If we stay up... Give us the family stand back.

6 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

It is clear that all your "evidence" comes from one side - that's fine - believe all these claims and "throw away comments" if you like and assume that "science has proved it all wrong", but that is naïve as anyone who has actually studied these things in higher education can tell you (much of it taught by atheists too)...many of the leading Scientists throughout time were Christians. That did not make them stupid nor unscientific, people like :- Kepler, Newton, Galileo, Pasteur, Francis Collins (DNA), Pinsent, Meitner, and Sir Francis Bacon who believed that science was a way to learn deeper truths about God, and once said "a little philosophy inclines man's mind to atheism, but DEEP in philosophy brings men's minds about to religion."  No one has proved their work to be wrong or their faith to be wrong either - by any scientific method. 

If you truly want to learn about Science and religion I would recommend Stanley Jakki's work -  one of his topics is "the spiritual dimension to reality" (This is a great way into learning about the supernatural - which you currently appear not to believe in) There are plenty others too like Joseph Murray, Peter Grunberg, Charles Townes, Allan Sandage whose scientific skills and intelligence have made ground breaking discoveries. Kenneth R Miller's investigation of Darwin is fabulous, Martin Nowak the evolutionary biologist, and many many more who not only are notable scientists but also notable for their Christian faith - some of whom only arrived there after "seeing God's thoughts after Him" (Kepler)

Others who are still leading scientists are Christians too - John T. Houghton, Joseph Taylor Jr., William Campbell, Antony Hewish, Brian Kobilka and Gerhart Erkl (Nobel prize winners), People like Frank Tipler and his Omega point (on resurrection of the dead)… I could go on, but I strongly suspect you won't do the investigation required - hope I am wrong for your sake alone...  Anyway I am out -   work to do etc...

Again, if you want to give me one shred of evidence from the other side please do, no one EVER has.

The Christian scientists are at a point of time in history, as we have became more advanced their successors have moved away from the creationist views. We'll never know but I would wager if many you mentioned was born in the last 30 years, they wouldn't have remained creationist Christians. The fact that scientists have moved away from the church who often funded them speaks volumes IMO. 

No one will ever disprove any religion, in the same way you can't disprove I am god. It is a non-argument. 

Yet again, none of those people have ever proved or provided a shred of evidence in the supernatural. If you think they have, please provide the peer reviewed, evidence backed papers? If it had actually happened they'd be world famous. 

As you have eluded to, there's a difference between claiming to be a Christian and believing in the teaching, how many of those people believe in Noah's Ark, the Tower of Babel, Adam & Eve, Jonah and lots of other supernatural stories? They also categorically have to accept that circumstance exists where it is okay to stone innocent animals to death and victim of sexual abuse are required to marry their attackers. They are fundamental to the belief, the supernatural ones were never touted as just stories before science began to say 'actually no that's wrong' 

Hamilton said they would open and give us that wee small temp stand if we sold out the big one at their game. Wonder if some of their fans have been crying about it for a three weeks [emoji38]
Probably just the ones that would have been kicked out of their own seats to make way for us!

I hazard a guess at less than a few/some/several hundred (delete as suits your argument)!

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji14]

27 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Hamilton said they would open and give us that wee small temp stand if we sold out the big one at their game. Wonder if some of their fans have been crying about it for a three weeks :lol:

I doubt it, its not open to home fans. 

Edited by Iamhammer

18 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Probably just the ones that would have been kicked out of their own seats to make way for us!

I hazard a guess at less than a few/some/several hundred (delete as suits your argument)!

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji14.png

Is that required for you to understand? Just looking to conclude on your level of common sense once and for all :rolleyes:

From today's "Chairman's Statement"...

The South Stand 

Having allocated the whole of the West stand to our own fans with such success in our Championship winning season we felt that we had to try to find a way to continue that arrangement in the Premiership.

We had to try and achieve that whilst still balancing the financial considerations of playing in a top flight where we are competing against other clubs who give over large areas of their stadium to big visiting supports.

As you know we took the decision to retain the use of W6 and W7 in the West Stand for home fans only for all games with Rangers and Celtic fans being allocated the South Stand in addition to the usual away end in the North Stand during their visits.

Whilst I appreciate this move caused disruption to our season ticket holders and supporters in the South Stand we have worked hard to ensure those fans requirements were met for the games in question through reduced ticket pricing and priority purchasing of re-allocated seats.

