Motherwell v St. Mirren 4th May 2019

Sweeper07

we dont have to win 2 games though do we?
if we beat Hamilton we will be 1 point behind them.
We have to hope St J beat them and then a draw with Dundee will gt us level on points and our better goal difference will put us above them.
We always had to beat them next week and it would have taken a pretty unlikely run of results for our match with Dundee to be a dead rubber.
OR, am I misreading all this?

8 minutes ago, gstretchuk said:

Lyon's again worst man in a Saint's jersey..offers absolutely nothing to the team as does Mginn as well... really struggle in middle of park due to these two playing together week in week out....

If 2 players offer absolutely nothing to the team how can 1 player being worse than the other?

Lyon's again worst man in a Saint's jersey..offers absolutely nothing to the team as does Mginn as well... really struggle in middle of park due to these two playing together week in week out....

Thought S McGinn had yet another shocker today.

He just does... nothing.

All the time nothing.

49 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Apologies folks but I have to rant

1-1 against Motherwell is a good result which keeps us in it but it wasn't the best we could do and I think the playoffs are now our fate.

Was it just me or did anyone else think "stop fannying about. Get the ball out the net and stop wasting time" when we equalised. Jackson took about 3 weeks to get back in to our half after the goal and looked like he was timewasting. Feck get moving and go for a winner.

Sorry if I seem out of order but the goal celebrations were OTT when the point was irrelevant and only a win would have made a difference.

I appreciate another goal was never guaranteed but go for it guys don't accept anything other than a desperately needed victory.

The sight of players wasting time on celebrations and taking ages to cross our half way line made me question their commitment.

I hate to criticise the team but for the first time this season I wonder if they have the fight to stay up.

Thousands of us stay till the bitter end every week. Why did the team chuck it after the equalizer.

Sorry for the rant. Not a happy bud.

The point isn't irrelevant.

If we beat Hamilton and they get beaten by St.J, then we only need to draw against Dundee.

If we go into the last game still having a chance then I'm glad Hamiltons opponents are St J.Surely with Tommy Wright being a fellow countryman of OK he'll send his team out to win.

Anyway,beat Accies 1st and let's see what happens.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Whilst I do acknowledge the improvement in our points tally since February, I would suggest that Dundee losing 10 games in a row was the major contributory factor in our moving off the bottom of the league. We can't claim an awful lot of credit for that, eh ?

Over the last six games we are just below Aberdeen & Livi on form; equal with Motherwell and above Hearts, the Fakes and Hamilton.  10 games ago Dundee were 5 points in front of us now we are 8 in front of them. Our recent form has everything to do with where we are.

Apologies. Realised that I had been looking an an older form guide. Our recent form is better than the above. 5th best in the country and above Aberdeen, Motherwell, Fakes, Livi, Hearts, Hamilton and Dundee.

Edited by Sonny

1 hour ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Apologies folks but I have to rant

1-1 against Motherwell is a good result which keeps us in it but it wasn't the best we could do and I think the playoffs are now our fate.

Was it just me or did anyone else think "stop fannying about. Get the ball out the net and stop wasting time" when we equalised. Jackson took about 3 weeks to get back in to our half after the goal and looked like he was timewasting. Feck get moving and go for a winner.

Sorry if I seem out of order but the goal celebrations were OTT when the point was irrelevant and only a win would have made a difference.

I appreciate another goal was never guaranteed but go for it guys don't accept anything other than a desperately needed victory.

The sight of players wasting time on celebrations and taking ages to cross our half way line made me question their commitment.

I hate to criticise the team but for the first time this season I wonder if they have the fight to stay up.

Thousands of us stay till the bitter end every week. Why did the team chuck it after the equalizer.

Sorry for the rant. Not a happy bud.

There were 30 seconds left at most when Magennis scored. I was surprised the referee played on as long as he did afterwards - I assumed he'd just let Motherwell kick-off and that would be it.

A month or so Queen of the South scored an equaliser in time added on for Falkirk extensively celebrating what they thought would be a stoppage time winner, so really we should be criticising the players for not spending five minutes milking the applause so there'd be plenty of time to bag another goal :)

Still pumping your daughter then I take it. Change the record mate it's pathetic.

Don't disagree. Anything from this game was a bonus and despite the Hamilton result I would have been happy with 1-1.

Up till the point we scored I couldn't fault the team. The celebrations were pointless though as 0 points or 1 point still meant winning two games. To be fair so probably did 3 points but spending 2 minutes of the 3 extra time minutes celebrating and reorganizing did my head in.

