well for Wednesday night.

Celtic have plenty qualify who did not play on Sunday who they can call on. The BIG game this week is Hamilton that is a must win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Celtic have plenty qualify who did not play on Sunday who they can call on. The BIG game this week is Hamilton that is a must win. 

I don't agree. The BIG game is always the next one. We need to at least compete and try to get something. A real doing could regress us. A tight game, even a loss by one goal would keep the momentum. Remember we could quite easily be bottom again after Wednesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Best time to play Celtic, they could be a bit flat after the hype of the OF game and they've virtually won the league, we need the points more.

^^^^ This.  Playing them anytime is never easy, but they will have a number of players out and will give some others a game for a change. Just hope they are a bit disjointed and I do think they will be weaker defensively without Tierney and Boyata. I think Nazon and Jackson could do over Ajer.

We have our own injuries too, but we need to take the positives of Saturday into this : 1 or 3 points would be massive for us and although it could be a hammering for us, we surely could pick up something. Even a single point, going in against Hamilton, knowing a win would lift us above them would be incentive enough. (That presumes they lose on Wednesday I know)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Celtic have plenty qualify who did not play on Sunday who they can call on. The BIG game this week is Hamilton that is a must win. 

Both games are massive.

If we lose on Wednesday and Hamilton and Dundee both win, we are back at square one. So we should absolutely not be writing Wednesday off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Best time to play Celtic, they could be a bit flat after the hype of the OF game and they've virtually won the league, we need the points more.

I think W7 should get a banner that says, "Remember what Saints did for you in '86".:ph34r::P

Edited by stlucifer
Just for the confused Shetland.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Both games are massive.

If we lose on Wednesday and Hamilton and Dundee both win, we are back at square one. So we should absolutely not be writing Wednesday off.

We will lose on Wednesday that's my opinion of course. Got to hope Hamilton lose also if not we still need to beat them on Saturday then we have to play them again during the split. Plenty twists and turns yet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Both games are massive.

If we lose on Wednesday and Hamilton and Dundee both win, we are back at square one. So we should absolutely not be writing Wednesday off.

Agree with that. Unlikely we will get anything Wednesday, but Dundee & Hamilton both have games they will be hoping they can pick up points in. Biggest worry is Dundee at the Fakes, given they have just missed out on top six dont expect them to be as up for it as they should be. If we could nick a point it keeps us in the mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Agree with that. Unlikely we will get anything Wednesday, but Dundee & Hamilton both have games they will be hoping they can pick up points in. Biggest worry is Dundee at the Fakes, given they have just missed out on top six dont expect them to be as up for it as they should be. If we could nick a point it keeps us in the mix.

LPM- Its so obvious you have no idea how professional football works ? Fakes will be totally up for this. Its their derby, the have mortgages and young families. They are on a bad run and that means the management and coaching staff are also under pressure. They have a chance still of 7th and they will go out to achieve that...

Exactly the same for Livi, the one they have shown is 100% in every game, thats why they are safe.................. Accies beat them last time so I expect them to target this as 3 home points

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

LPM- Its so obvious you have no idea how professional football works ? Fakes will be totally up for this. Its their derby, the have mortgages and young families. They are on a bad run and that means the management and coaching staff are also under pressure. They have a chance still of 7th and they will go out to achieve that...

Exactly the same for Livi, the one they have shown is 100% in every game, thats why they are safe...............… Accies beat them last time so I expect them to target this as 3 home points

 

^^^^ This.  I am with you here DJ. No professional footballer of any standing would go into a competitive match at this stage thinking about anything that did not include, win bonus, adding to your points tally, bragging rights, outplaying your opponents and the bonus money for finishing higher in the league. Individually it could mean a contract extension on more money or transfer to a bigger team, but not giving 100% could render you surplus to requirements for next season unless you are on a longer contract - but it could push you down the pecking order then.

Agree too on Livi, they will have a go. But the news of Halkett leaving will be a negative for them, as is knowing they were beaten last time against Hamilton. Ok it could be turned to a positive incentive for payback.

Just checked and the home side have won each of these 3 previous games this season by 1 goal to nil. (I do hope that sequence continues)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

^^^^ This.  I am with you here DJ. No professional footballer of any standing would go into a competitive match at this stage thinking about anything that did not include, win bonus, adding to your points tally, bragging rights, outplaying your opponents and the bonus money for finishing higher in the league. Individually it could mean a contract extension on more money or transfer to a bigger team, but not giving 100% could render you surplus to requirements for next season unless you are on a longer contract - but it could push you down the pecking order then.

