The H Word

1 hour ago, paul torfason said:

See after mechelen put us out,did they get to final that season or next?anyone any info,cheers

They won the old Super Cup the season after they beat us. 

9 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Awful night, but being a “younger” one I wasn’t alive at the time, so that article is probably the best insight I’ve had into what happened. Always known “Hammarby” was never to be spoken of, and I knew it involved late goals, but I knew nothing more until now.

The 2010 defeat to OldCo will always be the Hammarby moment of my generation.

Was at both

The final was a lot worse

Campbell Money and Jim Rooney were very naive in the Hammarby game and was more angry at them than anything else

The final i was sick to the stomach a great chance to beat that lot in a final and playback for the injustices of the semi finals in the 80s

I was not around for Hammarby but will argue til I'm purple in the face that it 100% won't be worse than 2010.

Nothing ever will. To lose a national cup final against 9 men and have to actually face the indignity of going to work alongside cunts who watched it on the f**king telly laughing at you, and you literally have no comeback to any of their jibes, is disgraceful. 

Hammarby, we had no history with before or after... Big a match as it was for us, it was a throwaway tie in a tournament where we'd have lasted perhaps another round or two. 

We had a national cup win in our hands against one of the ugly sisters and comprehensively so. And shat the bed on a scale I hope we never have to witness again. 

Edited by djchapsticks

6 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

You'd better stop watching St Mirren if you want that last bit to come true.

By the time 2010 came about, I was of an age where, being a Buddie, you just expected it to happen. The Hammarby game feels worse to me, probably because I was younger and still somewhat naive to the ways of St Mirren.

Yep that’s exactly how I feel!!!

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I was not around for Hammarby but will argue til I'm purple in the face that it 100% won't be worse than 2010.

Nothing ever will. To lose a national cup final against 9 men and have to actually face the indignity of going to work alongside cunts who watched it on the f**king telly laughing at you, and you literally have no comeback to any of their jibes, is disgraceful. 

Hammarby, we had no history with before or after... Big a match as it was for us, it was a throwaway tie in a tournament where we'd have lasted perhaps another round or two. 

We had a national cup win in our hands against one of the ugly sisters and comprehensively so. And shat the bed on a scale I hope we never have to witness again. 

I, and I suspect most of us who went, expected us to win the game (the 80s were different times for Scottish teams in Europe) after all we'd drawn the away leg 3-3 despite having two goals disallowed. During the match we were the better team, albeit marginally until we decided to defend the lead with about 5-10 mins to go. After their disallowed goal I was saying "Take your time Campbell, the slow route via Cosmo's!". We could have run the clock down a bit and more importantly got the team set up defensively but Money took the free kick hurriedly with our players scattered randomly - the rest is still my biggest Saints nightmare.

I didn't think we would win the 9mangame until Thomson was sent off, so really only just under half an hour. Sure it was absolutely gutting when they scored (wasn't it Potter?) but not on the magnitude of H******* for me.

As for OF fans - who cares what they think? Anyway we shut up one half of them the next game - all part of Saints Rich Pageant!

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, ged62 said:

I’m well over it had worse days since. The ups & downs of being a St Mirren fan emoji6.png

Correct

Well over it since we have done our own Hammarby on teams

About a year later away to Motherwell scoring twice in the last minute to beat them 2-1

Away to Raith in Hendrie's Championship winning season

At the time it seemed unusual but it happens quite often

Man Utd done it to Bayern Munich in a Champions League Final

Losing a cup final to 9 men is a bit special

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

THE ‘H’ word !

Just been discussed in full gory details on Off the ball !

Seriously....., what’s wrong with some people?

I had to switch it off for a couple of minutes. Why is Chick Young still getting gigs on the radio?

• 7 months later...
Guest TPAFKATS
Never to be mentioned. In Stockholm I visited their offices. 
I was in the building on another job where an ex special services officer taught difficult kids. He ran a tight ship but the kids loved him, 
Are you really Bob Servant?

• 4 years later...