BBC Sport Scotland Online Survey

Got the chance to fill in a survey on the BBC Sport Scotland website and my reply about the site was the same as the previous few seasons: 

I support St Mirren and specifically do not like either Celtic or Rangers and I intensely dislike the amount of coverage given to Rangers and Celtic and the lack of news about other clubs. I also think the Scottish Championship deserves more coverage than it gets, eg the title and promotion places are all up for grabs and almost everyone else could get relegated. 

But the thing I ABSOLUTELY HATE WITH A PASSION is that any time I watch a video on Scottish football (eg highlights of a St Mirren game) the autoplay options on the video settings always take you away from Scottish football to English football and usually to English managers being interviewed post-match. It happens 100% of the time. I have no interest in English football at all, and if I am watching highlights of St Mirren this season the next sets of highlights I would naturally want to watch are the Hamilton and Dundee games to see how our relegation rivals got on and how they played. I have watched a few English Premiership highlights to see if autoplay redirects English football fans to post-match interviews with Oran Kearney, Brian Rice, Tommy Wright, Neil Lennon etc and to my surprise autoplay sends website users watching English highlights to other English football videos. Why has an editorial decision obviously made at the BBC (a few years ago) to redirect website users from Scottish football videos to English football videos?? I have mentioned this in 2 previous BBC Sport Scotland surveys and may well start asking MSPs and MPs why BBC has made an editorial decision on these lines. Maybe next year on April Fools Day you could have 1 day where English fans get redirected to Scottish managers talking about Scottish games just after they have watched highlights of Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool etc and gauge their feedback on whether they like being treated the way Scottish football fans are by the BBC?

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Blimey.

If anyone ever needs an example of "chip on shoulder" or perhaps "first world problems", I think we can safely direct them to DOP's post above. :D

By "chip on shoulder" you infer that DOP's comments are irrational or misdirected.

I am always amazed at the number of Scots that are quite content with the democratic deficit which we experience in Scotland where the UK is in effect "Greater England" and Scotland is treated no differently from a shire in England. Perhaps we should rename Scotland as 'Scotlandshire' to more accurately reflect the reality of our situation.

As a nation within the UK we have no say (as a nation) on major decisions affecting all the home nations - eg Brexit or as it should be more accurately called 'Eexit'. Instead we are outnumbered 10-1 on a population basis. We would have more of a say as an independent nation in the EU if that ever comes about.

This is about Scottish autonomy and not necessarily Scottish independence per se, although I would have no objection to the latter.

DOP's comments are just one example of our 'shiredom' status within the UK and unless this is addressed as a matter of urgency there is likely to be only one political outcome in the longterm.

15 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

By "chip on shoulder" you infer that DOP's comments are irrational or misdirected.

Nope. I'm  saying he is seeing conspiracy where none exists and even if it did exist it makes no material difference to anyone's life.  Whether DOP likes it or not, those links are from one BRITISH football site to another BRITISH football site and we did actively vote in clear numbers to remain BRITISH in 2014. To play the English/Scottish  card continually is just grievance politics and is entirely negative and re-affirms our nation's reputation as being bitter.

There are many things you can complain about as regards the BBC (in particular the dumbing down and sensationalising of seemingly everything on their website e.g. What Do You Feed Your Dog) but links from one webpage to another are a bit pathetic.

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Nope. I'm  saying he is seeing conspiracy where none exists and even if it did exist it makes no material difference to anyone's life.  Whether DOP likes it or not, those links are from one BRITISH football site to another BRITISH football site and we did actively vote in clear numbers to remain BRITISH in 2014. To play the English/Scottish  card continually is just grievance politics and is entirely negative and re-affirms our nation's reputation as being bitter.

There are many things you can complain about as regards the BBC (in particular the dumbing down and sensationalising of seemingly everything on their website e.g. What Do You Feed Your Dog) but links from one webpage to another are a bit pathetic.

I don't think DOP is claiming any conspiracy theory here - just stating a hard fact of life as it exists at EBC.

But as you have reminded us, a majority of Scots are quite comfortable with this arrangement.

2 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

I don't think DOP is claiming any conspiracy theory here - just stating a hard fact of life as it exists at EBC.

But as you have reminded us, a majority of Scots are quite comfortable with this arrangement.

Yeah I think most people are quite comfortable with it. I suspect most people don't even notice this sort of thing in the scheme of things happening in their lives.

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Blimey.

