St Mirren v Hamilton Mon 13th May

27 minutes ago, gstretchuk said:

I can turn game off if shite and watch something else...no-way Saints will win this game....draw or 1-0 Accies all over it....

You ARE Elvis. If you are so pessimistic about our team then why bother supporting?  Regardless of who we have played since I started watching St Mirren in 60s I always went along with hope that on the day we could win against any team.

52 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

You ARE Elvis. If you are so pessimistic about our team then why bother supporting?  Regardless of who we have played since I started watching St Mirren in 60s I always went along with hope that on the day we could win against any team.

Pity the manager didn't share your view when playing Celtic...

It's our job to be THEIR Hamilton next Monday-provoke and bully them in equal measures.  The points won't be enough on their own, we need to try and draw some suspensions, rough them up and leave them knackered
This. We need to plsy them at yheir own game. But need to make sure we're not over enthusiastic and get someone sent off. Not a style of play were used to.

Like to see us start with two up fro t though. But not sure I'd start with the Duck and Cooke as per an earlier post, but I would start one of them alongside Mullen.

18 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

This. We need to plsy them at yheir own game. But need to make sure we're not over enthusiastic and get someone sent off. Not a style of play were used to.

Like to see us start with two up fro t though. But not sure I'd start with the Duck and Cooke as per an earlier post, but I would start one of them alongside Mullen.

I think after the foul on Mullen in the box on Saturday,  two of our players should gave been in the refs face , we need to see that kind of thing when it's a f**king dog fight we are in. .

15 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

This. We need to play them at their own game. But need to make sure we're not over enthusiastic and get someone sent off. Not a style of play were used to.

Like to see us start with two up front though. But not sure I'd start with the Duck and Cooke as per an earlier post, but I would start one of them alongside Mullen.

I'd like to see us play more free flowing passing on the deck. All season long it has been up in the air for headers. That suits them better than us. We have guys who can play football, but we are a bit too predictable - you know where each of our players will pass to and they are usually pretty static.

We really  have to play 2 up front - I'd start with Nazon and Mullen. Tell the Duck unless he is right up for staying on the park and working for a goal or two, then he will be subbed off. I would bring on Jackson (30-45 for the Duck unless he is playing his best game for us yet) as he has far more to offer than folk give him credit for. 

It is what we do in the middle of the park that matters a lot too...

14 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I think after the foul on Mullen in the box on Saturday,  two of our players should gave been in the refs face , we need to see that kind of thing when it's a f**king dog fight we are in. .

You are right, but he does have a tendency to fall a lot. But at this stage we should be fighting for everything... The stakes are high and we owe it to the fans not to finish below this mob of thugs...

Edited by Sweeper07

Hope to be proved wrong but i fear this fixture is destined to lead to a 'dive-fest' as all the Mullen's ( Danny & Fanny P. McMullan) roll around for 180 mintes plus added time in the double header playoffs. Hamilton are highly unlikely to miss two bites at the cherry, when they only need to avoid defeat against us.

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

I'd like to see us play more free flowing passing on the deck. All season long it has been up in the air for headers. That suits them better than us. We have guys who can play football, but we are a bit too predictable - you know where each of our players will pass too and they are usually pretty static.

We really  have to play 2 up front - I'd start with Nazon and Mullen. Tell the Duck unless he is right up for staying on the park and working for a goal or two, then he will be subbed off. I would bring on Jackson (30-45 for the Duck unless he is playing his best game for us yet) as he has far more to offer than folk give him credit for. 

It is what we do in the middle of the park that matters a lot too...

You are right, but he does have a tendency to fall a lot. But at this stage we should be fighting for everything... The stakes are high and we owe it to the fans now to finish below this mob of thugs...

Oran certainily has found a draw formula.................. we are quite " Gus " like now- Wonder how that happened :whistle 

Simply put this is a shot to stay up, we need to go for it against a team that has conceded 73 teams this season. Sit back for some cagey 1-0 is just playing into their hands

My only concern is- we are prety useless upfront- def better at the back and midfield but our reliance on Jackson and Mullen is frightening....., shame we let Ross Stewart go, that would have helped Jackson a lot.....................

We need goals, and if we do go into play offs, we will also need goals. We have scored 9 in our last 9 matches ( conceded 9 )

The desire is clearly there but tactically we are not setting up to win

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Oran certainily has found a draw formula.................. we are quite " Gus " like now- Wonder how that happened :whistle 

Simply put this is a shot to stay up, we need to go for it against a team that has conceded 73 teams this season. Sit back for some cagey 1-0 is just playing into their hands

My only concern is- we are prety useless upfront- def better at the back and midfield but our reliance on Jackson and Mullen is frightening....., shame we let Ross Stewart go, that would have helped Jackson a lot.....................

We need goals, and if we do go into play offs, we will also need goals. We have scored 9 in our last 9 matches ( conceded 9 )

The desire is clearly there but tactically we are not setting up to win

IF the manager and players are not right up for this one I'd be surprised - and although Hamilton should be too, they are not on a great run, other than managing to beat the worst team in the league by a dubious penalty.

