Openly gay footballers

Guest TPAFKATS

It would probably be easier for a recently retired player to come out first, then that might encourage current players to declare their sexuality, should they wish to do so.
I'm not aware of the sexuality of most of our squad and its not something I give any time to.

16 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

It would probably be easier for a recently retired player to come out first, then that might encourage current players to declare their sexuality, should they wish to do so.
I'm not aware of the sexuality of most of our squad and its not something I give any time to.

This. ^^^^^^

But I don't agree with the necessity of the first part. Why is it so important for anyone to declare their sexual preferences? This is the part I don't get.

IF a player, or ex player, declares his undying love for a partner or announces his relationship for the  right reasons then all well and good but I don't think it's right to use a player's private life  as some sort of declaration of acceptance. 

Apart from anything else it would only throw up an "Emperor's new clothes" scenario where few with reservations would put their head above the parapet. That would mask any problem, temporarily, in my opinion. Not cure it.

IF there is a problem then education, not confrontation, is the answer and the dinosaurs who have blinkers on as far as sexuality is concerned will, in time, die out.

Edited by stlucifer

It is great as a society we have made huge strides towards ending homophobia. Sadly we have gone backwards when it comes to discriminating against people due to their ethnicity or nationality.

Agree with the sentiment that gay footballers shouldn't feel any pressure to come out. They don't owe anyone anything and its nobody business but their own. They certainly would get a lot of support in Scotland though, but also a lot of abuse from the likes of Rangers and Hearts fans.