Hamilton vs St. Mirren 6th April 2019

I think it was there for us today but we don’t score enough goals. The team is a lot better than it was but I’m not convinced by Erahon (yes he’s got potential and he’s young I’m merely saying I don’t think he’s playing well enough) and I think Lyons has been very poor indeed too his missed chances today were v poor indeed. Sadly this Hamilton side are rotten and they were all over the place at times yet we couldn’t win this game . My Hamilton supporting mate Gave credit to Kearney for his tactics and that’s fine but the defeatist attitude of midweek was sickening and unacceptable at any football club. I don’t understand why we were so passive and just looked happy to roll over. We didn’t fight or believe and that’s not on. Had we won today then fair enough but we didn’t win. 
We DID fight Norrie.
The fans cheered the team off the pitch.
Would that have happened after a game with no fight?

3 hours ago, Russian Saint said:

From just about every post I’ve read regarding the playoffs, it’s a stick on its Dundee United. At the moment Ayr and ICT are still in the mix so it’s no guarantee that United will be the team to play Saints/Dundee or Hamilton. Ayr could be last years Livi, just my thoughts though.

Agree, but Ayr are on of the worst teams in the league since the turn of the year. They won't be making the playoff final, but every chance it will be Inverness. And every chance we won't be in it anyway.

Very strange to see those regarding this as a bad result. Normally if you are in a head to head against a team you are happy with a draw away and a win at home. We've got the draw, shown we are a stronger team now, and now Hamilton need to come to Paisley after the split. We are still very much in with a chance of 10th spot.

Performance wise, it was frustrating once again. Let me say I fully support Oran & Gus, anyone that claims not to see the complete turnaround in our team since the first trip to Hamilton is just being willfully ignorant (aka an attention seeking twat.) We are considerably stronger in defence, and tactically much more aware.

The frustration comes in the final third of the park. There doesn't seem to be any clear strategy to the play, there isn't a great deal of movement off the ball, there isn't any plan as to how to get in between the lines of the opposition when coming forwards. It looks like we have spent most of our time at training working on our defensive shape, and the attacking plan is "get it up there quickly and run at them".

On top of this there was a real lack of desire from the strikers to get in to the six yard box and get on the end of things. Dreyer chipped a great ball over the keeper in the final minutes that should have been a tap in for an onrushing Cody Cooke.....but we had nobody there. And then the lack of quality and composure when we do get the chances is hurting us. Jackson v Killie, Duck v Celtic, Lyons v Hamilton all through on the keeper and none of them even managed a shot on target.

Plenty of work for the training ground. Maybe time to give Allan Russell a call and see if he fancies helping his old team out for a couple of weeks? Well, it not Allan then someone like that to give a bit of freshness to the training and build the confidence of these strikers.

MotM performance from Paul McGinn yesterday, thought he was very strong in defence and going forwards. Hladky saved us again at the end, we would probably be down already if not for the big man. Popescu and Flynn tremendous in the middle of the park. Would love to see more of Popescu's Lothar Matthaus impression, other teams really struggle to stop him when he starts charging forwards. Simeon Jackson put in a great shift, some great link up play and a great ball through to Lyons which should have put us ahead in the first half.

Has been pointed out enough above but Erhanon getting hung out to dry at left wing back needs to stop. A real weak link both in defence and going forwards. Any attack down that wing broke down as Ethan didn't seem to know how far forwards he could go. Lyons & Mullen offered very little and we can't really afford such little creativity from key attacking positions.

Dreyer was fairly quiet I thought, but shows a lot more composure than the other attackers when on the ball. The penalty looked like a dive to me though, disappointing if so.

Getting that 10th spot will come down to working out an attacking system that works. Possibly Jackson - Dreyer - McAllister is worth a go from now on. Jackson can link up well with the other two, both of whom look capable of having a shot from distance.

