Danny Baker

Wilbur

Guest TPAFKATS
His intention clearly wasn't to make a comparison between black people and chimps. 
It was an entirely different joke with nothing to do with race, which you clearly don't understand.
You on the other hand have once again - after being told multiple times not do it - came on and called someone "coloured". Its unbelievable!
Different generations use different terms and unfortunately it's difficult to change a term you've used for decades.
This is however rather ironic given you are talking about black people when the current terminology is people of colour.

22 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Different generations use different terms and unfortunately it's difficult to change a term you've used for decades.
This is however rather ironic given you are talking about black people when the current terminology is people of colour.

Says who?

Who exactly is making these decisions?

Why do they keep changing their minds and attacking those who don't instantly obey their new rule?

Why is "people of colour" OK but "coloured" is worthy of the sack and public humiliation?

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask these questions.

I am also confused at why there is a need to even refer to the colour of someone's skin in normal day to day conversation.

Edited by oaksoft

Is DB ever funny ? Who likes the Royals anyway?

All opinions - it is far too easy to say things in today's culture which cause people offence - freedom of speech v inappropriate stuff has all kinds of boundaries, some good, some bad…  In My opinion

Guest TPAFKATS
Says who?
Who exactly is making these decisions?
Why do they keep changing their minds and attacking those who don't instantly obey their new rule?
Why is "people of colour" OK but "coloured" is worthy of the sack and public humiliation?
I don't think it is reasonable to ask these questions.
I am also confused at why there is a need to even refer to the colour of someone's skin in normal day to day conversation.
Says who?
Answer, those who object to being called certain words. Seems fair enough to me. "They" don't keep changing their mind as far as I can see, it's a new generation who change the terminology. Language is always changing and evolving.
Unless you mean "they" as a race or skin colour?

I'm not aware of anyone being sacked for using the term "coloured" or "black" as opposed to BAME or "person of colour". That seems a bit drastic and extreme.
It also sounds like one of those hysterical tabloid stories that upon examination didn't actually happen.

I guess there's a need to refer to skin colour or race as there's inherent racism in our society. There's also inherent misogyny in our society yet there's always complaints from white males about how unfair our lot is.

Hopefully this helps and it's good that you've acknowledged you were unreasonable. It's a start [emoji1303] [emoji12]

15 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Says who?
Answer, those who object to being called certain words. Seems fair enough to me. "They" don't keep changing their mind as far as I can see, it's a new generation who change the terminology. Language is always changing and evolving.
Unless you mean "they" as a race or skin colour?

I'm not aware of anyone being sacked for using the term "coloured" or "black" as opposed to BAME or "person of colour". That seems a bit drastic and extreme.
It also sounds like one of those hysterical tabloid stories that upon examination didn't actually happen.

I guess there's a need to refer to skin colour or race as there's inherent racism in our society. There's also inherent misogyny in our society yet there's always complaints from white males about how unfair our lot is.

Hopefully this helps and it's good that you've acknowledged you were unreasonable. It's a start emoji1303.pngemoji12.png

Unreasonable.

f**k! 😀

That bold bit? Don't try and put words in my mouth. Naughty TPAK-thingy.

No change of mind? So we haven't gone from using the word "coloured" to "black" to "people of colour" to "African American" whatever the hell that last one is supposed to mean given most black Americans were born in America.

Someone is changing their minds over what words are acceptable and if I'm going to trip myself up figuring out what the appropriate words are, it would be good to know who is doing this and why.

I believe Alan Hansen (might be wrong ) recently used the phrase "coloured" and was hounded for it. There were calls for his sacking and he had to publicly whip himself as a result. It was someone in football anyway.

The thing about white males is that the vast majority as far as I can see display no misogyny but are being tarred by those who are. It's difficult to be a young man and see for example that young women get £2000 handed to them when they start some engineering and science degrees when there is no possibility for young men to receive that level of award. Fixed quotas based on gender (don't even get me started on that nonsense) are the same. You can't fight sexism by using sexist tools and expect no backlash.

Anyway, I still think the best way to respond to the PC brigade is to tell them to f**k off and focus on actual discrimination.