Agree too on Livi, they will have a go. But the news of Halkett leaving will be a negative for them, as is knowing they were beaten last time against Hamilton. Ok it could be turned to a positive incentive for payback.

Just checked and the home side have won each of these 3 previous games this season by 1 goal to nil. (I do hope that sequence continues)

 

All those reasons you mentioned are not as strong as the desire to stay up when your are fighting for your life.

Every footballer under the sun has some reason to win a game of football so to be pedantic about it, of course they want to win. But a team fighting for their life vs a team with nothing to play for definitely has some effect on the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

All those reasons you mentioned are not as strong as the desire to stay up when your are fighting for your life.

Every footballer under the sun has some reason to win a game of football so to be pedantic about it, of course they want to win. But a team fighting for their life vs a team with nothing to play for definitely has some effect on the game.

correct donald trump GIF by Election 2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

All those reasons you mentioned are not as strong as the desire to stay up when your are fighting for your life.

Every footballer under the sun has some reason to win a game of football so to be pedantic about it, of course they want to win. But a team fighting for their life vs a team with nothing to play for definitely has some effect on the game.

I disagree. How about Saints v Fakes 2000................. to get this closer to home. Or Well v Saints 2015 (5-0)...................it doesnt work that way. What about Dundee's 2nd half performance v Us .....................football is alll about what happens on the day, history is littered with it................

We go into this round of fixtures having WON against a rival, Dundee go in having LOST against a rival and Accies go in having getting THUMPED.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I disagree. How about Saints v Fakes 2000................. to get this closer to home. Or Well v Saints 2015 (5-0)...................it doesnt work that way. What about Dundee's 2nd half performance v Us .....................football is alll about what happens on the day, history is littered with it................

We go into this round of fixtures having WON against a rival, Dundee go in having LOST against a rival and Accies go in having getting THUMPED.   

 

And we got done last Wednesday... whats your point caller?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LargsBud said:

All those reasons you mentioned are not as strong as the desire to stay up when your are fighting for your life

Every footballer under the sun has some reason to win a game of football so to be pedantic about it, of course they want to win. But a team fighting for their life vs a team with nothing to play for definitely has some effect on the game.

So we think differently about this and we could both give reasons to support our argument. Fine, often teams fighting to survive do pick up surprise results, but I suspect that more  often the teams at the bottom stay in trouble. e.g. One example - Huddersfield all season, they did pick up a win recently, but only to the team they had beaten earlier in the season too. They changed manager, but it made no difference.

All those reasons you mentioned are not as strong as the desire to stay up when your are fighting for your life. Bear in mind the reason they are fighting for their life is precisely that they have not been good enough - unless they brought in better players or a miracle working manager, they are still not good enough..

This is the main reason we may survive, change of a better manager and better players.

I don't see the Fakes as having nothing to play for either... as I listed previously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

And we got done last Wednesday... whats your point caller?

Last Wednesday we should have had a point...................... Dundee def should have and did get beat as did Accies.

No defs regardless is what happens on the night that matters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Last Wednesday we should have had a point...................... Dundee def should have and did get beat as did Accies.

No defs regardless is what happens on the night that matters

Shoulda. Woulda, coulda..... but didnae!

It happens every season, team finds out the aint going any higher, players drop tools, decide after all they need rehab for that injury they've been carrying, manager decides to play periphery payers to decide if they are keepers etc.. etc...

and with Dundee finishing with the Dons they will be putting everything in tomorrow night to get a result. Massive day coming up at Hamilton for us.... massive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Shoulda. Woulda, coulda..... but didnae!

It happens every season, team finds out the aint going any higher, players drop tools, decide after all they need rehab for that injury they've been carrying, manager decides to play periphery payers to decide if they are keepers etc.. etc...

and with Dundee finishing with the Dons they will be putting everything in tomorrow night to get a result. Massive day coming up at Hamilton for us.... massive!

I imagine every game between now and the end of the season will be massive.  Can see it going to the wire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Shoulda. Woulda, coulda..... but didnae!

It happens every season, team finds out the aint going any higher, players drop tools, decide after all they need rehab for that injury they've been carrying, manager decides to play periphery payers to decide if they are keepers etc.. etc...

and with Dundee finishing with the Dons they will be putting everything in tomorrow night to get a result. Massive day coming up at Hamilton for us.... massive!

Calm down...massive game for us is a cup final..no a game away at Hamilton...that massive im golfing on Saturday!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...