Sign in to follow this  
shetland

Grady and McWhirter

Don't know him, don't like him cause of the tackle he did on Norrie, I was at the game, terrible challenge. He's a Celtic fan, who played for both Dundee & Hamilton and was employed by us a few seasons ago as a coach. He's given his opinion and that's that

Norrie McWhirter was an amazing player

However....

He was always very injury prone. He even broke his leg making a tackle on a reserve game that he himself actually got sent off for!

I remember the Grady tackle and it was a bad one. But always thought it was a bit unfair to blame Grady for ending his career.

Norrie was just unlucky with injuries.

Where would McWhirter rank in all time best Saints players? Heard he was good but a bit small...

Hard to say as generally defenders never get the plaudits in teams but Norrie was absolute class. He was small but read the game really well and was one of the best passers of a ball I have seen at Saints. Even his free kicks were amazing, he just seemed to glide through games. Injuries and being St Mirren daft stopped him reaching far higher levels than us but Norrie certainly had enough ability to go very far in the game.

3 hours ago, Doakes said:

Where would McWhirter rank in all time best Saints players? Heard he was good but a bit small...

I was lucky enough to watch Norrie throughout his career.  The football might not always have been the greatest but Norrie always stood out.  Composed and skillful, he could tackle as well as he could pass.  Don’t remember him as being “small”,  could have (should have) gone on to play at a higher level.  

On 4/20/2019 at 11:55 AM, windae cleaner said:

Must be annoying since his boy is a big buddies fan

I'm sure one of his brothers and sister are Saints fans as well

Nope,whole family and cousins Celtic fans,stayed in dundonald road, Gordon the brother was our commercial manager years ago and went to Dundee utd and as far as a believe he still there

29 minutes ago, paul torfason said:

Nope,whole family and cousins Celtic fans,stayed in dundonald road, Gordon the brother was our commercial manager years ago and went to Dundee utd and as far as a believe he still there

Gordon was always a Saints Fan and still followed the Team when he 1st started working with Utd.Dont know if his allegiancies have changed as I haven't seen him in years.

I quite often see a Dundee Utd branded car in Gallowhill and assume that's him visiting family.

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/5657/KIT-CO-ORDINATOR-APPOINTED.html

WTF is a Kit Co-ordinater?

Norrie was a very good player. Bit like Hugh Murray he was a yard of pace short of being top notch, but a very good player.
His reading of the game was second to none and gave him a yard of a start.
I still think he had the ability to go to the top in the game.

15 hours ago, guinness said:

Norrie was a very good player. Bit like Hugh Murray he was a yard of pace short of being top notch, but a very good player.

Norrie McWhirter was a very different player to Hugh Murray.

Norrie was a natural sweeper, read the game superbly, could tackle, could pass and oozed class.  His free kicks were rather tasty as well (a centre half who took free kicks.....you young un's wont be used to that).

Norrie was NOT short of anything and WAS a top notch player.  The fact that Norrie never went on to earn more money at higher level club(s) than ours was a travesty for football (although selfishly not for us).  Norrie McWhirter should have been capped for Scotland and if he had left us would have found himself in the Scotland team very quickly.  Nowadays he would walk into the Scotland team as Scotland does not currently have a centre half anywhere near the class of our Norman McWhirter.

Miss you Norrie, Miss you indeed

16 hours ago, HSS said:

Gordon was always a Saints Fan and still followed the Team when he 1st started working with Utd.Dont know if his allegiancies have changed as I haven't seen him in years.

I quite often see a Dundee Utd branded car in Gallowhill and assume that's him visiting family.

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/5657/KIT-CO-ORDINATOR-APPOINTED.html

WTF is a Kit Co-ordinater?

That's true,mother now stays at side of gallowhill primary, a no them very well,Gordon James John and tracy,and only one that didn't wear a Celtic top was Gordon,he didn't play outside wi us,and there cousins etc was all Celtic also

22 minutes ago, paul torfason said:

That's true,mother now stays at side of gallowhill primary, a no them very well,Gordon James John and tracy,and only one that didn't wear a Celtic top was Gordon,he didn't play outside wi us,and there cousins etc was all Celtic also

I wouldn't have posted it if it wasn't true.

1 hour ago, TediousTom said:

Norrie McWhirter was a very different player to Hugh Murray.

Norrie was a natural sweeper, read the game superbly, could tackle, could pass and oozed class.  His free kicks were rather tasty as well (a centre half who took free kicks.....you young un's wont be used to that).

Norrie was NOT short of anything and WAS a top notch player.  The fact that Norrie never went on to earn more money at higher level club(s) than ours was a travesty for football (although selfishly not for us).  Norrie McWhirter should have been capped for Scotland and if he had left us would have found himself in the Scotland team very quickly.  Nowadays he would walk into the Scotland team as Scotland does not currently have a centre half anywhere near the class of our Norman McWhirter.

Miss you Norrie, Miss you indeed

Did not mean he was a similar type of player only that I thought they were both slightly slow. Both good players.

Norrie read the game well , and was a stand out as a sweeper , he then started to play a more central midfield role and was superb there scoring s few goals from distance . It was during this period , against Ayr United , Norrie picked up s bad injury against Ayr United as he tried to blast a free kick . This injury kept him out for the rest of the season ( March to May I think ) , the start of the following season Saints kicked off against Clydebank at Kilbowie , and it was at that game Grady went in late and from the side into super Norrie . Norrie never really reached his best form after that . 

Overhearing a subbed Queens Park player raving about McWhirter the night of Guni's debut at Lesser Hampden has always stuck in my mind.

The guy came and sat in the crowd with his mates, and couldn't believe how good McWhirter was or how hard he had been to play against, also calling him "a bear". Norrie would have been 19 at the time.

On 4/22/2019 at 6:11 PM, MenstrieSaint said:

Norrie read the game well , and was a stand out as a sweeper , he then started to play a more central midfield role and was superb there scoring s few goals from distance . It was during this period , against Ayr United , Norrie picked up s bad injury against Ayr United as he tried to blast a free kick . This injury kept him out for the rest of the season ( March to May I think ) , the start of the following season Saints kicked off against Clydebank at Kilbowie , and it was at that game Grady went in late and from the side into super Norrie . Norrie never really reached his best form after that . 

Central midfield? He played centre defence.

There was a time that St Mirren was essentially a one man team. Would probably have been relegated to the Second Division without him.

Edited by Kemp