That Fire

Guest TPAFKATS

Big iconic building goes on fire, no one killed, can be rebuilt and restored. Millions pledged already to fund it.

Meanwhile 7 police officers injured in a call out gets pushed down the running order as ITN thought it more important to interview the English ambassador (his words) to France about how his kids had trouble getting to sleep.

3 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Big iconic building goes on fire, no one killed, can be rebuilt and restored. Millions pledged already to fund it.

Meanwhile 7 police officers injured in a call out gets pushed down the running order as ITN thought it more important to interview the English ambassador (his words) to France about how his kids had trouble getting to sleep.

I have to say that personally I would want to see Notre Dame take the headlines at the moment.

If we focussed purely on death and injury we'd never hear about anything else.

This is not just a building. This thing was being built less than 100 years after the 1066 Battle of Hastings.

That building predates Shakespeare, Bannockburn, William Wallace, the discovery of gravity, quantum mechanics, the steam engine, Edward 1, Henry the Eighth and much of the Crusades.

It is a magnficent building, steeped in culture, art, history and architecture. There aren't many buildings left which can boast that.

It's a shame that we can't have a few days where something genuinely important is leading the news without someone complaining.

Don't worry though, we'll be back to the depressingly endless catalogue of humans killing and maiming again within the week.

Guest TPAFKATS
I have to say that personally I would want to see Notre Dame take the headlines at the moment.
This is not just a building. This thing was being built less than 100 years after the 1066 Battle of Hastings.
That building predates Shakespeare, Bannockburn, William Wallace, the discovery of gravity, quantum mechanics, the steam engine, Edward 1, Henry the Eighth and much of the Crusades.
It is a magnficent building, steeped in culture, art, history and architecture. There aren't many buildings left which can boast that.
It's a shame that we can't have a few days where something genuinely important is leading the news without someone complaining.
Don't worry though, we'll be back to the depressingly endless catalogue of humans killing and maiming again within the week.
I don't have an issue with it being reported and being the main feature. It's the way news feels the need to have so much chaff around the story that other genuine news gets overlooked or pushed down the report as they try to find additional angles.
The story on itself is sufficient, the rest just trivialises it.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

A hope your right bored kid GIF

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

We had to leave Love St. - get over it! 

10 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

I don't have an issue with it being reported and being the main feature. It's the way news feels the need to have so much chaff around the story that other genuine news gets overlooked or pushed down the report as they try to find additional angles.

That was my point Tripoli is falling hundreds being killed . There is plenty news stories out there. A great building is burning I get that being the news headline but night after night. 

12 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

I hate dumbing down as much as anyone else TBH.

Edited by oaksoft

Just now, Vambo57 said:

All this fundraising... Does The Catholic church not Insure their Buildings, or would no Insurance company touch it?

I was reading into that the other day. The building used to belong to the French state, (French ministry of culture) but in recent years they could no longer afford to maintain it due to budget cuts. Ownership was transferred to a group called, "The Friends of Notre-Dame de Paris",  which was created as a charity by the Archbishop of Paris and the Diocese of Paris. Fortunately for the building, and the Archbishop of Paris - this means they can accept these huge donations from various billionaires with no tax issues. The French state is meant to provide self-insurance for any religious building built prior to 1905.

1 minute ago, Doakes said:

I was reading into that the other day. The building used to belong to the French state, (French ministry of culture) but in recent years they could no longer afford to maintain it due to budget cuts. Ownership was transferred to a group called, "The Friends of Notre-Dame de Paris",  which was created as a charity by the Archbishop of Paris and the Diocese of Paris. Fortunately for the building, and the Archbishop of Paris - this means they can accept these huge donations from various billionaires with no tax issues. The French state is meant to provide self-insurance for any religious building built prior to 1905.

So that's why the French Gov are looking to be bailed out then...

Guest TPAFKATS
All this fundraising... Does The Catholic church not Insure their Buildings, or would no Insurance company touch it?
Don't think the Catholic Church has the wealth to pay for these things [emoji6]

As far as the press are concerned in this country , I still think what George Orwell said about them after trying to get his satire Animal Farm published , is still relevant today. .

The chief danger to freedom of thought and speech at this moment is not the direct interference of … any official body. If publishers and editors exert themselves to keep certain topics out of print, it is not because they are frightened of prosecution but because they are frightened of public opinion. In this country intellectual cowardice is the worst enemy a writer or journalist has to face. … The sinister fact about literary censorship in England is that it is largely voluntary.

8 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

The chief danger to freedom of thought and speech at this moment is not the direct interference of … any official body. If publishers and editors exert themselves to keep certain topics out of print, it is not because they are frightened of prosecution but because they are frightened of public opinion. In this country intellectual cowardice is the worst enemy a writer or journalist has to face. … The sinister fact about literary censorship in England is that it is largely voluntary.

I think the chief danger to freedom of speech in the internet age comes from the number of people who genuinely believe that because they CAN say something, they SHOULD say something. We now have quantity over quality on almost every topic you care to name.

That dilutes the quality of all debates because people have to sift through the shite to find things they can actually trust. As humans are inately lazy, they resort to either believing what their mates believe or shutting down the thinking process altogether. The net result is that important things are either treated in an ineffective way or they are left to rot. Climate change, pollution, renewables, plastic, medicines, you name it. Any idiot with an internet connection can and will spout any old drivel and the real experts are drowned out.

That IMO is the great danger.

Edited by oaksoft

On 4/18/2019 at 1:16 PM, Doakes said:

Bet if this happened to Historical building in UK the taxpayer as usual would foot the bill, feck i sound like a grumpy old man.

5 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

Now IOBS tries to get the public sympathy emoji6.png

BBC News - Series of wildfires burning on the Isle of Bute
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47993360

Not so fast.

There is an article about bees which survived the Notre Dame fire.

Alternatively, headlining right now is a story about a couple who had to re-arrange their wedding.

Exciting stuff.

2 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, FTOF said:
Ahem.
https://www.ft.com/content/93ad1922-ea1f-11e6-893c-082c54a7f539
A much slower destruction, but a similar end result in terms of refurbishment requirements.

There's a paywall, give us the gist of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/31/mps-set-to-leave-houses-of-parliament-for-35bn-restoration