If anyone ever needs an example of "chip on shoulder" or perhaps "first world problems", I think we can safely direct them to DOP's post above. :D

Your reading the post wrongly obviously you don't go to the BBC Scottish football site. Its not about anti English and shame on you for thinking it is. If you are on the Scottish Premiership page and you want to read about Scottish Lower leagues there is no direct link. You click on football which takes you the English premiership from there you have to scroll the page for a link to say the Scottish championship. Then if you want to go to division one you have to go through the whole process again. Its frustrating. A link to all Scottish league's from the Scottish Premiership would be logical but it's not there. Put your anti English accusations in the dust bin it does not exist.

I wasn't claiming any kind of conspiracy.

I don't think it is controversial to conclude that when 100% of videos from the BBC Scottish Football / Scottish Premiership . Scottish Championship webpages take you away from those pages to videos about English football that there has been an editorial decision that the website should direct users towards content on the English Premiership. In much the same way as BBC pay the presenters and pundits more for Match of the Day 1,2,3, than they give to all Scottish clubs combined for their TV coverage of the Scottish leagues- eg it is well known that it costs clubs to have BBC Alba cover your home match and pay £1k but wipe more than that off the gate money. The BBC asked me my opinion on how I found the content on their Sport Scotland webpages and I told them what I dislike about they work at the moment - i.e. they take you away from their own pages on Scottish football and automatically redirect you to videos on English football. It would be like the BAWA forum redirecting you to a Morton (or Old Firm) forum every time you leave one topic and go to look at another!

One reason why English football is better than Scottish football is that broadcasters took a decision 20-30 years ago to throw vast amounts of money at TV coverage of English football meaning that Scottish clubs can't compete financially with the income English clubs get from TV.

I stopped being interested in the English Premiership and Champions League when players began earning multiple millions of pounds per year to play football and when presenters and pundits for English football shows began earning more than some of the best players based in Scotland. 

10 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I wasn't claiming any kind of conspiracy.

I don't think it is controversial to conclude that when 100% of videos from the BBC Scottish Football / Scottish Premiership . Scottish Championship webpages take you away from those pages to videos about English football that there has been an editorial decision that the website should direct users towards content on the English Premiership. In much the same way as BBC pay the presenters and pundits more for Match of the Day 1,2,3, than they give to all Scottish clubs combined for their TV coverage of the Scottish leagues- eg it is well known that it costs clubs to have BBC Alba cover your home match and pay £1k but wipe more than that off the gate money. The BBC asked me my opinion on how I found the content on their Sport Scotland webpages and I told them what I dislike about they work at the moment - i.e. they take you away from their own pages on Scottish football and automatically redirect you to videos on English football. It would be like the BAWA forum redirecting you to a Morton (or Old Firm) forum every time you leave one topic and go to look at another!

One reason why English football is better than Scottish football is that broadcasters took a decision 20-30 years ago to throw vast amounts of money at TV coverage of English football meaning that Scottish clubs can't compete financially with the income English clubs get from TV.

I stopped being interested in the English Premiership and Champions League when players began earning multiple millions of pounds per year to play football and when presenters and pundits for English football shows began earning more than some of the best players based in Scotland. 

I am watching the Killie St Johnstone highlights right now.

Directly below that video is a section called Around Scottish Sport with links including the Hearts Inverness game and a video about Arbroath.

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

If you are on the Scottish Premiership page and you want to read about Scottish Lower leagues there is no direct link. You click on football which takes you the English premiership from there you have to scroll the page for a link to say the Scottish championship. Then if you want to go to division one you have to go through the whole process again. Its frustrating. 

That is not the only route to the Scottish Lower Leagues pages from the Scottish Premiership page but frankly it's not a surprise to anyone that you can't fathom out the other more obvious and faster route. :lol:

You certainly don't have to go via the English league pages. :lol:

Edited by oaksoft

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

That is not the only route to the Scottish Lower Leagues from the Scottish Premiership but frankly it's not a surprise to anyone that you can't fathom out the other more obvious and faster route.

I'm well able to seek out the Scottish Championship or Leagues 1 and 2 when I want to read news from them. You seem to be ignoring the main point I was making that any video on BBC Scottish Football automatically sends you away from Scottish football to English football videos automatically and English football videos never seem to send anyone to BBC Scottish coverage. If you are keen to stress we are all British why is the direction 100% away from Scotland towards and never reversed from English football back to Scottish football?

11 hours ago, northstbuddie said:
13 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Blimey.

