Saints vs Fakes

Guest TPAFKATS
I think St Johnstone were clever and took advantage of the fact he would have gone in to the game keen not to send anyone off.
However Popescu could also have been sent off for going in studs up having completely lost control of the ball, and then himself.
St Johnstone players were giving him a lot of grief as well, shouting right in his face at times. Don't know why refs are too weak to follow the rules of the game and dish out yellows and reds in that situation. Players would soon learn.
Thought popescu realised he wasn't going to get the ball and pulled his leg back from the challenge. St. Johnstone player seen him coming and dived over him.
Could've been classed as out if control I suppose, however I thought he regained the control by pulling his leg back before the contact.

4 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I know the goal difference is good in our favour (by 11). However, say we lost the next two by 1, and Dundee won 1, drew 1, the minimum it would be down to would be 8. Then if Dundee pumped us 4-0 they’d level it up on GD.

I’d rather we just beat Motherwell and finish Dundee off :D

In league terms yes, but Mullen also scored one in the League Cup.

No one is putting 4 past us these days and Dee's defence is like a sieve.... So it is a very unlikely scenario surely? :spud7

3 hours ago, W6Saint said:

Considering we must have the worst % possession retention from throws in the division I wouldn't look into 1 throw too much... actually I wouldn't be surprised if we've conceded most goals from corners too, struggling to think of us scoring straight from a corner either...

I don't think we have!

We've been completely shite at corners this season.

O.K., in a fit of masochism, I watched all our you tube matches this season that involved us scoring. That really didn't take long.<_<

Sean Clare's O.G. v Hearts in the 1-1 game is the only goal "scored" directly from a corner.

The closest we've come to one of our players scoring directly from a corner is our goal v 'Well in the 2-1 home defeat, which came from a Dreyer cross after his initial corner was cleared back out to him on the wing.

It was a pretty harrowing experience watching the clowns that Stubbs signed defending like a stoned version of the keystone cops.:(

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Thought popescu realised he wasn't going to get the ball and pulled his leg back from the challenge. St. Johnstone player seen him coming and dived over him.
Could've been classed as out if control I suppose, however I thought he regained the control by pulling his leg back before the contact.

Exactly this. You beat me to saying it.

When I saw it in the heat of the action I thought “Ooft. He could walk here”. However when you see the replay, he purposely pulls out of the challenge and in the end I thought a booking was even maybe a little harsh.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

I don't think we have!

O.K., in a fit of masochism, I watched all our you tube matches this season that involved us scoring. That really didn't take long.<_<

Sean Clare's O.G. v Hearts in the 1-1 game is the only goal "scored" directly from a corner.

The closest we've come to one of our players scoring directly from a corner is our goal v 'Well in the 2-1 home defeat, which came from a Dreyer cross after his initial corner was cleared back out to him on the wing.

I’m sure we also had this problem during the Gus era. Not that there was any point of us even putting players in the box back then, when you had the likes of Garry Brady among others hitting corners to the first defender.

3 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

No one is putting 4 past us these days and Dee's defence is like a sieve.... So it is a very unlikely scenario surely? :spud7

Perhaps, but on the final day, anything can happen. Accies 10-2 Morton springs to mind.

Guest TPAFKATS
Hopefully all done and dusted before Dundee game,but if it isn't and we need win at dens to stay up or escape play off, a reckon there could be 4/5 thousand  buds there
Booked an overnighter on the Friday.

19 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

Come on jacks done great this season at times but he looked nervy and dodgy at times today he struggle to even manage a throw in.

I like jack but if we want to be an established spl side he still needs to improve a good bit or he needs to be used as back up.

So which is it? He's done great or he'd struggle to be more that back up

For Clarity, first half I thought he was more than pulling his weight.

5 minutes ago, insaintee said:

So which is it? He's done great or he'd struggle to be more that back up

For Clarity, first half I thought he was more than pulling his weight.

Jack was playing fine.  No doubt all 3 can play well at this level. SO last time out MacK gave way this time it was Jack, perhaps next time it might be Popescu.

To be honest all 3 have different attributed. All positive and the margins of where one is better than the other are finite - but OK is I think trying to keep all 3 happy. If he manages it - they might be our 3 best CB for next season too. I for one would not complain about that -so long as MacK is fitter for more of the season..,

Anyone that sees Jack as the worst of the 3 is plain and simply daft.... I would be comfortable with any 2 from 3 when they are playing their best stuff.... :spud7

Jack was playing fine.  No doubt all 3 can play well at this level. SO last time out MacK gave way this time it was Jack, perhaps next time it might be Popescu.
To be honest all 3 have different attributed. All positive and the margins of where one is better than the other are finite - but OK is I think trying to keep all 3 happy. If he manages it - they might be our 3 best CB for next season too. I for one would not complain about that -so long as MacK is fitter for more of the season..,
Anyone that sees Jack as the worst of the 3 is plain and simply daft.... I would be comfortable with any 2 from 3 when they are playing their best stuff.... :spud7

Popescu is head and shoulders above the others in terms of ability. I like GMac but he is a little slow whereas Jack has a bit of pace.

