Dundee v St, Mirren, Sat 18th May 12:30pm

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

emoji1.png

I remember Stewart Kean scoring 2 goal in 26 mins during an SPL game against Hearts who IIRC were a Top 6 side at the time - 3 against an abysmal & depleted Dundee team does not a Premiership striker make. Cooke, despite being the logical option in today's circumstances was not the player we needed last summer - should he score against Utd. in the play-offs I'll be willing to reconsider my opinion, until then I'm happy with it.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I remember Stewart Kean scoring 2 goal in 26 mins during an SPL game against Hearts who IIRC were a Top 6 side at the time - 3 against an abysmal & depleted Dundee team does not a Premiership striker make. Cooke, despite being the logical option in today's circumstances was not the player we needed last summer - should he score against Utd. in the play-offs I'll be willing to reconsider my opinion, until then I'm happy with it.

Deary me

I can see that you’re devastated with the showbiz striker banging in a hat trick today!

Turns out Stubbs could spot a player after all!

[emoji1][emoji12]

20 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

You never know...

Billy Mehmet was absolutely gash in his first two years with us, yet scored crucial goals at the end of his first season against Stranraer and Dundee, then after another year of pishness he scored in the great escape.

After those two years I wouldn’t have complained if he left. Instead, he filled the gap left by John Sutton, and while he wasn’t as prolific (which no one was until Higdon rocked up) he became an excellent player for us, and in the process notably scored a number of goals that lead us to our first League Cup Final in over 50 years.

No reason why it can’t happen again with another striker of ours.

22 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Deary me

I can see that you’re devastated with the showbiz striker banging in a hat trick today!

Turns out Stubbs could spot a player after all!

emoji1.pngemoji12.png

The old "you'd rather see us lose routine" - wish I could say I expected better from you Cap'n. :P

I'd say the jury's still very much out on Cooke although I was clearly right on him being the best option available - like I said being able to repeat it against United would make me change my ind.

As for Stubbs what is it 1 possible out of 9 or 10 - no manager with his strike rate can expect to last a season. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

26 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I was going to put a :P, but I couldn't find one on my phone.

You are correct. One swallow (ooer) does not a summer make.

However, a striker scoring a hat trick against, albeit a shite premiership team, is a good asset to have against a team, IMO,  that has been playing in a pretty shite championship.

Cody Cooke is a work in progress, and whatever league we end up next season, I think he'll do well for us.

Well, 1 point was the difference... you could look at a number of games throughout the season and key moments - c'est la vie.

The team looked nervous today, lost concentration and lost 2 silly undeserved goals to Dundee, but when we got going we looked capable.

Chuffed for big Cooke - you can tell he's raring to get on every week and he's deserved a chance for weeks, 3 great finishes - instinct and physical presence upfront - we've needed it all season.

Anyway, the players have to view this as just another 2 post split games to stay up, do what we've done the past 6 weeks and we'll be fine...

26 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

You never know...

Billy Mehmet was absolutely gash in his first two years with us, yet scored crucial goals at the end of his first season against Stranraer and Dundee, then after another year of pishness he scored in the great escape.

After those two years I wouldn’t have complained if he left. Instead, he filled the gap left by John Sutton, and while he wasn’t as prolific (which no one was until Higdon rocked up) he became an excellent player for us, and in the process notably scored a number of goals that lead us to our first League Cup Final in over 50 years.

No reason why it can’t happen again with another striker of ours.

To be pedantic. The goal he scored v Dundee was NOT crucial. By the time he got his goal the Saintees game had finished and we had already won the league. You forgot the one that WAS crucial and got us to that final, the one v Hearts in the League cup semi final, given what happened in the final, should have got him sine died for getting us there!

Edited by stlucifer

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I was going to put a :P, but I couldn't find one on my phone.

You are correct. One swallow (ooer) does not a summer make.

However, a striker scoring a hat trick against, albeit a shite premiership team, is a good asset to have against a team, IMO,  that has been playing in a pretty shite championship.

Cody Cooke is a work in progress, and whatever league we end up next season, I think he'll do well for us.

Yeah I went a bit OTT seeing as it was the Cap'n I was replying to and I suppose I do have a bit of egg on my face - but I thought Cooke was the player for the situation and I'm genuinely happy for him - obviously next season will be the time to make a judgement.

Edited by Bud the Baker

23 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Deary me

Turns out Stubbs could spot one player after all!

emoji1.pngemoji12.png

Fixed it for you ya donkey jumper.:double

At least we go into the play offs on a good run of form. Having the away tie first should be a slight advantage. We need to make sure we're still in it or better going into the home tie. This might mean NOT playing Cooke AND Mullen on Thursday. My choice would be Cooke leading the line.

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So they said... " no way LPM... he's a feckin Stubbs signing. He's push, you're delusional ya trumpet"
Step up Cody f**kin Cooke, and take a bow In front of all these "real football experts"
... what a bunch of tits!

As far as I remember, quite a few saw something in Cooke. As for Stubbs. Even an fool can come make a correct decision now and again.