Very strange to see those regarding this as a bad result. Normally if you are in a head to head against a team you are happy with a draw away and a win at home. We've got the draw, shown we are a stronger team now, and now Hamilton need to come to Paisley after the split. We are still very much in with a chance of 10th spot.
Performance wise, it was frustrating once again. Let me say I fully support Oran & Gus, anyone that claims not to see the complete turnaround in our team since the first trip to Hamilton is just being willfully ignorant (aka an attention seeking twat.) We are considerably stronger in defence, and tactically much more aware.
The frustration comes in the final third of the park. There doesn't seem to be any clear strategy to the play, there isn't a great deal of movement off the ball, there isn't any plan as to how to get in between the lines of the opposition when coming forwards. It looks like we have spent most of our time at training working on our defensive shape, and the attacking plan is "get it up there quickly and run at them".
On top of this there was a real lack of desire from the strikers to get in to the six yard box and get on the end of things. Dreyer chipped a great ball over the keeper in the final minutes that should have been a tap in for an onrushing Cody Cooke.....but we had nobody there. And then the lack of quality and composure when we do get the chances is hurting us. Jackson v Killie, Duck v Celtic, Lyons v Hamilton all through on the keeper and none of them even managed a shot on target.
Plenty of work for the training ground. Maybe time to give Allan Russell a call and see if he fancies helping his old team out for a couple of weeks? Well, it not Allan then someone like that to give a bit of freshness to the training and build the confidence of these strikers.
MotM performance from Paul McGinn yesterday, thought he was very strong in defence and going forwards. Hladky saved us again at the end, we would probably be down already if not for the big man. Popescu and Flynn tremendous in the middle of the park. Would love to see more of Popescu's Lothar Matthaus impression, other teams really struggle to stop him when he starts charging forwards. Simeon Jackson put in a great shift, some great link up play and a great ball through to Lyons which should have put us ahead in the first half.
Has been pointed out enough above but Erhanon getting hung out to dry at left wing back needs to stop. A real weak link both in defence and going forwards. Any attack down that wing broke down as Ethan didn't seem to know how far forwards he could go. Lyons & Mullen offered very little and we can't really afford such little creativity from key attacking positions.
Dreyer was fairly quiet I thought, but shows a lot more composure than the other attackers when on the ball. The penalty looked like a dive to me though, disappointing if so.
Getting that 10th spot will come down to working out an attacking system that works. Possibly Jackson - Dreyer - McAllister is worth a go from now on. Jackson can link up well with the other two, both of whom look capable of having a shot from distance.
Good summation in general, most of which I agree with.

Having slated him for an inept performance against Dundee, I thought Dreyer was great yesterday.

I'd also give Erahon credit for what he did yesterday rather than criticise him for what he didn't.

Right so we conceded Wednesday night's game with Celtic to focus on this one, well that worked out well - 11 Cup Finals my arse. ^_^

Regarding yesterday's game Accies were still the sharper & more aggressive team and although I didn't think it was quite that bad I presume the penalty was our only shot on target.^_^^_^

Decent enough result in itself but in the context of the season disappointing it was certainly no re-run of the ENDOFTIME games against Falkirk many of us were hoping for.^_^^_^^_^

Pass marks to Dreyer for the DIVE :notworthy:headbang:clapping & scoring the subsequent penalty, Flynn & Hladky for a couple of brilliant saves more than making up for his fumble at the start of the second half!

Oh and FFS get some shooting practice in!

Possession
Home45%
Away55%
Shots
Home13
Away11
Shots on Target
Home6
Away1
Corners
Home7
Away5
Fouls
Home20
Away8

Edited by Bud the Baker

Let’s focus on the positives from yesterday as stats can be misleading. Thought that we looked a far better team than Hamilton particularly first half. Dreyer played his best game for us and hopefully there is more to come there. Our defence looks solid, our keeper is best we’ve had since Campbell Money and we just need to find that right blend middle to front and I think we might just do this great escape 2. 

Really enjoyed the atmosphere yesterday and our fans were brilliant all though the game - our players must get a lift from that and we have a big part to play in the five remaining games.  COYS !!!

29 minutes ago, Dare said:

Let’s focus on the positives from yesterday as stats can be misleading. Thought that we looked a far better team than Hamilton particularly first half. Dreyer played his best game for us and hopefully there is more to come there. Our defence looks solid, our keeper is best we’ve had since Campbell Money and we just need to find that right blend middle to front and I think we might just do this great escape 2. 

Really enjoyed the atmosphere yesterday and our fans were brilliant all though the game - our players must get a lift from that and we have a big part to play in the five remaining games.  COYS !!!

I agree that we looked a better side.

We could have been 3 up in the first half if Lyons was half as good as he thinks he is and the ref gets the penalty claim right.

Given what happened in the second half a point was just about the right result. We move on. but it's no longer in our own hands to finish 10th.

ETA: I wouldn't be disappointed if the number 14 jersey didn't see the light of day from now till season's end.

Edited by stlucifer

Not the ideal result, but it’s better to be 4 points behind than 7. Also good to have the 3 point advantage over Dundee.

I’d have taken 11th going into the split a long time ago. Time now to knuckle down, scrap and fight for every point possible. If we can’t catch Accies, we must do enough to keep Dundee at bay.

COYS!