Edited by oaksoft

4 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Is DB ever funny ? Who likes the Royals anyway?

All opinions - it is far too easy to say things in today's culture which cause people offence - freedom of speech v inappropriate stuff has all kinds of boundaries, some good, some bad…  In My opinion

Well, yes actually.

IMO Danny Baker can be very funny on his radio show. And he has proven himself (to me) to be witty and highly-intelligent, hence his wide fan-base.

You may have your own opinion of him Sweeper07, but I have listened to him on the radio for over 20 years and I know (is that an opinion ?) that he is sharp-witted and entertaining.

The guy has made a monumental error of judgement this week and is rightly being pilloried. But being pilloried for being a cock is not the same thing as being pilloried as a racist and (IMO) there is no conclusive evidence that DB has shown himself to be racist.

To be categorised as a racist would kill his career and, on the available evidence, I believe that this is unfounded. At worst not proven.

Hey, just my opinion though. I'm pretty that sure IOBS will have a different point of view but that's what opinions are all about, eh ?

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Well, yes actually.

IMO Danny Baker can be very funny on his radio show. And he has proven himself (to me) to be witty and highly-intelligent, hence his wide fan-base.

You may have your own opinion of him Sweeper07, but I have listened to him on the radio for over 20 years and I know (is that an opinion ?) that he is sharp-witted and entertaining.

The guy has made a monumental error of judgement this week and is rightly being pilloried. But being pilloried for being a cock is not the same thing as being pilloried as a racist and (IMO) there is no conclusive evidence that DB has shown himself to be racist.

To be categorised as a racist would kill his career and, on the available evidence, I believe that this is unfounded. At worst not proven.

Hey, just my opinion though. I'm pretty that sure IOBS will have a different point of view but that's what opinions are all about, eh ?

Hey Wilbur - I am not having a go at you or anyone who like DB. I have never listened much to him simply because my perception was that he did not appeal to me - sp your opinion is more informed than mine!

I concur that he has made a serious error too - that however was my point - "you" say something these days and you are slaughtered and done for - a decade ago it was funny but near the bone...

This is why I try to avoid the latest issues . . . . I don't believe the same things as "all" others these days . . . 

Guest TPAFKATS
Unreasonable.
f**k! [emoji3]
That bold bit? Don't try and put words in my mouth. Naughty TPAK-thingy.
No change of mind? So we haven't gone from using the word "coloured" to "black" to "people of colour" to "African American" whatever the hell that last one is supposed to mean given most black Americans were born in America.
Someone is changing their minds over what words are acceptable and if I'm going to trip myself up figuring out what the appropriate words are, it would be good to know who is doing this and why.
I believe Alan Hansen (might be wrong ) recently used the phrase "coloured" and was hounded for it. There were calls for his sacking and he had to publicly whip himself as a result. It was someone in football anyway.
The thing about white males is that the vast majority as far as I can see display no misogyny but are being tarred by those who are. It's difficult to be a young man and see for example that young women get £2000 handed to them when they start some engineering and science degrees when there is no possibility for young men to receive that level of award. Fixed quotas based on gender (don't even get me started on that nonsense) are the same. You can't fight sexism by using sexist tools and expect no backlash.
Anyway, I still think the best way to respond to the PC brigade is to tell them to f**k off and focus on actual discrimination.
You as a white person objecting to black people choosing to take control of the terms used to identify them is a great example of the issue I was talking about.

I don't think anyone should be sacked as a football pundit for using the term coloured, however if you are being paid to give public opinions you really should be able to understand what language is acceptable.
I don't know who this "pundit" was but I do wonder how relevant their opinion would be in this role if they are using these terms.

Guest TPAFKATS

You may have a point there but what if "white" people decided that they preferred to be called "non coloured" or "non black" or similar, would "coloured" or "black" people be accused of being racist for not using those terms? As far as I'm concerned, as long as you aren't putting "cunts" or "bastards" (or any other insult) after whatever term you use then just about anything should be acceptable. Just my opinion, of course.

