Hamilton vs St. Mirren 6th April 2019

16 hours ago, Big Yards said:

We looked a far better side when Muzek was left wing back against Dundee.

we could’ve played Ferdinand today in place of Mackenzie and kept Muzek out there rather than bringing the ineffective Erhahon back.

Yeah we could have but the manager thought differently and he picks the team... Ferdinand is passed it - sorry but he won't feature much more I suspect...

Guest TPAFKATS

I suspect a few posters on here are happy we didn't pick up 3 points yesterday as they feel it proves their point about resting players.

How much are the SPFL fining us for this weakened team we put out?

15 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Worrying for me is Hamilton can score goals from out play. Yet Hamilton have conceded more goals than anyone in the league but we can't score a goal from out play. Don't fix that we are going into a squeaky bum play off no doubt against Dundee United who beat us in Paisley. 

Hamilton have conceded the most goals and scored the fewest.

We should be adding to that in the return fixture . . . :guinness

Edited by Sweeper07

15 hours ago, Oldfellow said:

Don't like saying it about one so young but I see absolutely nothing there. I was actually glad whenhe was suspended 

Happy to say this - you very clearly don't know very much about football.

You think you know better than Oran - - -  HA  HA   !  :fire2

13 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

We,re doing ok , but now we need to probably make a couple of changes for our next game , maybe bring on Cooke , McKenzie and Magennis for Erahon , Mullen and Lyon . 

More than 11 players will be needed for these 5 remaining games. Though overall, we weren't bad yesterday, a few of our players had poorer games than their usual. That said, consistency, being good all the time, makes a player a better player.

I think Cooke and Jackson against Livi is a good call. If Magennis is fit great - but is he yet? IF he is, he may start on the bench and get 20 - 40 minutes.

MacKenzie is obviously a better option against Livi as they score a lot of their goals from set pieces and MacK is good in the air.

Mullen was not his best yesterday but against Dee he was fab . . . (2 games back from injury now though) 

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

You are talking a load of mince again. And clearly know very little about football, which might be the root of all your problems on here. To the part I've highlighted Wolves and Southampton are two examples off the top of my head that I recall resting their best players when playing top sides in order to be fresh for more winnable games.

Really like if you are desperate for points to survive, but you opt not to fight for them, then repeat you miserable form in the next game by getting one shot on target, which turned out to be a penalty you really shouldn't have had? Now thats clearly knowing very little about football, when the facts are staring you in the face.

how did we fare against Wolves and Southampton this season? Missed those game.

7 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Really like if you are desperate for points to survive, but you opt not to fight for them, then repeat you miserable form in the next game by getting one shot on target, which turned out to be a penalty you really shouldn't have had? Now thats clearly knowing very little about football, when the facts are staring you in the face.

Yeah - that was because you were on another planet - Planet LPM

When your arguments are clearly wrong - you need to learn to give in . . .   :toilet

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

What a load of Sh!te you spout.

Who "opted not to fight"? Most of the so called weaker replacements actually had reasonable games v Celtic.

I doubt we would have been any less vulnerable without the changes. In fact. On the strength of his performance, I would have started Cooke v Accies.

Of those who started the tic game I would have said only Nazon was an abstract failure and people were citing him the messiah a few weeks back.

Kellerman was poor but that's not to say who he replaced would have faired any better. 

I would be astounded if you thought OK should stick to the same 11 players for all games.

You’re just confusing yourself now. Was it a weakened team, did we just not fight for it or is our form just miserable?🤣

You really are a wee forum gem.

3 hours ago, DLBud said:

Mate, go back and watch the game you refer to. We had less possession, one more shot on goal and played against 10 men for almost an hour.

In terms of Oran’s quote, I genuinely don’t believe he gave the game up. There were some injuries to deal with and he decided to manage his squad based on fitness, the quality of the opposition, the games we’d played over a short period of time and the magnitude of the upcoming game against a relegation rival.

I’m pretty sure every manager, faced with the same set of challenges, would’ve done the same. Anyway, it’s done now and we’ve put ourselves in a decent position with 5 of the aforementioned “cup finals” to come.

........each game had its own set of circumstances but we put a lot more effort put into the first one against Celtic back in September compared to midweek, and the promised benefit of a fresh & invigorated team for the Accies match didn't happen - an experiment that failed!

