Climate Change

Having watched last night's programme on BBC it certainly had my attention.. To see a satellite map of the earth with forests disappearing all over the world at an alarming rate, trees take out CO2 from the atmosphere and our need for Palm Oil brought home the reality of how grave the situation is. It needs everyone in the world to fix this global warming. Are we up for it ? I doubt many understand or can afford to make the changes needed to fix the problem. Radical changes are needed  of everyday house hold goods. Do we care just live for the moment or are we up for action to be taken. Thoughts ? 

Guest TPAFKATS
Having watched last night's programme on BBC it certainly had my attention.. To see a satellite map of the earth with forests disappearing all over the world at an alarming rate, trees take out CO2 from the atmosphere and our need for Palm Oil brought home the reality of how grave the situation is. It needs everyone in the world to fix this global warming. Are we up for it ? I doubt many understand or can afford to make the changes needed to fix the problem. Radical changes are needed  of everyday house hold goods. Do we care just live for the moment or are we up for action to be taken. Thoughts ? 
People are dicks

2 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

With China already having 1600 coal fired power stations and planning 700 more, anything we do in the UK is a spit in the ocean.

It's still not an excuse for the rest of us to try and do something. Part of the problem is many can't grasp just how bad the situation is. The attitude if China does not care why should we is wrong Tom. 

7 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It's still not an excuse for the rest of us to try and do something. Part of the problem is many can't grasp just how bad the situation is. The attitude if China does not care why should we is wrong Tom. 

Whilst climate change is undeniable and indeed , climate seems to change all the time . The current warming cycle dates back to around 1975 ( which in the age of the planet is nothing)Between 1946 and 1975 there was a cooling cycle and some "experts" were predicting another ice age until one "expert" claimed that his discovery of so called "green house gases" may protect us from another ice age . .

43 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Whilst climate change is undeniable and indeed , climate seems to change all the time . The current warming cycle dates back to around 1975 ( which in the age of the planet is nothing)Between 1946 and 1975 there was a cooling cycle and some "experts" were predicting another ice age until one "expert" claimed that his discovery of so called "green house gases" may protect us from another ice age . .

Ah The Great Global Warming Swindle.

The film which was criticised by two scientists who appeared in it.

One of them was misrepresented and the other claimed faked data was used in the programme.

Do you ever produce any evidence which isn't Wayne's World-esque? 🤣

29 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Ah The Great Global Warming Swindle.

The film which was criticised by two scientists who appeared in it.

One of them was misrepresented and the other claimed faked data was used in the programme.

Do you ever produce any evidence which isn't Wayne's World-esque? 🤣

More ad hominen. .

10 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Neil my opinion is the risk is to high action needs to be taken. Ice is receding. Even if some don't believe there is nothing bad about cleaning up the air. 

i'm with the protesters, I also think they have some conflicting aspects to their protest such as the use of plastics and rubber to form barriers and forcing people to take longer routes to work.

Icing on the cake is Emma Thomson jumping on a plane from California to London so she can join the protest.

Is there not a protest near her home?  Oh wait, nobody in California knows who she is.

Guest TPAFKATS
i'm with the protesters, I also think they have some conflicting aspects to their protest such as the use of plastics and rubber to form barriers and forcing people to take longer routes to work.

Icing on the cake is Emma Thomson jumping on a plane from California to London so she can join the protest.
Is there not a protest near her home?  Oh wait, nobody in California knows who she is.
I was wondering how disrupting public transport helps reduce carbon. I've not seen any explanation from Extinction Rebellion other than direct action is required.

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Neil my opinion is the risk is to high action needs to be taken. Ice is receding. Even if some don't believe there is nothing bad about cleaning up the air. 

Air pollution is a different situation . If all the dirty German diesels in the Uk were turned off for good , tomorrow , that might well make a difference to air quality . Whether it would make a difference to the weather is debatable at the moment. .

The oil industry is the biggest industry on the planet fuelling what is essentially a fire culture and we as the consumer are been made wrong for using what is available .  We can't all just stop doing what we are doing , it needs to be business as usual during renovations . .

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:00 AM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It needs everyone in the world to fix this global warming. 

It just isn't going to happen. Our efforts are like farting into the wind. ( :green mind you that won't help) 

Edited by pod

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:04 AM, shetland said:

Well said IOBS. I am up for the fight with you. There is no choice, we're at a critical stage. We are running out of time. 

I will try and do my bit. Became a non meat eater a year ago and will be switching our family car to electric as quick as possible. 

I wish I was in London now supporting our troops on the streets. 

Won't be able to run many of them on renewable energy after our Nuclear power stations shut down. 

On 4/20/2019 at 10:19 AM, beyond our ken said:

On 4/20/2019 at 10:59 AM, TPAFKATS said:

I was wondering how disrupting public transport helps reduce carbon. I've not seen any explanation from Extinction Rebellion other than direct action is required.

Oh come on guys FFS. Are these serious points?