16 minutes ago, Dare said:

We played some nice football in the first half but I seldom thought we looked the more likely team to score. The defence has only kept one clean sheet in fourteen games since the restart in January and there was more than one instance yesterday of our No. 1 problem this season - a poor clearance falling to an unchallenged opposition player at the edge of the box.

We have gelled over the past 6 weeks or so but I still reckon 11th place and the play-offs is the most likely outcome - COYS!

36 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

We played some nice football in the first half but I seldom thought we looked the more likely team to score. The defence has only kept one clean sheet in fourteen games since the restart in January and there was more than one instance yesterday of our No. 1 problem this season - a poor clearance falling to an unchallenged opposition player at the edge of the box.

We have gelled over the past 6 weeks or so but I still reckon 11th place and the play-offs is the most likely outcome - COYS!

Totally agree on our bad defensive habits. Poor clearances that normally land at the feet of the opposition's attacking midfielders and an inability to stop crosses coming into the box. Been the same all season.

We are two wins behind Hamilton now, Kearney's down right stupid decision to play a weakened team on Wednesday may be the one point difference from finishing 10th!

I mean who ever heard of a football team that should be fighting for every point to survive, actually thinking they are good enough (despite being bottom feeders all season) to just write off the chance of points? Its not like we played the reserves in a cup game to concentrate on league survival, we actually passed up the chance to get what we are desperate for now POINTS!

we've got Livi next, is Oran going to throw that one too and concentrate on the head to heads? 

We got one shot on target yesterday, who in their right mind thinks thats the sort of form that means you can write off the chance of points. Maybe this explains why Oran never won his diddy league? Perhaps he didnt grasp the importance of winning more points than at least one other team?

anyone think Livi are going to go easy on us? They will revel in the chance to show their strengths against the team they played second fiddle to last season. Well and Fakes will see us, and Dundee as three points for taking. Teams playing us know they only have to score, as we struggle to even get shots on target.

Frustrating yesterday but it could have been worse. We should have been out of sight by half time. Lyons could have had a hat trick. Good on the lad for getting into position but what is he thinking when he does? Jackon with 2 defenders round him slipped a great ball to Brad on his own in line with the penalty spot and only the keeper in front and he passes it straight back to Jackson (besides his other two 1on1 with the keeper)!

The team played well but hopefully Gary Mac can return for the rest of the games allowing Muzek to play wing back as Ethan does not have a clue out there and nearly cost us the game at the end with his indecision. Thanks goodness for Vaclav.

17 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Frustrating yesterday but it could have been worse. We should have been out of sight by half time. Lyons could have had a hat trick. Good on the lad for getting into position but what is he thinking when he does? Jackon with 2 defenders round him slipped a great ball to Brad on his own in line with the penalty spot and only the keeper in front and he passes it straight back to Jackson (besides his other two 1on1 with the keeper)!

The team played well but hopefully Gary Mac can return for the rest of the games allowing Muzek to play wing back as Ethan does not have a clue out there and nearly cost us the game at the end with his indecision. Thanks goodness for Vaclav.

Artificial shit hole at Livi probably rules Mac out for that one?

We are two wins behind Hamilton now, Kearney's down right stupid decision to play a weakened team on Wednesday may be the one point difference from finishing 10th!
I mean who ever heard of a football team that should be fighting for every point to survive, actually thinking they are good enough (despite being bottom feeders all season) to just write off the chance of points? Its not like we played the reserves in a cup game to concentrate on league survival, we actually passed up the chance to get what we are desperate for now POINTS!
we've got Livi next, is Oran going to throw that one too and concentrate on the head to heads? 
We got one shot on target yesterday, who in their right mind thinks thats the sort of form that means you can write off the chance of points. Maybe this explains why Oran never won his diddy league? Perhaps he didnt grasp the importance of winning more points than at least one other team?
anyone think Livi are going to go easy on us? They will revel in the chance to show their strengths against the team they played second fiddle to last season. Well and Fakes will see us, and Dundee as three points for taking. Teams playing us know they only have to score, as we struggle to even get shots on target.

Oh, for the love of god.

There were reasons for the “weakened” side and none of them were to do with throwing the towel in.

Ferdinand for McKenzie - GMac was not fit to play two games in 4 days having been out a year.
Corbu for McGinn - it was stated on here that McGinn was carrying a knock and wasn’t fit to play 90 mins.
McGinn for Lyons - upgrade.
McPherson for Dreyer - Tactical as we expected to have to defend more and this isn’t Dreyer’s strength.
Kellerman for Flynn - Flynn was injured. Ethan would likely have filled this role but was suspended.
Cooke for Mullen - Mullen has just played his first game in a while and Kearney clearly felt 3 games in a week would be too much.