4 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

........each game had its own set of circumstances but we put a lot more effort put into the first one against Celtic back in September compared to midweek, and the promised benefit of a fresh & invigorated team for the Accies match didn't happen - an experiment that failed!

We lost our 2 previous games to the Accies,  yesterday we didn't.  Fail to see how the "experiment " failed. 

57 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I suspect a few posters on here are happy we didn't pick up 3 points yesterday as they feel it proves their point about resting players.

How much are the SPFL fining us for this weakened team we put out?

I honestly don’t think Oran “weakened” us that much. Mack and Mullen were never going to start two games in a week after long layoffs. Plus Mullen has only scored against Dundee at home this season, it’s not like he’s been effective on a regular basis. Most, if not all of that team which feature in the final 5 games, and by all accounts it was only late on Celtic put the game to bed.

8 hours ago, munoz said:

We lost our 2 previous games to the Accies,  yesterday we didn't.  Fail to see how the "experiment " failed. 

It was a 2 game experiment, I believe we should have played our strongest available 11 for both games to benefit from continuity. We'd already done the hardwork in January/February the team had gelled, results were better - midweek we were up against a tired Celtic team who had already clinched the league and dropped a point against Livi yesterday. We also lost twice to Livi this season but got a victory over them last month with our improved squad so yesterday's result can't really be viewed as a success.

1 point from these 2 matches was the absolute minimum I expected, I think we'd have done better putting out our strongest 11 for both games (and sometimes that means putting out players who are less than 100% fit) we've got a 2 week break now for players to recover so unless you've got something better I'll stick with my opinion that it was a failed experiment. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

Echo what others are saying. We were a bit shot shy, could/should have been out of sight by half time.

Lyons gets himself into some brilliant positions, really direct player, I like him. Goals will come....

Support was tremendous.

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

What a load of Sh!te you spout.

Who "opted not to fight"? Most of the so called weaker replacements actually had reasonable games v Celtic.

I doubt we would have been any less vulnerable without the changes. In fact. On the strength of his performance, I would have started Cooke v Accies.

Of those who started the tic game I would have said only Nazon was an abstract failure and people were citing him the messiah a few weeks back.

Kellerman was poor but that's not to say who he replaced would have faired any better. 

I would be astounded if you thought OK should stick to the same 11 players for all games.

1 hour ago, DLBud said:

You’re just confusing yourself now. Was it a weakened team, did we just not fight for it or is our form just miserable?

You really are a wee forum gem.

Well there's two posters who have bought into Oran's theory that despite needing points to survive, you only really need to not try to get them to survive.

yesterday debunked his plan and heaped a load more pressure on himself and the team by only actually getting one non penalty shot on target. We are down here dor a reason, but for some odd reason some posters think Oran is the messiah and we are much better than we are.

fyi, Hamilton are coached by our former coach, who Oran let go. He seems to know what it taks to simply end up tenth.

1st half we were by far the better team with clearly a lot more energy.

We could easily have been out of sight by half time but for players making poor decisions.

We probably won’t get a better chance this year than Lyons got in the first 5 mins which we got from players working hard to close down 2nd half was a lot more even.

For you to call it a failure then you have to be mystic meg to know what would have happened if we put out our strongest 11 v Celtic then same 11 v accies.

We could easily of taken a hammering at home v Celtic then beat by accies.

It was a decent performance from the team yesterday but instead of some taking the positives on here they always search for stuff to beat the club, players or management with.

I very much doubt there will be any st mirren fans that wouldn’t have taken to be in this position when Stubbs was shown the door.

To get 4 points more than that accies team in the split is more than doable.

14 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Well there's two posters who have bought into Oran's theory that despite needing points to survive, you only really need to not try to get them to survive.

yesterday debunked his plan and heaped a load more pressure on himself and the team by only actually getting one non penalty shot on target. We are down here dor a reason, but for some odd reason some posters think Oran is the messiah and we are much better than we are.

fyi, Hamilton are coached by our former coach, who Oran let go. He seems to know what it taks to simply end up tenth.

Given you think OK left his best players out v the champions elect but still managed the same number of shots on target against better opposition, where do you get the idea that OK had given the game up before kick off or that he fielded a weakened team?