In short, the decision we took enabled us to increase our playing budget by 10% whilst also ensuring we retained the majority of seats for home fans and kept the West Stand exclusively for the use of St.Mirren supporters.

The competitive atmosphere in the first game against Celtic was fantastic and the gate that evening was as close to a sell out as we have been since we moved to the stadium back in 2009.

As a board we are unanimous that our ideal preference would be to retain the use of the South Stand for all our home matches exclusively for our own supporters, however, we also absolutely need to give ourselves the best chance of competing in this division.

Put bluntly, that additional playing budget could be the difference between survival and relegation. 

Until such time as home ticket sales or better still season ticket sales dictate otherwise, we plan to continue with the arrangement we have had this season.

Our hope is that our own support continues to grow and we eventually get to a point where demand will dictate that we are able to return the South Stand to our own supporters for every single game. 

Chairman latest update gives details on family stand. In short, the arrangement will continue unless SMFC fan base grows beyond the requirements of two stands. 

Bar people thinking he's lying, I guess it puts an end to the income and home fan numbers debate. 10% increase to player budget and the Celtic game early in the season put us as close to a sellout as we've been in 10 years, something we'd not see if fans were turning away in large numbers. 

Could have saved a lot of pain if this came out a month ago :lol:

The South Stand 

Having allocated the whole of the West stand to our own fans with such success in our Championship winning season we felt that we had to try to find a way to continue that arrangement in the Premiership.

We had to try and achieve that whilst still balancing the financial considerations of playing in a top flight where we are competing against other clubs who give over large areas of their stadium to big visiting supports.

As you know we took the decision to retain the use of W6 and W7 in the West Stand for home fans only for all games with Rangers and Celtic fans being allocated the South Stand in addition to the usual away end in the North Stand during their visits.

Whilst I appreciate this move caused disruption to our season ticket holders and supporters in the South Stand we have worked hard to ensure those fans requirements were met for the games in question through reduced ticket pricing and priority purchasing of re-allocated seats.

In short, the decision we took enabled us to increase our playing budget by 10% whilst also ensuring we retained the majority of seats for home fans and kept the West Stand exclusively for the use of St.Mirren supporters.

The competitive atmosphere in the first game against Celtic was fantastic and the gate that evening was as close to a sell out as we have been since we moved to the stadium back in 2009.

As a board we are unanimous that our ideal preference would be to retain the use of the South Stand for all our home matches exclusively for our own supporters, however, we also absolutely need to give ourselves the best chance of competing in this division.

Put bluntly, that additional playing budget could be the difference between survival and relegation. 

Until such time as home ticket sales or better still season ticket sales dictate otherwise, we plan to continue with the arrangement we have had this season.

Our hope is that our own support continues to grow and we eventually get to a point where demand will dictate that we are able to return the South Stand to our own supporters for every single game. 

Edited by bazil85

So that is this thread done and dusted - AYE right...

We need to be competitive and 10% on the playing budget is a decent chunk...

Long term - let's improve our squad, Team and results, grow the fan base and win trophies, get into Europe (and not just for our holidays) etc. etc.  :bounce2

1 minute ago, BuddieinEK said:

No surprise.
Yet again...
NO effort to increase home support.
NO attempt to generate the cash in other ways.
NO incentive to increase season ticket sales.

Just the status quo that was always going to be the case as it was the easiest option.

Beautifully spun tho!

You may or may not be correct...

But if claims are made, surely there are ways to substantiate them within our club? And if lies are being told - it will come out at some point...

IF not, then a bigger playing budget ought to give us a better chance of making improvements and to being a better team to watch. This may lead to an increasing fan base - but getting worse will have the opposite effect - lower crowds etc.

I don't doubt the BOD are hoping to make St. Mirren a better team and bigger club, and we all want that - top 6 year after year is a huge target, and doing well rather than fighting relegation .. . .

Is it possible? It is a tough business to be in though . . . but this BOD is the best we have had, at least in my living memory I think           . . .   :ninja

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

So what does 10% of the playing budget work out as then? Anyone have an idea?

This won't be exact because one figure is obviously at a point of time and this is our current squad but the average first team players wage released early in the season was £46,169 and we currently have a 24 player squad right now. 

Total budget £1,108,056

10% £110,805.

I imagine much like me he's comparing the extra income from one stand to two stands, as he makes it very clear he wanted to continue West for saints fans this season meaning the last arrangement was irrelevant.