Special day

Yesterday I had a remarkable 85 year old at the game who watched Saints regular in the 50's and early 60's. He always aske's me about Saints. So I said I will take you to a game. This 85 year old got the overnight Thursday train to London to be a speaker for a fellow Golfer funeral. All his expenses were paid. With no hotel he came back Friday night again overnight train ( he wanted to keep costs low )  and be back for the St Mirren game. I thought he will be too tired 85 remember. There he is with me for the 12.15 ferry what a man. After the game we went to Elderslie Golf Club he wanted me to see a large Cabinet dedicated to him as he was a special local golfer who was invited to the Masters in America but could not afford the expense of going out there. No sponsorship in these day's. After the game which was not a classic he said what a goal going on about it. He said Ian you know what surprised me. What Stuart ? The Fans what a support they are fantastic getting behind the team. He went on they sang in my day but not like that. Took him home lost his wife 3 years ago. Got his own flat I got invited in for tea. Kept thanking me , how can you not do something for a fellow Buddie. Went home with a lump in my throat wishing my own dad was still here. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I hope the guy had a nice day but TBH I was brought up never to brag about doing good deeds for other people.

It seems that is a dying art these days.

Shame.

Tosser!

Either poor humour or poor reading of post. As for dying farts....

Nice post and good to hear IOBS.

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Yesterday I had a remarkable 85 year old at the game who watched Saints regular in the 50's and early 60's. He always aske's me about Saints. So I said I will take you to a game. This 85 year old got the overnight Thursday train to London to be a speaker for a fellow Golfer funeral. All his expenses were paid. With no hotel he came back Friday night again overnight train ( he wanted to keep costs low )  and be back for the St Mirren game. I thought he will be too tired 85 remember. There he is with me for the 12.15 ferry what a man. After the game we went to Elderslie Golf Club he wanted me to see a large Cabinet dedicated to him as he was a special local golfer who was invited to the Masters in America but could not afford the expense of going out there. No sponsorship in these day's. After the game which was not a classic he said what a goal going on about it. He said Ian you know what surprised me. What Stuart ? The Fans what a support they are fantastic getting behind the team. He went on they sang in my day but not like that. Took him home lost his wife 3 years ago. Got his own flat I got invited in for tea. Kept thanking me , how can you not do something for a fellow Buddie. Went home with a lump in my throat wishing my own dad was still here. 

GREAT ..  too many superlatives to list... well done fellow bud... keep the faith !

14 minutes ago, David Mc said:

Yes was thinking that too.   A great story. Well kent name when I was a kid hacking my way round Elderslie.  

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/golf/17560800.stuart-murray-the-elderslie-golfer-with-the-masters-invitation/

Stephen McAllister , the other famous Elderslie golfer mentioned in the article, attends St.Mirren Park regularly.

I hope the guy had a nice day but TBH I was brought up never to brag about doing good deeds for other people.
Shame.

My parents brought me up not to belittle the good intentions and kind deeds of others . I feel sorry for you that you do not appear to have had such a loving , caring upbringing.

Would explain a lot though. You are more to be pitied than laughed at. [emoji848][emoji107]

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Can you book me in for 2039?

I’ve got some stories you’ll never believe. 

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Shame.

Nice fishing..one i would have been proud of...made me laugh but it was a nice story, probably un-called for post...

14 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Shame.

Poor show and totally uncalled for. The story is about the gentleman and not IOBS bragging. Heart warming to read how much the guy enjoyed his day out.

Shame.

You’ve probably never did anyone a good turn that’s why. Ian’s posting a good story & you’ve got to spoil it. [emoji110]

16 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Shame.

Your way of thinking is some what strange. This is a forum for St Mirren supporters to discuss all things St Mirren. Here is a guy living on the Isle Of Bute who has feelings for the club. He is a bit of a celebrity to the Paisley area. For me it's about what he thought of the club and its fans are you telling me fellow supporters don't enjoy reading that. Oaksoft you see the devel on a lot of things your a strange man. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

14 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'm guessing your guest was Stuart Murray IOBS ?

Thats him Wilbur very switched on. Made very little money in these day's. He was wearing his Scotland tie for the golf team on Saturday. Im not into golf but his stories were interesting and funny.