Signing Injured Players

I see that Greg Tansey is out injured with a "recurrence of an injury from his time at Aberdeen"

As I understand he was injured more often than not at Aberdeen. 

This seems to be something that St Mirren have a particular habit of; signing guys that "will be great signing if they can stay fit" and then paying them a wage to sit in the treatment room for a couple of years.

Surely it is time to update Gus's moneyball algorithm and avoid anyone that has had lengthy spells out with recurring injuries? I'm not having a go at Greg personally, it's obviously not his fault if he is injured but it goes without saying that players are not much use sitting in the stands.

1 hour ago, turrabuddie said:
5 hours ago, Meiksyboy said:
I think Isle of Bute Saint is correct players of this kind is hard for St.Mirren to attract so when we do there is usually a reason, ie injury prone unfortunately

Just like Davis a few years back.

A few years? You got a time machine? If so could you go back to last June and tell the Board to NOT sign Stubbs?

1 hour ago, turrabuddie said:
5 hours ago, Meiksyboy said:
I think Isle of Bute Saint is correct players of this kind is hard for St.Mirren to attract so when we do there is usually a reason, ie injury prone unfortunately

Just like Davis a few years back.

AND that one worked out positive in many respects as we went on to win the league, even though only he played 1/2 the games another CB played.

I don't think it is fair to want to blame Gus for Tansey. You have to add in Popescu, Hladky and Muzek - these guys are top Saints players now. Some transfers work well, others don't that is the reality. Yes Tansey was a bigger gamble fitness wise, but the others might not have settled into Scotland and felt homesick etc.

Any new player could pick up a long term injury at any time too.   (Better for us though if they are signed for Hamilton)

I tend to side with Kemp on this, my heart always drops a little when you check a new signing's wiki page and find he's had very little game time in the last coupla seasons before arriving at the club.

I wouldn't have classified Harry Davis @turrabuddie as a crock on his arrival in Jan 2017 however I recognize we did take a gamble re-signing him during the summer when it was known he would miss the first couple of months of the season.

It would be loverly if we had proper stats on this subject and did not have to rely on anecdotal evidence as many of us (myself included) have dodgy mammaries:blink:

The other factor to note is guys who had no significant injury track record but who we lose on long term injury. Guy's like Magennis (perhaps Cooke etc.).

Magennis is a great player, but has been posted missing for most of this season. Could this have been foreseen or are we willing to work him back to fitness hoping next season he is fully fit more often? Will he turn out next year to be a big star for us and go for a big transfer at the end of the season OR neither? No-one knows.

We just need to keep improving any way we can. Getting better players, having the best medical care and training practices, signing less risky players or having a reduced financial commitment if they lose fitness ( a bit like pay as you play, but could be a lower base line but bigger top-up if you are in the playing squad or first-team etc.) I know these things are not often easy to tie in for all kinds of reasons,  but this season we have had far more than our fair share of injuries and players being unavailable - and it has not in general been because of suspensions.

I am still very optimistic though. Look at how much we improved with the scouting/new signings we made after the Stubbs debacle - Popescu, Hladky, Muzek If we could retain them and gain another 3 from 8 or more new singings with their level of quality and fitness or better, that would be a very real improvement in our team.  Add in that some of our squad have now gained experience in this top league and will be more prepared for next season too.  :ninja

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:58 AM, Kemp said:

I see that Greg Tansey is out injured with a "recurrence of an injury from his time at Aberdeen"

As I understand he was injured more often than not at Aberdeen. 

This seems to be something that St Mirren have a particular habit of; signing guys that "will be great signing if they can stay fit" and then paying them a wage to sit in the treatment room for a couple of years.

Surely it is time to update Gus's moneyball algorithm and avoid anyone that has had lengthy spells out with recurring injuries? I'm not having a go at Greg personally, it's obviously not his fault if he is injured but it goes without saying that players are not much use sitting in the stands.

Where did you see this?

Was e not playing in a bounce game for us today?      :magic

Edited by Sweeper07