Our Strip. What Next?

As I sat and watched the game at Hamilton on Saturday, the thought of our strip came into my mind when I noticed we were playing with Rangers style socks!  Over the years, the plethora of designs have ranged from the head scratching Croatia jersey, ice hockey referee to the present, first team strip depicting, as one poster aptly describe it as, ‘road-kill’. 

The change of design is presumably meant to encourage sales.  Well, I disagree.  Why buy a jersey when next season it will be superseded by another ‘new ‘one?  Are the sales that big to warrant these ephemeral changes?  I doubt it. 

I believe, we as Saints fans, must have some measure of consistency which symbolises our IDENTITY and that is the jersey.  Given that standard, I’m sure the sales would increase as fans adhere to the solidarity of a universally recognised design.  Right now, I think that recognition is slipping away.

We all have our own ideas of what constitutes a St Mirren strip but for me it is black and white stripes, WHITE shorts (not black – that’s Dunfermline-esque) and black and white socks.  The strip we had for the 2013 final has been the best in recent times.

So, perhaps the BoD could give the fans a say on what design we should have for next season.  Aren’t we a ‘community’ club?

I'd like to see a nice bright (mostly white) home kit, white shorts, black and white socks

Red away kit with black sleeves, black shorts and black and white socks 

Mocked up a quick design of each 

Also this time make sure they use a PNG version of the club sponsor when designing it, the big white patch is awful.

st mirren kits.png

Edited by Doakes

27 minutes ago, Doakes said:

I'd like to see a nice bright (mostly white) home kit, white shorts, black and white socks

Also this time make sure they use a PNG version of the club sponsor when designing it, the big white patch is awful.

Create a PNG but most importantly, remove the background layer when doing so or make that 100% transparent.

I've just learned how to use GIMP by weatching a few 20 minute tutorials, clearly I'm now an expert in all of it and I'm using this as a chance to show off. :P

And if I'm wrong? Well, I'm a beginner. What do you expect etc. :P

Edited by oaksoft

Just now, oaksoft said:

Create a PNG but most importantly, remove the background layer when doing so or make that 100% transparent.

I've just learned how to use GIMP by weatching a few 20 minute tutorials, clearly I'm now an expert in all of it and I'm using this as a chance to show off. :P

Gold star for Oaksoft :lol:

Slightly away from topic but can we get the tops done early this year.... last few seasons I’ve had to wear the previous seasons top whilst abroad. Bit of a missed opportunity sales wise too imo. Used to be on sale much earlier than previous seasons 

Whenever i see an adult with a football top on whilst on holiday i cringe. Ffs ok for weans but for adults to wear one stinks of " look at who i support, where i am from"...you are on holiday ffs stop trying to get people to look at you...why would an adult wear a football top? Don't get it myself...

Edited by gstretchuk

3 minutes ago, gstretchuk said:

Whenever i see an adult with a football top on whilst on holiday i cringe. Ffs ok for weans but for adults to wear one stinks of " look at who i support, where i am from"...you are on holiday ffs stop trying to get people to look at you...why would an adult wear a football top? Don't get it myself...

Maybe cos I like the top and support my club?

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

st mirren kits.png

Kudos for your photo manipulation skills but both of those are horrendous.

I was VERY close to awarding a "LIKE" to the OP, because there is so much that I agree with ............. but (sorry) I still favour black socks  !!! Just my choice TBH.

But this doesn't address my biggest gripe !!!

Surely there is something that can be done to make the shirt numbers and player's names more easily identifiable to the multitude of semi-blind old farts like myself that struggle to identify players  especially new signings ?

I hate getting old !!!

I think the previous posts illustrate very well, why fans picking the strip is no guarantee that we'll get a decent strip.

Can you imagine the meltdowns when certain posters don't get their own way.:lol:

On second thoughts, we should let the fans choose the strip. I'll get the popcorn at the ready.Party smiley 29

19 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I was at a Q&A or AGM a while back when some grumpy old fart complained about that issue, and GLS said “that will not be a problem next season” which indicates that we might be reverting back to an all black or all white rear shirt. Personally I’d rather stay true to our traditional kit and have stripes back and front.

I respect your opinion Yflab, let's ATD.

And thank you for your support at Darlington back in the day old buddy. 

2 hours ago, Doakes said:

st mirren kits.png

I really like the away top there.

1 hour ago, gstretchuk said:

Do you like anything?

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I was VERY close to awarding a "LIKE" to the OP, because there is so much that I agree with ............. but (sorry) I still favour black socks  !!! Just my choice TBH.

But this doesn't address my biggest gripe !!!

Surely there is something that can be done to make the shirt numbers and player's names more easily identifiable to the multitude of semi-blind old farts like myself that struggle to identify players  especially new signings ?

I hate getting old !!!

The Newcastle strip of this season had perfectly legible numbers and letters.

paininthearse.thumb.jpg.fb4072195caaca212fe7a539c4043635.jpg

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

2 minutes ago, Thorizaar said:

Great. The annual strip complaint thread a whole two months earlier than usual.

I suspect the club would be making plans before the end of the season with regards to who supplies and what designs the club will consider. 

If its an annual complaint then clearly the fans are not happy; and, as I said, why doesn't the club get the fans involved?