If I was choosing a pairing it would be to Baird’s detriment. I’m still not convinced he’s got what’s required at this level but I love his attitude.

Guest TPAFKATS
Don't worry about it , the Hammer thrower will get a retrospective booking , ala the Duck , Goodwin etc
The chuckle brothers will be all over it on sportscene...

8 hours ago, paul torfason said:

Hopefully all done and dusted before Dundee game,but if it isn't and we need win at dens to stay up or escape play off, a reckon there could be 4/5 thousand  buds there

When we had to stay up at Motherwell we had 2000 odd...where are the other 2-3 thousand coming from? Get real...

24 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Popescu is head and shoulders above the others in terms of ability. I like GMac but he is a little slow whereas Jack has a bit of pace.

If I was choosing a pairing it would be to Baird’s detriment. I’m still not convinced he’s got what’s required at this level but I love his attitude.

Big Jack is a decent player, only thing that let's him down is his passing, solid defender...

I don't think we have!
O.K., in a fit of masochism, I watched all our you tube matches this season that involved us scoring. That really didn't take long.<_> Sean Clare's O.G. v Hearts in the 1-1 game is the only goal "scored" directly from a corner.
It was a pretty harrowing experience watching the clowns that Stubbs signed defending like a stoned version of the keystone cops.[emoji20]

I remember hearing Craig Brown on off the ball after the last world cup.

He discussed how he enjoyed reviewing statistics and that how they would affect how we would see teams play over the next season.

Corners were one of the things he highlighted and how seldomly teams scored from them. He pointed out that a team was unlikely to score but very likely to give possession to the opposition.

Obviously we did this on Saturday.

I think we were spoilt having Mallan who was able to pinpoint Gary Mackenzie a couple of years ago but all in we need to be more imaginative when it comes to set pieces.

Also when was the last goal from a free kick?

Guest TPAFKATS
Big Jack is a decent player, only thing that let's him down is his passing, solid defender...
His passing is generally better than Gary Mac.
The difference is big Gary doesn't try to pass it unless it's to another defender alongside him. If in doubt he goes back to the keeper, which is absolutely fine - he's not in the team to hit long forward passes.

9 hours ago, DLBud said:

I thought that the first few games he played, and thought "once he's up to speed," but while he has got fitter, he's not quite kicked on like I hoped.           

he is comfortable on the ball, I would not say he is head and shoulders above either of the other two centre halfs.

9 hours ago, DLBud said:

I understand where you are coming from - but the 2 games before Saturday, Popescu was not playing great. Don't get me wrong I also think his best is better than the other two's. Nevertheless having 3 CB's who are really decent at this level is a very good thing - e.g. look at Dee's CB's.

It is easy to begin to generalise - MacK is better in the air than Baird as he is taller etc. but he is not always better in the air and Baird gets to some that MacK would be toiling to reach.. I think Baird has got what it takes for this level - hence the 2 year contract... 

For me the real issue is will MacK be worth the risk of a new contract, given his very poor injury record?

2 hours ago, Hambud said:

I remember hearing Craig Brown on off the ball after the last world cup.

He discussed how he enjoyed reviewing statistics and that how they would affect how we would see teams play over the next season.

Corners were one of the things he highlighted and how seldomly teams scored from them. He pointed out that a team was unlikely to score but very likely to give possession to the opposition.

Obviously we did this on Saturday.

I think we were spoilt having Mallan who was able to pinpoint Gary Mackenzie a couple of years ago but all in we need to be more imaginative when it comes to set pieces.

Also when was the last goal from a free kick?

Totally agree. Been a couple of years since I read it, but the ‘Numbers Game’ covers it in great depth. Statistically, you are better just kicking the ball out of play at a corner.

I guess that’s why the like of Barcelona only really take short corners...but can you imagine Scottish fans seeing their team do that?!

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

Totally agree. Been a couple of years since I read it, but the ‘Numbers Game’ covers it in great depth. Statistically, you are better just kicking the ball out of play at a corner.

I guess that’s why the like of Barcelona only really take short corners...but can you imagine Scottish fans seeing their team do that?!

That's a reflection on the passing ability of players at different levels.

For us it's about getting the ball in quick and making sure the players know the way back to their defensive positions.

Edited by Bud the Baker

11 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

When we had to stay up at Motherwell we had 2000 odd...where are the other 2-3 thousand coming from? Get real...

Important games bring out more fans. You may as well ask why 25,000 fans turned up to watch us win the Scottish Cup in 87? Or more recently a full house when we were fighting relegation in our last stint in the top league? If it comes down to this game I wager we would bring around 4-5 thousand to Dens Park.

1 hour ago, nedflanders123 said:

Important games bring out more fans. You may as well ask why 25,000 fans turned up to watch us win the Scottish Cup in 87? Or more recently a full house when we were fighting relegation in our last stint in the top league? If it comes down to this game I wager we would bring around 4-5 thousand to Dens Park.

Nah, more like 2k max. Early kick off and on the telly, plus Dundee will already be relegated.

7 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Nah, more like 2k max. Early kick off and on the telly, plus Dundee will already be relegated.

1 hour ago, nedflanders123 said:

Aye thanks LPM - that just confirms ned is right . . . :boxing