I know that a huge part of your reason for being is to dig the BOD and the manager for anything that allows you to express whatever pent up aggression/frustration you have but you’re barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Maybe Kearney could’ve risked a couple of the above players but you would have been the absolute first to get on his back if we’d lost anyway and the likes of Flynn were then out for the Accies game or more.

Incidentally, the performance against Celtic with this weakened team was no better or worse than previous efforts.

Dry your f**king eyes and get over it.

27 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Oh, for the love of god.

There were reasons for the “weakened” side and none of them were to do with throwing the towel in.

Ferdinand for McKenzie - GMac was not fit to play two games in 4 days having been out a year.
Corbu for McGinn - it was stated on here that McGinn was carrying a knock and wasn’t fit to play 90 mins.
McGinn for Lyons - upgrade.
McPherson for Dreyer - Tactical as we expected to have to defend more and this isn’t Dreyer’s strength.
Kellerman for Flynn - Flynn was injured. Ethan would likely have filled this role but was suspended.
Cooke for Mullen - Mullen has just played his first game in a while and Kearney clearly felt 3 games in a week would be too much.

I know that a huge part of your reason for being is to dig the BOD and the manager for anything that allows you to express whatever pent up aggression/frustration you have but you’re barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Maybe Kearney could’ve risked a couple of the above players but you would have been the absolute first to get on his back if we’d lost anyway and the likes of Flynn were then out for the Accies game or more.

Incidentally, the performance against Celtic with this weakened team was no better or worse than previous efforts.

Dry your f**king eyes and get over it.

It wasn't anywhere near the performance of the previous game against them at GHR - OKs first in charge!

What happened to OKs 11 cup finals pledge?

Edited by Bud the Baker

It wasn't anywhere near the performance of the previous game against them at GHR - OKs first in charge!
What happened to OKs 11 cup finals pledge?

Mate, go back and watch the game you refer to. We had less possession, one more shot on goal and played against 10 men for almost an hour.

In terms of Oran’s quote, I genuinely don’t believe he gave the game up. There were some injuries to deal with and he decided to manage his squad based on fitness, the quality of the opposition, the games we’d played over a short period of time and the magnitude of the upcoming game against a relegation rival.

I’m pretty sure every manager, faced with the same set of challenges, would’ve done the same. Anyway, it’s done now and we’ve put ourselves in a decent position with 5 of the aforementioned “cup finals” to come.

Odd game yesterday. Made decent chances but never got a shot on target bar the pen. Looked the better team overall yet needed two great goal line clearances to take the point. Five cup final type games coming up but we seem to be up for the fight which is more than half the battle but we simply must improve the decision making in the final third.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

You are talking a load of mince again. And clearly know very little about football, which might be the root of all your problems on here. To the part I've highlighted Wolves and Southampton are two examples off the top of my head that I recall resting their best players when playing top sides in order to be fresh for more winnable games.

Big ask to go to Hamilton (our bogie team) and win. A point is in the cold light of day a good result and puts more pressure on Dundee who would now need to beat us by six goals to get out of bottom spot.  We still have better goal differenece than Hamilton and they have to come to Paisley.

While I don't feel confident about getting out of the play off or of avoiding relegation. If we get anything at Dens then surely that's us safe from bottom. Could sees us getting points in any of the remaining fixtures. Not giving up on avoiding the play offs yet.

Great spirit in the team .

You are talking a load of mince again. And clearly know very little about football, which might be the root of all your problems on here. To the part I've highlighted Wolves and Southampton are two examples off the top of my head that I recall resting their best players when playing top sides in order to be fresh for more winnable games.

I think Neil Warnock was quoted this week saying he was going to put his U23’s out against Man City to make sure his team were fresh for the relegation battle v Burnley next Saturday.

Whether he did or not isn’t the point. The fact that this practice is prevalent in football at the business end of the season is.

We need to work on our shooting, that game could've/should've been out of sight. On another note, great to see Flynn proving imbeciles who thought an English Championship player wasn't good enough to play in the Scottish Premiership wrong- he's been superb since being moved to his proper position. Him and Stephen McGinn when both are fit and not surrounded by utter drivel for a full season will be excellent.

Thought Dreyer was as good as he's been in the stripes.... Feel sorry for Cody, he has done a job when asked and offers far more than Jackson.

Musek, Popescu and Hladky are all absolute stars too - fair play to Gus, his signing policy has came a long way since the likes of Jim Hamilton and Alex Burke. 

Tactics and subs leave a lot to be desired but a point is a point and we're still in the mix. Onwards...