Generally speaking yes, however the context here is that whites have controlled the narrative for centuries.

Guest TPAFKATS
So someone else should control the narrative now? Wouldn't it be better to not give too much power to specific collections of letters, no matter who is using them.
I'm not sure why it's a problem for people of colour to control their own narrative?

I'm not sure why it's a problem for people of colour to control their own narrative?
That's the key.

I was referred to by a nickname at school. I hated it at the time but was too timid to deal with it...

As an adult, someone used the same term as a well meaning nickname.

I asked them not to as it brought back bad memories. Problem solved.

Point?

We may use a term in all innocent but if offence is taken, we should respond to that.

8 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

You as a white person objecting to black people choosing to take control of the terms used to identify them is a great example of the issue I was talking about.

Oh come on that is ridiculous. That is not what I said at all you cheeky wee scamp. Nice try though. 😂😂

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:
So someone else should control the narrative now? Wouldn't it be better to not give too much power to specific collections of letters, no matter who is using them.

It becomes a problem when they keep changing how they want to be referred to amd you had better believe that there are people enjoying watching white PC types fumbling around over this nonsense.

Nobody should be controlling anything.

Guest TPAFKATS
It becomes a problem when they keep changing how they want to be referred to amd you had better believe that there are people enjoying watching white PC types fumbling around over this nonsense.
Nobody should be controlling anything.
"They" don't keep changing how they want to be referred to though.
People of this ethnicity have made changes to what they regard as acceptable terminology over years, decades in fact.
That ethnic group should be controlling it otherwise it would still be acceptable to use terms like "nigger" and "coon".
Its not about being PC, it's about calling an ethnic group by the words that they find acceptable.

Guest TPAFKATS
And what if a "person of colour" told you that they found that offensive, how would you refer to "people of colour" if that person was just one of many "people of colour" in your audience? Everyone takes offence at different things and it is just ridiculous that everyone else should have to watch every p&q so as not to offend every snowflake out there. It's usually pretty obvious when someone is using a term in a derogatory manner (and I have no issues with them being pulled up for it) but when someone just doesn't use the latest PC term then it's just silly to take offence. It's like like someone pulling you up for calling a sofa a couch.
You are being utterly ridiculous.

Guest TPAFKATS
At least answer the question. [emoji14]
Can I refer you to this
"They" don't keep changing how they want to be referred to though.
People of this ethnicity have made changes to what they regard as acceptable terminology over years, decades in fact.
That ethnic group should be controlling it otherwise it would still be acceptable to use terms like "nigger" and "coon".
Its not about being PC, it's about calling an ethnic group by the words that they find acceptable.

Guest TPAFKATS
Only if you want to avoid answering the question.

How do you refer to any group of people if that group disagree within themselves on how they want to be referred to? Never mind the opinions of the self proclaimed voices of that group, they won't speak for them all, they probably won't even have asked them all. Why should I take the word of a small, or even large, group of people who try to claim to talk for everyone in an even larger group? What if even one of that group object to being called what "their mouthpiece" claims to be the correct phrase? Who's opinion matters most? If a group of black people came out and claimed that they wanted to be referred to as niggers, is it then OK to call every black person that? What if they claimed to be representing the majority of black people? It's all ridiculous. As I said, it's usually obvious when someone is using a term in a derogatory fashion, concentrate on pulling them up, not people who are obviously not intending any offence by using a specific word or phrase.

A word or phrase in itself is not offensive, it's the context it is used in which can make it offensive. If I called a black man a nigger, then that would probably make the word offensive to him. If I said that it is offensive to call a black man a nigger, then the word would probably not be offensive to him. It's all about context.
Your last paragraph is the only part that actually makes any sense. The rest is contradictory nonsense or irrelevant to what I said.

Guest TPAFKATS
Can you point out the contradictions?
I really don't have the time or energy for the length of your post here's a thought for you - you say that it's obvious if you use a derogatory term, but how is it a derogatory term? What has made it derogatory now, when it wasn't before?
The answer is the people on the receiving end telling you its derogatory - see BinEK post earlier tonight for what I assume is a non racial example.