Maybe its just me.

SMTID
Perhaps the players were unaware Hamilton were ahead ???

Amazed nobody has mentioned Lyons today. Thought he was rank rotten from start to finish and amazed he stayed on for full 90 mins. Needed subbed off and should be dropped for Hamilton game. Missed Dryer too.

Fans great as ever, saw 1,861 of us shown on board, superb away support.

Edited by Gordon Urquhart
typo

Positives:

- avoiding bottom place 

- digging in for a 90th min equaliser for the 2nd week running

- giving ourselves the opportunity to put pressure on Accies on the final day if we win next week  

- last minute equaliser kept a couple of permutations possible in our favour  

That aside.... 

We have tried to play a very measured and containing game since OK took the hot seat. It’s absolutely dreadful to watch! We’ve picked up more points recently than earlier than the season, so maybe it is vindicated, but the way we’re going about games is certainly not pretty. 

If we manage to survive, the strategy has worked, but there will still be a big question mark over OK for me personally. 

Let’s hope it all goes well! 

Edited by Maboza

8 minutes ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Amazed nobody has mentioned Lyons today. Thought he was rank rotten from start to finish and amazed he stayed on for full 90 mins. Needed subbed off and should be dropped for Hamilton game. Missed Dryer too.

Fans great as ever, saw 1,861 of us shown on board, superb away support.

Yep - Lyons never kicked a ball. Again. 

Disappointing. 

The tactics in the last 2 games have been so negative and only playing for a draw.

This 4-5-1 formation with 3 non-attacking midfielders in the middle of the park leaves the lone striker far too isolated. As soon as we went 2 up front last week we started making chances and eventually scored. 

Exact same situation again today. Why did OK stick with 1 up front for so long? A straight like for like sub with Nazon for Mullen tells me OK didn't see what the problem was. Subbing Mullin like for like was going to achieve absolutely nothing. 

As soon as we went 2 up front we started to look a threat again. It's infuriating that it takes OK so long to see this. The players are giving it everything but the tactics were awful again today.

2 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Don't disagree. Anything from this game was a bonus and despite the Hamilton result I would have been happy with 1-1.

Up till the point we scored I couldn't fault the team. The celebrations were pointless though as 0 points or 1 point still meant winning two games. To be fair so probably did 3 points but spending 2 minutes of the 3 extra time minutes celebrating and reorganizing did my head in.

Maybe its just me.           SMTID

Get where you are coming from, but under the pressure of facing defeat in extra time, the relief took over...

I think we are playing a bit cautious - but the reality is we have a bit of momentum of not losing for 4 games in a row and only once in the last 6 to the League winners.

Here is the current form table

Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts Last 6
1 Celtic 6 4 2 0 8 1 7 14
WWddWW
2 Rangers 6 4 1 1 13 4 9 13
DLWWWW
3 Hibernian 6 3 3 0 7 3 4 12
WWdWdD
4 Kilmarnock 6 3 1 2 8 2 6 10
WdWLLW
5 St Mirren 6 2 3 1 8 7 1 9
WLDWDD
6 Aberdeen 6 3 0 3 7 8 -1 9
LWWWLL
7 Motherwell 6 2 2 2 10 11 -1 8
WLLDWD
8 St Johnstone 6 2 2 2 6 7 -1 8
LWLWDD
9 Livingston 6 1 3 2 8 9 -1 6
LWdLDD
10 Hamilton 6 1 3 2 6 12 -6 6
LLDDDW
11 Hearts 6 1 1 4 5 11 -6 4
WLLLDL
12 Dundee 6 0 0 6 4 13 -9 0
LLLLLL

Bear in mind Hamilton's only win in these last 6 fixtures was today against Dee, and only with a penalty - and wee still have Dee to play, winning against them will put a lot of pressure on us both in the final set of fixtures. Note also they are scoring a goal a game but losing 2 a game on average, while we are nearer 1 for 1.

My big worry is we play too cautious against Hamilton and they are happy to play for a draw, but will of course try and catch us out. We need to have a real go once we settle into the match, then see how they cope if we are exploiting the spaces they make when committing more to attack...

The one thing we need is to score against them - a couple would give us a lot more confidence - we need bodies coming into the box like Magennis did today - but far more often...