I really think you should put your shovel away.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

It was a 2 game experiment, I believe we should have played our strongest available 11 for both games to benefit from continuity. We'd already done the hardwork in January/February the team had gelled, results were better - midweek we were up against a tired Celtic team who had already clinched the league and dropped a point against Livi yesterday. We also lost twice to Livi this season but got a victory over them last month with our improved squad so yesterday's result can't really be viewed as special.

1 point from these 2 matches was the absolute minimum I expected, I think we'd have done better putting out our strongest 11 for both games (and sometimes that means putting out players who are less than 100% fit) we've got a 2 week break now for players to recover so unless you've got something better I'll stick with my opinion that it was a failed experiment. 

After got home last night spoke to my Hamilton season ticket holding mate (he was at Hospitality with a group of around 15 some he knew some he didn't). 

The general consensus from them at half time was we absolutely battered them first 25/30 minutes and they thought if we had scored then like some recent matches they would have crumbled to a heavy defeat. 

Not saying the experiment did or didn't work but think not taking advantage of our early pressure certainly didn't help our chances of victory. 

If we had took advantage and were sitting here after any sort of victory OK would be getting hailed a genius. 

The players let him down with our final pass/shot all day. 

18 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Given you think OK left his best players out v the champions elect but still managed the same number of shots on target against better opposition, where do you get the idea that OK had given the game up before kick off or that he fielded a weakened team?

I really think you should put your shovel away.

Besides the actual fact of how poor celtic were, and we, fielding guys that hadnt played in months were poorer. Oran actually said in his post match interview he expected that result. Or to put it another way he fielded a team he knew were incapable of competing.

the kicker is, on the night celtic, like a night afre years ago were there for the taking, but our manager had already accepted no points. Despite points being the very thing we need to survive.

now please enlighten me, you've been to as many, maybe more games than me. Have we looked like a side who could pass up the chNce of points in one game because we were the favourites to pick them up in another game?

it was a stupid, thick decision by a guy who is obviously out of his depth.

10 hours ago, Kemp said:

Very strange to see those regarding this as a bad result. Normally if you are in a head to head against a team you are happy with a draw away and a win at home. We've got the draw, shown we are a stronger team now, and now Hamilton need to come to Paisley after the split. We are still very much in with a chance of 10th spot.

Performance wise, it was frustrating once again. Let me say I fully support Oran & Gus, anyone that claims not to see the complete turnaround in our team since the first trip to Hamilton is just being willfully ignorant (aka an attention seeking twat.) We are considerably stronger in defence, and tactically much more aware.

The frustration comes in the final third of the park. There doesn't seem to be any clear strategy to the play, there isn't a great deal of movement off the ball, there isn't any plan as to how to get in between the lines of the opposition when coming forwards. It looks like we have spent most of our time at training working on our defensive shape, and the attacking plan is "get it up there quickly and run at them".

On top of this there was a real lack of desire from the strikers to get in to the six yard box and get on the end of things. Dreyer chipped a great ball over the keeper in the final minutes that should have been a tap in for an onrushing Cody Cooke.....but we had nobody there. And then the lack of quality and composure when we do get the chances is hurting us. Jackson v Killie, Duck v Celtic, Lyons v Hamilton all through on the keeper and none of them even managed a shot on target.

Plenty of work for the training ground. Maybe time to give Allan Russell a call and see if he fancies helping his old team out for a couple of weeks? Well, it not Allan then someone like that to give a bit of freshness to the training and build the confidence of these strikers.

MotM performance from Paul McGinn yesterday, thought he was very strong in defence and going forwards. Hladky saved us again at the end, we would probably be down already if not for the big man. Popescu and Flynn tremendous in the middle of the park. Would love to see more of Popescu's Lothar Matthaus impression, other teams really struggle to stop him when he starts charging forwards. Simeon Jackson put in a great shift, some great link up play and a great ball through to Lyons which should have put us ahead in the first half.

Has been pointed out enough above but Erhanon getting hung out to dry at left wing back needs to stop. A real weak link both in defence and going forwards. Any attack down that wing broke down as Ethan didn't seem to know how far forwards he could go. Lyons & Mullen offered very little and we can't really afford such little creativity from key attacking positions.

Dreyer was fairly quiet I thought, but shows a lot more composure than the other attackers when on the ball. The penalty looked like a dive to me though, disappointing if so.

Getting that 10th spot will come down to working out an attacking system that works. Possibly Jackson - Dreyer - McAllister is worth a go from now on. Jackson can link up well with the other two, both of whom look capable of having a shot from distance.

