Saints vs Fakes

First half was painful.
We had a flat back five protected by an ineffective midfield four... With poor Mullen so far away he could have been on the space shuttle.

We could have and should have changed formation much earlier.

Hands up. Baird is not the defender I would have withdrawn at half time. He had been our best and most mobile defender in the first half.

Worked out perfectly.

The change of shape allowed Flynn to boss the midfield, Magennis to support him, and the whole team to push forward.

Had we lost that, it would have been an injustice.

I thought Mullen was done after his umpteenth assault!

Wasn't his best game and I had expected him to be replaced!

Again, OK got it spot on as that finish was the sublime craft of a top striker!

Happy with a point but could have been three had the second half shape and intensity kicked in earlier.

20 minutes ago, Langbank said:

We went to a back 4 after 25 mins. Popescu was moved into midfield and S MGinn was told to play further forward.

Nah, back five didn't change. McGinn told Lyons to move beyond the midfield as he was doing nothing. But it did open up a bit in the middle of the park. Lyons however continued to do nothing.

14 minutes ago, Smithers Jones said:

Nah, back five didn't change. McGinn told Lyons to move beyond the midfield as he was doing nothing. But it did open up a bit in the middle of the park. Lyons however continued to do nothing.

Need to go same back four that finished the match, Magennis in for Lyons and Jackson up top with Mullen next week.

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Need to go same back four that finished the match, Magennis in for Lyons and Jackson up top with Mullen next week.

Agreed. Baird did nothing wrong but we seem to be more comfortable with a four. I have no idea why we continue to lump long balls up to one guy up front, hasn't worked all season. Must be frustrating for guys like Mullen who are outjumped all the time and has no support. Thats when he starts his falling about for no reason shite. He is better than that as we saw today when his chance to do his job resulted in a fantastic finish.

We're no further away from 10th and 1 point better off from 12th so, looking at how it might have ended with the other 2  going quite well for a time, we have to be happy with the outcome. The team showed a never say die attitude to come back after the sucker punch resulting from a poor corner by us. It does bode well looking at the fact our heads don't go down after a poor setback. Our result feels like a win and I bet Accies feel like a defeat after being 2 up.

As for the game. Pretty forgettable first half. I was absolutely dumbfounded when I saw the board going up with Dreyer's number on it as opposed to the anonymous Lyons. We gave Saintees far too much space in the middle of the park and our tactic of just kicking a high ball up to a midget striker needs rethinking. We improved in the second half and, as I said, their goal came from a very poor corner kick. Mullen's strike was incredible. It was too good to just draw a game. Can't wait to see it tonight on the full coverage on BBC ALBA.

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Thoughts from today's game-

A game ruined by the utter ineptitude of the referee.

Other than indicating a tad early for a corner that wasn't - where was he "inept"?

Both sets of midfielders were diving around the centre line all day!

He had a howler at Killie last week, yes but, I felt Mclean was ok today!  

First half was a game of emm.,... two halfs.. We started poorly and at no time was it pretty but we had the better of the chances, hitting the post and the musak strike. Second half again we got caught cold at the start but took a grip and really should have punished the fakes. Their goal was the only shot on target I can remember them having. Equaliser was no more than we deserved.

Having said that St Johnstone were pretty decent. Strong, hard working, well organised and very solid if a little cynical.

Like most of us, I thought Baird was our best defender first half, and surprised (and worried) when he came off. But mostly the defence continued to cope well.

Still need to be more clinical up front..

44 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

We're no further away from 10th and 1 point better off from 12th so, looking at how it might have ended with the other 2  going quite well for a time, we have to be happy with the outcome. The team showed a never say die attitude to come back after the sucker punch resulting from a poor corner by us. It does bode well looking at the fact our heads don't go down after a poor setback. Our result feels like a win and I bet Accies feel like a defeat after being 2 up.

As for the game. Pretty forgettable first half. I was absolutely dumbfounded when I saw the board going up with Dreyer's number on it as opposed to the anonymous Lyons. We gave Saintees far too much space in the middle of the park and our tactic of just kicking a high ball up to a midget striker needs rethinking. We improved in the second half and, as I said, their goal came from a very poor corner kick. Mullen's strike was incredible. It was too good to just draw a game. Can't wait to see it tonight on the full coverage on BBC ALBA.

I'm starting to get a feel for the Gaelic - thig air na naoimh agad!

