Congratulations Oran, Gus and the Players - Part One

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Twitter account Irish League Insider looks  genuine mostly all Irish football. Club needs to nip this in the bud. Oran going no-where or Oran leaving at the end of the season.

The club doesn't need to do anything. They can't go about responding to every crackpot obscure Twitter account every time a rumour emerges.

If it appears in a respectable paper over here then it will be worthy of a response. 

20 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Lennon's managerial record

I'd say better than average and that he's been a bit unlucky not to get another gig with a F/T club.

Our football during his tenure was mainly brutal with two good spells - the first half of 2011/12 and the spell from when Isma arrived until he got done for diving against Celtic. Technically @nedflanders123 is correct and he wasn't sacked but when your departure is announced on the Monday and your Assistant (the brains of the partnership 🙄 ) is given the job the next day it's a bit pedantic.

Still he's a club legend and I'd lay down in a muddy puddle to stop him getting his shoe wet! 

I can understand fans anger at Danny leaving mainly because the board made a right ricket in appointing Craig and subsequent bad manager decisions.  If Danny had been replaced by someone like JR or an experienced manager then the blow of Danny's leaving may have been softened by those who wanted him to stay.  All ifs and buts and I still have a soft spot for the man.

11 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

I can understand fans anger at Danny leaving mainly because the board made a right ricket in appointing Craig and subsequent bad manager decisions.  If Danny had been replaced by someone like JR or an experienced manager then the blow of Danny's leaving may have been softened by those who wanted him to stay.  All ifs and buts and I still have a soft spot for the man.

Taking the thread even further off-topic I often wondered how keen Tommy Craig was for the top job, at 63 and with only an unsuccessful caretaker spell with Charleroi as a No.1 previous to managing us I've always had a suspicion the BoDs plan was for him to mentor Teale/Goodwin for two years by which time Craig would be eligible for the state pension - best laid plans etc.

Craig survived  5 managers departing @ Sellick and one of their supporters at my work said "He'll no' resign, under any circumstances" when we appointed him.

27 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Met Danny a few times and thought he was a gent and very good at dealing with people . Not our best manager and certainly not our worst manager (especially considering what came after him) and gained a few plaudits including the much desired League Cup . I reckon he did have one of the best teams put together at Paisley Saint Mirren in recent times. I will always remember him as a decent individual and for all the good things he achieved for us . .

5 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

Remind me again what other top flight club Danny has managed?  Take the LC win out the equation then our football was brutal and it was time for change. Lovely man with the club in his heart but that's not enough when results were poor. If he was such a good manager now would he, with all respect, not be managing a bigger club that Clyde in the bottom league?

That's not how it works. You can't just remove inconvenient successes just because they ruin your point.

That was our first major trophy in more than 25 years and you want us just to ignore it?

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's not how it works. You can't just remove inconvenient successes just because they ruin your point.

That was our first major trophy in more than 25 years and you want us just to ignore it?

I am not removing the LC success.  Read my post again where I talked about our league form. I watched the games with my own eyes and some of the football was brutal.  At times Danny looked unwell through the barren times when we couldn't win a game even if the opposition didn't turn up.  The LC was a tremendous achievement but league results is our bread and butter. 

3 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

I have no problem with fans feeling positive about past managers who did some good stuff for us...

But his time has come and gone - no turning the clocks back and no going backwards either - onwards and upwards now -- safety and improving next season wins hands down !

4 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

Explain how I treated Danny like shite? When Danny left a lot of fans felt the time was right, appreciated the job he did in winning the cup and wished him well. 

I certainly didn't and told SG as much at the POTY do. He was quite vocal that day that he wanted Danny out and I said to him it was bollocks to force him out. 'We need someone to take us to the next level though', he reasoned. 

What a laugh that turned out to be. 

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I certainly didn't and told SG as much at the POTY do. He was quite vocal that day that he wanted Danny out and I said to him it was bollocks to force him out. 'We need someone to take us to the next level though', he reasoned. 

What a laugh that turned out to be. 

You are of course absolutely right.... but SG was not wrong that we needed to go to the next level... I am not defending him, it went the completely wrong way... but I have more hope for the future now than I dod back then... we will see - difficult 2 matches we need to win ...

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

In today's Sunday Mail. Oran is top target for Coleraine.

There are no direct quotes from anyone.

At best it's idle speculation at worst it's shite journalism.

The Saints bit about Monday's game is even more poorly researched.

24 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

That’s not up for debate & an opinion on Oran being at our club is allowed

I don’t mind if he stays or goes

It’s not relevant who fans think may be better,we don’t compile the lists or employ the staff

Not cutting you down for Oran going or staying. Have already stated I won't him to stay. If he went I would want Jim Goodwin. 

Not cutting you down for Oran going or staying. Have already stated I won't him to stay. If he went I would want Jim Goodwin. 

I don’t feel there is a ‘connection’ between Oran & the fans

Someone like Goodwin would have that from the outset like you suggest

Not many would lose sleep if Oran went

Would love to see Oran stay and succeed at Saints in exactly the same way I want every new manager at our Club to succeed.
I think he is winning or has won over the majority of fans but regardless of who is in the seat there will also be an element of the support who simply can’t take to them for whatever reason.
That said, if he does go..... the club will move on and the debate starts again but for now let’s get behind OK and the team .

58 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

I don’t feel there is a ‘connection’ between Oran & the fans

Someone like Goodwin would have that from the outset like you suggest

Not many would lose sleep if Oran went

I have met him he gives you the time of day in a genuine way . Spoke to him regarding one of our players Oran went into great detail. Left him very impressed. 

41 minutes ago, st jock said:

Hope he stays. Think it's just some 'in the know' troll looking for attention. Need to keep our focus for tomorrow night.
I see McIntyre has been sacked. Don't know if that's good or bad.

And Goodwin one of the favs for the Dundee gig.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

I am not removing the LC success.  Read my post again where I talked about our league form. I watched the games with my own eyes and some of the football was brutal.  At times Danny looked unwell through the barren times when we couldn't win a game even if the opposition didn't turn up.  The LC was a tremendous achievement but league results is our bread and butter. 
But we were punching above our weight and he was keeping us at our highest level in decades.

He has taken us as far as he can.
He can take us no further.
We need someone to take us to the next level.

Regular arguments at the time.

Be careful what you wish for, I cautioned.

Personally, I reckon he may well have taken us as far as he could but realistically, it was as far as we could go with our budget!

He deserved a bit more loyalty and support.