Totally agree about striker coach for next 7/10 days,no chance of Russell I'd imagine as last a heard of him he was coaching England strikers including harry kane,last time we had striker coach a believe was James Grady about 7 years ago,but he works for sfa now,get basher and yards down there,might be bit heavy now but still can teach about finishing, as the brain still works,just the old legs

5 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Besides the actual fact of how poor celtic were, and we, fielding guys that hadnt played in months were poorer. Oran actually said in his post match interview he expected that result. Or to put it another way he fielded a team he knew were incapable of competing.

the kicker is, on the night celtic, like a night afre years ago were there for the taking, but our manager had already accepted no points. Despite points being the very thing we need to survive.

now please enlighten me, you've been to as many, maybe more games than me. Have we looked like a side who could pass up the chNce of points in one game because we were the favourites to pick them up in another game?

it was a stupid, thick decision by a guy who is obviously out of his depth.

Where did we pass up the chance of points?

OK said in the after match interview that, and I quote, "That's to be expected", and that was in response to being told by the interviewer, "Tough night". He said NOTHING about keeping players fresh. In fact he said his decision was to do with bringing fresh players in for what he felt would be a hard shift.

At 1-0 we actually had a couple of chances to equalise and we only lost the second goal in the 85th minute so, I ask again, where did he "pass up the chance"?

With our so called best eleven we're bloody shot shy. We had as many shots on target v the best team in the country as we did v the, as it stands, the third worst team. Just because it wasn't your selection on the park doesn't mean it wasn't the right one.

It was a surprise to see Mullen and McKenzie v Dundee but that worked. Was he weakening his team that day or did Ok phone you to ask if that was OK?

Now. About that shovel...…………...

18 hours ago, Iamhammer said:

Alfie’s been on the bench a few times for Southampton. 

While Southampton are a Premiership club and he's still young, I wouldn't place too much importance on Jones being an unused sub at Southampton as a guide to him being a good signing for St Mirren in the premiership. I think that by the end of his time he was showing signs of having the potential to do well at our level if he kept learning and developing. 

Out of Stubbs' eleven signings Hodson was alright, Alfie Jones was alright over the piece and the 9 others didn't work out. Cody Cooke looks like he might have something to offer up front but whether he will be any better than the Duck (not premiership quality in my opinion), Jackson (not a great finisher at premiership level), Mullen (not a regular goal scorer at premiership / championship level) remains to be seen.

4 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

While Southampton are a Premiership club and he's still young, I wouldn't place too much importance on Jones being an unused sub at Southampton as a guide to him being a good signing for St Mirren in the premiership. I think that by the end of his time he was showing signs of having the potential to do well at our level if he kept learning and developing. 

Out of Stubbs' eleven signings Hodson was alright, Alfie Jones was alright over the piece and the 9 others didn't work out. Cody Cooke looks like he might have something to offer up front but whether he will be any better than the Duck (not premiership quality in my opinion), Jackson (not a great finisher at premiership level), Mullen (not a regular goal scorer at premiership / championship level) remains to be seen.

IT is fine to question these things - but we need to remember that Stubbs had a summer transfer window and OK came it with the window closed, signed some decent guys to keep us in the mix and unloaded an entire squad in the poorer January window. AND some much better players arrived...

Let's see what we bring in over the summer and offload some of the poorer player and short term fix guys . . .

In the meantime, some younger lads and others have gained a barrel load of experience in this league and should be better equipped for next.  :ph34r:

You just don’t quit do you?

Ok, since Brian Rice (who incidentally was approached by Accies and asked to leave) took over Hamilton they’ve played 10 league games winning 3, drawing 2 and losing 5 gaining 11 points in the process, scoring 7 and conceding 20.

Over the same period Saints have also played 10, winning 2 drawing 3 and losing 5, picking up 9 points. Over that period we’ve scored 8 and lost 12.

Not really much in it to be fair. Both teams have struggled to score and when Accies lose they generally get scudded, probably because they open up against the better teams.

Nothing is going to change the fact that you will never know if Kearney got it right or wrong on the Celtic game, even if we go down it won’t validate your point as there were another 6 games after that.

We did no better or worse against them last Wednesday than we have in the past and the players that came in did well.

It’s done. Let it go FFS.