The H Word

Load of nonsense, that night never happened!!!! Well it's what I tell myself :whistle

And then even to this day you hear the occasional shout from the stand to assume Hammarby position and all the young ones look at us as if we are stupid, clueless as to what we are talking about.

Had the ball in the net five times in the away leg, but had two goals disallowed just for the craic.

A financially doped Dunfermline, managed by none other than Davie Hay, actually repeated the fiasco against a team from Iceland. Here.

That Peter Mackie goal against the **** is a bit underrated. **** had scored a customary late equaliser, but Mackie was having none of it this time and burst through the middle of them to rattle in the winner down at the Love Street end.

If it’s any consolation H@mmerby went out in into the following round. They were beaten by FC Koln 

H@mmerby were 2-1 up after the first leg but lost 3-1 to the Germans away from home in the second leg with deciding goal being scored against then in the 86 minute!

Fc Koln went on to reach the final playing Real Madrid

Can you imagine - we beat Koln - then hump sporting clube of Portugal in the quarter final before seeing off Waregem ( who?) of Belgium before our date with destiny against the Spanish giants 

Edited by Liverpool Bud

Awful night, but being a “younger” one I wasn’t alive at the time, so that article is probably the best insight I’ve had into what happened. Always known “Hammarby” was never to be spoken of, and I knew it involved late goals, but I knew nothing more until now.

The 2010 defeat to OldCo will always be the Hammarby moment of my generation.

If it’s any consolation H@mmerby went out in into the following round. They were beaten by FC Koln 
H@mmerby were 2-1 up after the first leg but lost 3-1 to the Germans away from home in the second leg with deciding goal being scored against then in the 86 minute!
Fc Koln went on to reach the final playing Real Madrid
Can you imagine - we beat Koln - then hump sporting clube of Portugal in the quarter final before seeing off Waregem ( who?) of Belgium before our date with destiny against the Spanish giants 

Of course course, that should really have been our second European Final against Real Madrid.

Had Billy Thomson not made an arse of it, we’d have beaten Aberdeen in the 1982 Scottish Cup Semi, defeated Rangers in the final then gone on to defeat Bayern Munich in the European Cup Winners Cup the following season before taking on Real in the final.

And we should then have topped it off with our third European triumph in 1988 instead of Mechelen who went on to win the Cup Winners Cup defeating Ajax in the final.