I am always amazed at the number of Scots that are quite content with the democratic deficit which we experience in Scotland where the UK is in effect "Greater England" and Scotland is treated no differently from a shire in England. Perhaps we should rename Scotland as 'Scotlandshire' to more accurately reflect the reality of our situation.

As a nation within the UK we have no say (as a nation) on major decisions affecting all the home nations - eg Brexit or as it should be more accurately called 'Eexit'. Instead we are outnumbered 10-1 on a population basis. We would have more of a say as an independent nation in the EU if that ever comes about.

This is about Scottish autonomy and not necessarily Scottish independence per se, although I would have no objection to the latter.

DOP's comments are just one example of our 'shiredom' status within the UK and unless this is addressed as a matter of urgency there is likely to be only one political outcome in the longterm.

I am going to disagree with both these posters ............... because DOB is absolutely right in questioning BBC Scotland as to why the hell people in Scotland would want to NOT watch Scottish football.  I live in England currently but it really pees me off when I watch a supposedly Scottish sports show and end up with English football, so DOB is well within his rights to challenge the Beeb.  Yes and although I enjoy lots of Oaksofts posts, comment and ribaldry, it would appear to me to be him that has the Chip on their /his shoulder/s , if you want to moan about BRexit ............ there chatting about THAT elsewhere, this was a sports discussion. B)

11 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I'm well able to seek out the Scottish Championship or Leagues 1 and 2 when I want to read news from them. You seem to be ignoring the main point I was making that any video on BBC Scottish Football automatically sends you away from Scottish football to English football videos automatically and English football videos never seem to send anyone to BBC Scottish coverage. If you are keen to stress we are all British why is the direction 100% away from Scotland towards and never reversed from English football back to Scottish football?

Then switch off the auto- option on videos and you won't be directed away to anything.

For goodness sakes. Of all the problems worth worrying about in life, this surely isn't one of them!

6 hours ago, jaybee said:

I am going to disagree with both these posters ............... because DOB is absolutely right in questioning BBC Scotland as to why the hell people in Scotland would want to NOT watch Scottish football.  I live in England currently but it really pees me off when I watch a supposedly Scottish sports show and end up with English football, so DOB is well within his rights to challenge the Beeb.  Yes and although I enjoy lots of Oaksofts posts, comment and ribaldry, it would appear to me to be him that has the Chip on their /his shoulder/s , if you want to moan about BRexit ............ there chatting about THAT elsewhere, this was a sports discussion. B)

Whit? :lol:

What exactly do you think I have a chip on my shoulder about?

Oh and I made no mention of Brexit. :blink:

You got me mixed up with northstbuddie. :D

Edited by oaksoft

The problem is that the BBC spends an inordinate amount of money on being able to cover English games, money which is collected across the whole of the UK.  In order to justify this, they will push the FA premiership at every turn.  The hits on the website will almost certainly be reported as evidence of the continued interest in the Premiership.

Roughly, the BBC collects £324million a year from Scottish license holders and spends £223 of that in Scotland, much of that is earmarked for a range or UK programming and is not Scotland only output.  Subrscibers in the Republic of Ireland are paying around £27 million for access to the entire output of the BBC.  If we had an arrangement where Scotland collectively paid a similar figure to the BBC then we could use the rest for the development of talent and good quality output in Scotland, including a decent fee that helps develop Scottish football.

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

The problem is that the BBC spends an inordinate amount of money on being able to cover English games, money which is collected across the whole of the UK.  In order to justify this, they will push the FA premiership at every turn.  The hits on the website will almost certainly be reported as evidence of the continued interest in the Premiership.

Roughly, the BBC collects £324million a year from Scottish license holders and spends £223 of that in Scotland, much of that is earmarked for a range or UK programming and is not Scotland only output.  Subrscibers in the Republic of Ireland are paying around £27 million for access to the entire output of the BBC.  If we had an arrangement where Scotland collectively paid a similar figure to the BBC then we could use the rest for the development of talent and good quality output in Scotland, including a decent fee that helps develop Scottish football.

Maybe if they stopped River City we could get more quality

What a load of shite !!!!

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:
15 hours ago, jaybee said:

Whit? :lol:

What exactly do you think I have a chip on my shoulder about?

Oh and I made no mention of Brexit. :blink:

You got me mixed up with northstbuddie. :D

Edited 8 hours ago by oaksoft

You are correct re NSB, apologies dear sir.............................but I was on a roll.  :D