This is a huge deal - hope Oran gets them right up for this cup final . . .      :magic

Today was a very Meh performance. Disappointing considering our fantastic away support. Couldn’t really see if it was a pen or not in the first half however looked a decent claim. Very lacklustre performance and I thought we were lucky to get the draw. Lyons & McAllister need to be dropped for the Hamilton game...both offered absolutely nothing. Onwards and upwards to the inevitable playoffs - please not Utd[emoji1317]

Thought this was a much better display than last week. Probably the easiest game our central defence has had for a while.

Unfortunately our midfield just isn’t clicking. Whatever happens during the summer the midfield needs a major rebuild.

Fantastic noise from the support today, made it feel like a home game.

1 hour ago, LargsBud said:

The tactics in the last 2 games have been so negative and only playing for a draw.

This 4-5-1 formation with 3 non-attacking midfielders in the middle of the park leaves the lone striker far too isolated. As soon as we went 2 up front last week we started making chances and eventually scored. 

Exact same situation again today. Why did OK stick with 1 up front for so long? A straight like for like sub with Nazon for Mullen tells me OK didn't see what the problem was. Subbing Mullin like for like was going to achieve absolutely nothing. 

As soon as we went 2 up front we started to look a threat again. It's infuriating that it takes OK so long to see this. The players are giving it everything but the tactics were awful again today.

Disagree with your second paragraph, as Kyle and Simeon were clearly there to support Danny. The loss of Flynn meant we were down our smartest midfielder, not a great help.

we really struggled with the fluidity of the Well side today. That was the main issue in the first half, led to players dropping deeper to support.

sometimes it’s not down to tactics. Sometimes it’s just cause the other team are better than you...maybe if Kyle hadn’t missed the bulk of the season, he’d be where Turnbull is.

I don't think we intended playing so deep today but some players in midfield were total passengers and let the Well midfield dictate play.  Defence was good. McAllister is nowhere near fit enough and far too greedy. His contribution was minimal. Lyons doesn't even need to wash his shirt as he chased nothing all game - jogged about a wee bit that was it. Flynn and McGinn were carrying the other two and Flynn going off was a big blow. Magennis is still trying to regain match fitness after being out most of the season but salvaged a great equaliser. Felt sorry for Jackson and Mullen as they saw little of the ball. And Danny is a decent player so please Danny stop falling about and complaining - it does you no favours - just get on with it. That being said it was a stonewaller on him in the first half. Draw a fair result and may still be a crucial point for us.

I'd bring Hodson back against Accies and push Paul McGinn one further forward and hopefully Flynn is back with S McGinn and Magennis  to give us a decent midfield.

Edited by Sonny

A most important result to watch for next Saturday is the St. Johnstone v Motherwell.

Ideally a draw or a Motherwell win.

We need St. Johnstone to have something to play for in their last game of the season away at Hamilton.

If the above happens, and we need to beat Hamilton, we will stay up without the playoffs with a result at Dundee.

Result was disappointing today but we should never take for granted what a fantastic support we have. Nearly 1700 there today loudly supporting the team from the first minute till the last. There’s been a noticeable improvement since Jack Ross’ first season, and the W7 boys have to be commended for their input into that also. 

10 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Maybe its just me.

SMTID

Anyone thinking Hamilton at home will lose in the last game for me is nuts. Hamilton are not going to throw away the most important game of the season at home to guarantee to stay in the league. For us to get out of 11th spot went yesterday by drawing with Motherwell it was a must win game we failed anyone who thinks otherwise has nothing more than blind faith which is understandable of course. . It's now the play off's Oran would do well to start planning for it to make sure he has his strongest 11 ready for it. My opinion being Dundee United though I would not leave out ICT. So to a certain extent it's still in our hands with the play off's. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Anyone thinking Hamilton at home will lose in the last game for me is nuts. Hamilton are not going to throw away the most important game of the season at home to guarantee to stay in the league. For us to get out of 11th spot went yesterday by drawing with Motherwell it was a must win game we failed anyone who thinks otherwise has nothing more than blind faith which is understandable of course. . It's now the play off's Oran would do well to start planning for it to make sure he has his strongest 11 ready for it. My opinion being Dundee United though I would not leave out ICT. So to a certain extent it's still in our hands with the play off's. 

Staying up is definitely still in our own hands.

10 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Staying up is definitely still in our own hands.

100% correct though I'm sure it will be through the play off two leg final. Don't do away games any more but I will make the trip to Dundee in the hope the only thing is 10th spot is out of our hands.