Edited by Bud the Baker

First half was a game of emm.,... two halfs.. We started poorly and at no time was it pretty but we had the better of the chances, hitting the post and the musak strike. Second half again we got caught cold at the start but took a grip and really should have punished the fakes. Their goal was the only shot on target I can remember them having. Equaliser was no more than we deserved.
Having said that St Johnstone were pretty decent. Strong, hard working, well organised and very solid if a little cynical.
Like most of us, I thought Baird was our best defender first half, and surprised (and worried) when he came off. But mostly the defence continued to cope well.
Still need to be more clinical up front..

Come on jacks done great this season at times but he looked nervy and dodgy at times today he struggle to even manage a throw in.

I like jack but if we want to be an established spl side he still needs to improve a good bit or he needs to be used as back up.

12 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Dee cannot afford NOT to win ALL of their remaining games... even one draw and it is goodnight almost certainly...and we are not going to lose all 3 games... :magic

I know the goal difference is good in our favour (by 11). However, say we lost the next two by 1, and Dundee won 1, drew 1, the minimum it would be down to would be 8. Then if Dundee pumped us 4-0 they’d level it up on GD.

I’d rather we just beat Motherwell and finish Dundee off :D

12 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Think Mullen only has 5 Jackson has 6 . . . 

In league terms yes, but Mullen also scored one in the League Cup.

What the f**k's that tackle on Dreyer supposed to be from Tanser?
No intent to go for the ball at all.

Thought it was a poor challenge too. Late and high. Looked like he was trying to do Dreyer rather than just stop him. Thought Gordon was lucky not to get booked too. He was repeatedly going through the back of our strikers, but not getting pulled up for it. In saying that, we’ve had worse refs this season.
Watching St Johnstone just illustrates again how physical most of the teams in this league are. Still think we’re short of dig in midfield and if we stay up we need an ‘enforcer’ in there to compliment the likes of Flynn, although a fit Magenniis has a bit about him.

Guest TPAFKATS
Other than indicating a tad early for a corner that wasn't - where was he "inept"?
Both sets of midfielders were diving around the centre line all day!
He had a howler at Killie last week, yes but, I felt Mclean was ok today!  

He set his stall out by not booking Davidson (?) for his over the ball studs high challange on Flynn. I've seen reds for that. He was then inconsistent in what he booked players for. He seemed determined to not send anyone off. Davidson could've been off for a second yellow in the first half after he eventually booked him.
He was consistently inept to both teams though not biased.

Made dallas and madden seem competent.

Guest TPAFKATS

Come on jacks done great this season at times but he looked nervy and dodgy at times today he struggle to even manage a throw in.

I like jack but if we want to be an established spl side he still needs to improve a good bit or he needs to be used as back up.
The throw in was just a comedy mistake that could've and does happen to any player. I've seen champs league players do it. It's not a big deal

He set his stall out by not booking Davidson (?) for his over the ball studs high challange on Flynn. I've seen reds for that. He was then inconsistent in what he booked players for. He seemed determined to not send anyone off. Davidson could've been off for a second yellow in the first half after he eventually booked him.

I’ve never thought McLean to be any better or worse than most but his performance yesterday was poor and perhaps was impacted by Clarke’s OTT criticism last week?

16 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
9 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

The throw in was just a comedy mistake that could've and does happen to any player. I've seen champs league players do it. It's not a big deal

Considering we must have the worst % possession retention from throws in the division I wouldn't look into 1 throw too much... actually I wouldn't be surprised if we've conceded most goals from corners too, struggling to think of us scoring straight from a corner either...

Guest TPAFKATS

I’ve never thought McLean to be any better or worse than most but his performance yesterday was poor and perhaps was impacted by Clarke’s OTT criticism last week?
He lost control of the game last week and shouldve been demoted to lower leagues as is the norm. However they decided to back their man.
I thought Clarke interview was bizarre, then realised he was probably just distancing himself from Scotland job [emoji3]

33 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I think St Johnstone were clever and took advantage of the fact he would have gone in to the game keen not to send anyone off.

However Popescu could also have been sent off for going in studs up having completely lost control of the ball, and then himself.

St Johnstone players were giving him a lot of grief as well, shouting right in his face at times. Don't know why refs are too weak to follow the rules of the game and dish out yellows and reds in that situation. Players would soon learn.