Welcome Back Lee Hodson

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

I don't see anyone suggesting that we didn't improve.

Considering just how shite we were before January, it would have been difficult not to show an improvement.

There a few players I'd like to see re-signed, but Hodson wasn't at the top of my list.

Me neither. I was never up nor down about him.

What he did bring though was versatility and competency in a number of defensive roles. The squad could definitely use someone like that.

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

20 points from the last 13 league games was 2nd best in the division, really ?

We hardly took a point from any team top 6 all season. We need better players than the squad that finished the season. The clamour to resign basically everyone is overly sentimental pish.

Guilty of mixing my stats up but it was still a creditable tally from our squad. We took points off Celtic, Hibernian, Hearts and Aberdeen. 4 out of  the top six.

11 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Nope.

If we had been a really good team, we would have had a much easier passage to safety against a pretty poor Dundee United team in the playoff games.

I don't know that I would gauge the measure of the team on an edgy 2 leg affair with so much at stake. They eventually got the result we craved.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Who knows? We shouldn't be planning for the season looking for a Hladky replacement. He's under contract so if any bids come for him, then you start to think about replacements.

At present we only need a new backup goalie and Holmes is as good a choice as any.

I get where you are coming from - but Gus's role is to look wider than this - can you imagine the uproar and effect if we lose Hladky  in the last week before the season starts and St. Mirren are taken by surprise and have no 'plan B' ?

This is not a highly unlikely event - Hladky has an agent touting him about normally, but on the back of saving us from relegation and 3 penalty saves and other pundits talking about how good he is, do you think he will still be here for our 1st league game?

The only issue might be the size of the fee...  :ninja   

P.S. I do hope I am wrong on this one  . . . .

10 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Guilty of mixing my stats up but it was still a creditable tally from our squad. We took points off Celtic, Hibernian, Hearts and Aberdeen. 4 out of  the top six.

7 points from a possible 54 ! A repeat will see us struggling again. We need far more quality than we ended the season with. Bar Popescu (and even he comes with a cost caveat) I will not be too sad if anyone from last season who is out of contract doesn't return. As fans we seem to be very guilty of being overly loyal / sentimental. I honestly think there will be more quality out there than the likes of Lyons, Hodson etc

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Who knows? We shouldn't be planning for the season looking for a Hladky replacement. He's under contract so if any bids come for him, then you start to think about replacements.

At present we only need a new backup goalie and Holmes is as good a choice as any.

He would but he wants game time which is unlikely to happen with us if Hladky stays.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/17682689.jordan-holmes-says-he-turned-down-afc-bournemouth-contract-offer-to-seek-regular-football/

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

7 points from a possible 54 ! A repeat will see us struggling again. We need far more quality than we ended the season with. Bar Popescu (and even he comes with a cost caveat) I will not be too sad if anyone from last season who is out of contract doesn't return. As fans we seem to be very guilty of being overly loyal / sentimental. I honestly think there will be more quality out there than the likes of Lyons, Hodson etc

I kinda agree with this.

Whilst I am a bit disappointed that we missed out on Hodson, losing him isn't shattering news. I'll be more disappointed if we miss out on Popescu or lose Hladky.

Ditto re Lyons and McAllister,  both decent players but neither of them would take us to where Tony feels we belong.

A close season re-build again. Thankfully that C*NT Stubbs isn't involved this time around. 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I kinda agree with this.

Whilst I am a bit disappointed that we missed out on Hodson, losing him isn't shattering news. I'll be more disappointed if we miss out on Popescu or lose Hladky.

Ditto re Lyons and McAllister,  both decent players but neither of them would take us to where Tony feels we belong.

A close season re-build again. Thankfully that C*NT Stubbs isn't involved this time around. 

Lyons was fecking rotten...

1 minute ago, gstretchuk said:

Lyons was fecking rotten...

Yes I agree that he was a big disappointment. He has ability but he was lacking in commitment.

That's why I wouldn't want him in our squad for next season.

Happy that you agree with me for once as normally you spout such pure shite.

19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yes I agree that he was a big disappointment. He has ability but he was lacking in commitment.

That's why I wouldn't want him in our squad for next season.

Happy that you agree with me for once as normally you spout such pure shite.

Thats where ur wrong again...he had no ability..he was slow, couldnt shoot, beat a man or tackle...

21 minutes ago, gstretchuk said:

Thats where ur wrong again...he had no ability..he was slow, couldnt shoot, beat a man or tackle...

He wasn't great but the stauner you've got for him and have had for him since he signed is frankly embarrassing. :lol:

Edited by djchapsticks

Would not have been unhappy if Hodson had stayed as cover however he is second choice for me in either full back position. Was probably on a good wedge with the new club and am sure Gillingham can pay a far higher wage in League 1 than we ever could. Good luck to him.

17 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

But Wilbur said he couldnae get a stauner? :rolleyes:

Erm, I think if you concentrate really hard you will realise that djchapsticks was replying to gstretchuk. Nothing to do with me old Arbroathybawz.

Most unlike you to make a complete tit of yourself, isn't it ? Oh wait, ………………..

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Erm, I think if you concentrate really hard you will realise that djchapsticks was replying to gstretchuk. Nothing to do with me old Arbroathybawz.

Most unlike you to make a complete tit of yourself, isn't it ? Oh wait, ………………..

Oh dear, you are having a mare. :lol:

You Grammarians are always good with the sweary words. :lol:

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Oh dear, you are having a mare. :lol:

You really ought to quit when you're behind. 

You are only compounding your stupidity by attempting deflection. You have made a rip-roarer of it and you are the point-and-laugh-at buffoon.

Have a nice evening !!!

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Would not have been unhappy if Hodson had stayed as cover however he is second choice for me in either full back position. Was probably on a good wedge with the new club and am sure Gillingham can pay a far higher wage in League 1 than we ever could. Good luck to him.

I looked up their average wage- its supposedly £1362 p/w. Probably more than we were offering I imagine. 

Guest TPAFKATS

So a guy who would've been a squad player chooses a better option, financially at least.
Can't say I'm particularly bothered. Hope it works out for him and we invest the money we aren't spending on his wages and any signing on fee on better quality.

10 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Did you forget our return after the players settled? Second best points total for the last 13 games. That squad of players were excellent once they got to know each other. Who knows where we would have been had they been recruited  pre-season.

Most will not return so we move on. Hopefully we manage to  get 2 out of the 3 we mentioned. Muzek and Popescu. Getting a fit Dreyer back would be a plus too.

EXCEELLENT? yet normally brutal to watch.

2 tentative and mistake-ridden games against accies, a first half shitfest at Dundee and a stultifying 2-legger v united do not an "excellent" team make

we got there, we got over the very last line available to us, in my book that makes us the  3rd from pishest team in the spfl top 14

live to fight again?  yes!   Anything like a survivor next season? a bit of a maybe

On 4/10/2019 at 10:21 AM, Bud the Baker said:

Started in every match for which he was available under OK up till the injury. 

Forced his way back into the team at the end so obviously rated by OK.  B)

I reckon he'd be an asset to any Bottom 6 side - no manager has a 100//% success rate with transfers - the question is how likely are we to replace him with an equal or better player on our budget?

Posters who reckon that'll be easy  must be smoking Top4Weed with Tony.

Edited by Bud the Baker