I liked Ross Stewart, but think he has managed 11 goals in the Championship this season - He is not the answer right now. We have 4 strikers - so they should be vying for game time. The Duck can shield a ball well and is physically strong, he has a goal scoring record which has not materialised for us though; Mullen and Jackson are our top scorers (so probably the more likely to score again) and Cooke is up and coming - possibly a better version of Ross Stewart next season. He is most likely to get 20 - 35 minutes maximum as a sub. (Although actually this might be a game for him because he is physically up for it for 1/2 a game say).

The big deal is getting the 1st and hopefully 2nd goals  - they are not great but have shut up shop in defence better recently - but if they need to come out - they will be easier to expose further... and we need to go for the jugular and not sit back on a one goal lead....

I think we neither support the strikers well, nor play to their strengths - usually high balls rather than to feet. We need them to stretch Hamilton's 3 CB set up into wide areas and then go right through the middle with midfield support... Magennis perhaps, maybe MacAllister at times, maybe one of the McGinns - it is not a huge threat though is it?

I think our CB's could be a threat if we have free kicks into their box, but need to cover for them too. Perhaps it will be one of these days when things fall in our favour and our players hit the net as if they are lethal strikers - but we will soon see.. Goals from Jackson, and Magennis OR a McGinn for me - 2 v 0 3 lovely points . . . :guinness

51 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

IF the manager and players are not right up for this one I'd be surprised - and although Hamilton should be too, they are not on a great run, other than managing to beat the worst team in the league by a dubious penalty.

I liked Ross Stewart, but think he has managed 11 goals in the Championship this season - He is not the answer right now. We have 4 strikers - so they should be vying for game time. The Duck can shield a ball well and is physically strong, he has a goal scoring record which has not materialised for us though; Mullen and Jackson are our top scorers (so probably the more likely to score again) and Cooke is up and coming - possibly a better version of Ross Stewart next season. He is most likely to get 20 - 35 minutes maximum as a sub. (Although actually this might be a game for him because he is physically up for it for 1/2 a game say).

The big deal is getting the 1st and hopefully 2nd goals  - they are not great but have shut up shop in defence better recently - but if they need to come out - they will be easier to expose further... and we need to go for the jugular and not sit back on a one goal lead....

I think we neither support the strikers well, nor play to their strengths - usually high balls rather than to feet. We need them to stretch Hamilton's 3 CB set up into wide areas and then go right through the middle with midfield support... Magennis perhaps, maybe MacAllister at times, maybe one of the McGinns - it is not a huge threat though is it?

I think our CB's could be a threat if we have free kicks into their box, but need to cover for them too. Perhaps it will be one of these days when things fall in our favour and our players hit the net as if they are lethal strikers - but we will soon see.. Goals from Jackson, and Magennis OR a McGinn for me - 2 v 0 3 lovely points . . . :guinness

Mate. Accies are unbeaten in the split, like us 2 draws and a win................

Its not Ross's goals that I was talking about, it his ability to win in the air, we have no height upfront.

And - who exactly was the last CB to score for Saints this season ? 

Again we have no height which is why we dont score from set plays

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

Mate. 1. Accies are unbeaten in the split, like us 2 draws and a win................

Its 2. not Ross's goals that I was talking about, it his ability to win in the air, we have no height upfront.

And - 3. who exactly was the last CB to score for Saints this season ? 

Again 4. we have no height which is why we dont score from set plays

1. Unbeaten in the split but they have not played us and have played Dee. Take a look over the last 6 games  :-

Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts Last 6
1 Rangers 6 5 0 1 13 3 10 15
LWWWWW
2 Celtic 6 4 2 0 8 1 7 14
WWddWW
3 Kilmarnock 6 3 1 2 8 2 6 10
WdWLLW
4 St Mirren 6 2 3 1 8 7 1 9
WLDWDD
5 Hibernian 6 2 3 1 5 4 1 9
WdWdDL
6 Aberdeen 6 3 0 3 7 8 -1 9
LWWWLL
7 Motherwell 6 2 2 2 10 11 -1 8
WLLDWD
8 St Johnstone 6 2 2 2 6 7 -1 8
LWLWDD
9 Livingston 6 1 3 2 8 9 -1 6
LWdLDD
10 Hamilton 6 1 3 2 6 12 -6 6
LLDDDW
11 Hearts 6 1 1 4 5 11 -6 4
WLLLDL
12 Dundee 6 0 0 6 4 13 -9 0
LLLLLL

We are scoring more and losing less. And winning 3 points on them over these games. The Dee game should be a further 3 points on them, and if we beat them it is celebrations in Paisley. THEY are   

2.      I think the Duck and Cooke have ability in the air up front - how many crosses have our strikers had to get a header on all season? Not too many - right...

3. Until recently Oran has not been keen on our CB's going upfield. But MacK, Baird and Popescu are all good in the air - The 1st two of these have scored for us in the past.

4, So we need crosses and free kicks to be met by Baird, MacK, Popescu, Cooke, Nazon and even the smaller guys who get away from their markers - but the crosses need to be decent . . . .

Over the last five games we have the same form on paper as Hamilton. 3 draws, 1 win, 1 loss. So really it doesnt matter, its all about who will go out and try to win the game from the off?

the longer it remains 0-0 the more obstinate and frustratating, time wasting etc will be deployed. If they go ahead, again mote of the same. We have to score first to commit them to play, then we can dissect them bit by bit. Biggest fear is Oran being his cautious self, playing the. Midgets up front and not getting us into the game,which will suit Accies down to the ground.

said before, start with The Duck & Cooke up front and batter them with crosses, set pieces and long balls into the channels. Then if we've got a lead to defend second half, throw on the midgets to roll around picking up fouls, bookings etc. If Kearney goes cautious we will concede and get done.

11 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Over the last five games we have the same form on paper as Hamilton. 3 draws, 1 win, 1 loss. So really it doesnt matter, its all about who will go out and try to win the game from the off?

the longer it remains 0-0 the more obstinate and frustratating, time wasting etc will be deployed. If they go ahead, again mote of the same. We have to score first to commit them to play, then we can dissect them bit by bit. Biggest fear is Oran being his cautious self, playing the. Midgets up front and not getting us into the game,which will suit Accies down to the ground.

said before, start with The Duck & Cooke up front and batter them with crosses, set pieces and long balls into the channels. Then if we've got a lead to defend second half, throw on the midgets to roll around picking up fouls, bookings etc. If Kearney goes cautious we will concede and get done.

You obviously rate the Duck, What is it your seeing that I don't.. 

25 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Over 4 foot 2... bullies players, doesnt roll around, scores goals.

For his size he is soft as shite from what I have seen and his first touch is terrible.  There will be nor should there be any wholesale changes. It's a must win game so it defies logic you would drop your top two scorers. Thankfully Oran is in charge and isn't that foolish !

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

24 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

For his size he is soft as shite from what I have seen and his first touch is terrible.  There will be nor should there be any wholesale changes. It's a must win game so it defies logic you would drop your top two scorers. Thankfully Oran is in charge and isn't that foolish !

Saturday was a must win game and neither of these two got a shot on target. All four of the strikers offer something different, I just think we need to mix them up for this game, especially as we have lost the creative ability of Dryer and possibily Flynn

19 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Just the two goals in 11 appearances for the goal machine.

He's in the Stephane Bahoken category for me. An absolute waste of a signing. 

Whats Mullen's return like?

is it so much better? Five league goals all season and Jackson with six in twenty nine!

4 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

All Hamilton need to do is sit tight and frustrat us they only need one point. We have to go for this. 

I would genuinely change the ball boys for this by using the U16's or at least older kids.  Some of the children at the St Johnstone game seemed to take ages getting the ball back,

Edited by Iamhammer

25 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

is it so much better? Five league goals all season and Jackson with six in twenty nine!

Danny's return is 6 goals in 26 appearances. Jackson 6 in 31.

Nazon is a poor footballer and a non existent goal scorer. This is shown by his performances in a St.Mirren strip and OK's picking of Mullen & Jackson over him. So, it would suggest the manager isn't too fond of him either.

Not sure why you're championing picking two bit part strikers in Nazon & Cooke to lead the line in our most important game of the split. 

A ridiculous suggestion tbh and makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

You do love to limit your statistics in one post and then ignore this in one of your next posts following that.  Let me explain it especially for you -   :bounce4

You were speaking about over the LAST FIVE games (Not 6 or 10 as is normal on all recent form websites) saying that we had taken the same number of points as Hamilton. (Blindly ignoring who each of us played and the significant difference in goals scores and conceded during these FIVE games. They have conceded almost twice as many goals as us over these last 5 games - and it is even worse for them over the last 6 and 10 games.

NOW - you move on to Mullen and say he has scored 5 goals all season:-

Firstly, he was injured for many games, but secondly over these past FIVE games He scored the crucial 2nd goal when we were 1 v 1 with Livi which we then went on to take ALL 3 points; AND the last minute equaliser against the Fakes after working his socks off for 94 minutes...

Over these same 5 games, Magennis equaliser won us 1 point and in the Livi game McGinn and Jackson also got a goal each...

So who else is scoring for us and what is there contribution to us scoring like?    :spud6

Tall CB's in my experience actually find shorter guys often more difficult to play against - ok, in the air it is less a problem, but on the deck it is. Shorter guys have to have an advantage in some way or all strikers would be tall - RIGHT ?

Edited by Sweeper07

1 hour ago, Iamhammer said:

I would genuinely change the ball boys for this by using the U16's or at least older kids.  Some of the children at the St Johnstone game seemed to take ages getting the ball back,

It's a good idea Hamilton will try every trick in the book. 

1 hour ago, Iamhammer said:

As Liverpool did last night . . .   :magic