Danny Baker

Wilbur

On 5/13/2019 at 8:03 AM, TPAFKATS said:

OK, I'll try again.
You claim no one is voting on what terms are now derogatory or shouldn't be used. You claim hypothetically that if one person or a small group want to he called a term then we change just for them. You say this is nonsense.
At the same time you acknowledge that calling someone nigger would be derogatory. How do you know this if by the standards in your own post there wasn't a vote taken or you aren't certain that everyone finds that term unacceptable?

The answer is that the ethnic group have collectively expressed opposition to being called by that term. No votes taken but people representing them have campaigned on it. Similar with indigenous Americans not being called red Indians anymore.
As newer generations come along more changes are made to what is deemed to be acceptable language.
Old farts like us struggle with this as words we found OK are now not OK.
Language evolves and it's entirely right that the ethnic groups being referred to are making these decisions.
As I said yesterday, the narrative over this particular area was controlled by whites for centuries and its only in the last 20 years or so that terms have changed.

Language is important and if you don't question it you allow others to control your identity.

Are you seriously equating calling a man "black" or "coloured" with calling him the n word?

Anyone who thinks this is a reasonable thing to do needs to have a word with themselves.

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Looks like he used a USA search engine...

The term "person of color" today is used primarily in the United States to describe any person who is not considered white. The term encompasses all non-white people, emphasizing common experiences of systemic racism. Wikipedia

What was wrong with African American?

Is that not allowed anymore?

Why "people of colour" but not "coloured"?

Honestly of all the actual problems facing black people in the world, THIS utter tripe is what moistens peoples gussets?

Edited by oaksoft

Guest TPAFKATS
Speak for yourself.
I haven't controlled anyone's narrative.
No it wouldn't. Why on earth are you bringing those terms up?
That last sentence is about allowing people to hit you over the head for the sins of others in history.
In Scotland that would be the equivalent of blaming the English for oppressing Scots 250+ years ago.
And what DO they find acceptable? It used to be "coloured" then it was "black" and now it is "people of colour". This is ridiculous. pandering and does nothing to stop real persecution of that group.
Are you seriously equating calling a man "black" or "coloured" with calling him the n word?
Anyone who thinks this is a reasonable thing to do needs to have a word with themselves.
You've once again shown that you are nowhere near as clever as you like to portray yourself on here [emoji42]

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

You've once again shown that you are nowhere near as clever as you like to portray yourself on here emoji42.png

TBH you have been intellectually rinsed on this topic by more than just me

slarti has basically stitched you up like a kipper with logic a schoolboy could have followed.

I don't think you are in any position to talk about how clever other people are.

Guest TPAFKATS
slarti has basically stitched you up like a kipper with logic a schoolboy could have followed.
I don't think you are in any position to talk about how clever other people are.
In your opinion and you've shown that to be utter tripe with your last few posts.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:
9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

In your opinion and you've shown that to be utter tripe with your last few posts.

Happy to leave it to others to cast their judgment either way.

I suggest you just give up. Your PC control freakery is grating.

Guest TPAFKATS
Happy to leave it to others to cast their judgment either way.
I suggest you just give up. Your PC control freakery is grating.
I don't have PC control freakery.

I just think that an ethnic group are best placed to decide what term they want to be known by.

My daughters Boyfriend does not object to being called “ a person of colour “ although he does find it unnecessary , as the term black does for him . He finds it funny when pc brigade tie themselves up in knots trying not to be offensive.
He doesn’t like being called a c**t though.

7 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

My daughters Boyfriend does not object to being called “ a person of colour “ although he does find it unnecessary , as the term black does for him . He finds it funny when pc brigade tie themselves up in knots trying not to be offensive.

I am finding this all a bit offensive - but I don't know what to say - knowing me if I do, I will offend someone . . .:bounce2

This is no joke these days . . . 

It is a joke, though. That's the point.

Anyone who thinks that they can go through their life without being offended by something is a moron.

If you're offended then be offended. It doesn't hurt you, you don't suddenly wake up the next day with leprosy.

Nobody can offend you unless you choose to be offended. What offends one person may not offend another.

I'm offended by boy bands, FFS. Will they be banned?
We can only hope!

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Anyone who thinks that they can go through their life without being offended by something is a moron.

If you're offended then be offended. It doesn't hurt you, you don't suddenly wake up the next day with leprosy.

Nobody can offend you unless you choose to be offended. What offends one person may not offend another.

In the one sense you are bang on - but in another not. People will lose their jobs over this kind of thing, and have done.

Who judges which ones are right and which ones and wrong?

Not sure about your line I highlighted - again people can take some things without being offended or take a verbal tickling, but sticks and stones break bone - names and verbal stuff can damage some folk too - often because of past experiences - getting put down - low self esteem etc. etc.

Now I have said more than I planned too - just waiting in fear now for someone to take offence at this... :ph34r:

11 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

This is a very familiar story.

I know many who find it patronising because it's clear that the PC person is seeing their colour rather than the human inside. Ironic really when you think about it.

59 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

In the one sense you are bang on - but in another not. People will lose their jobs over this kind of thing, and have done.

Who judges which ones are right and which ones and wrong?

Not sure about your line I highlighted - again people can take some things without being offended or take a verbal tickling, but sticks and stones break bone - names and verbal stuff can damage some folk too - often because of past experiences - getting put down - low self esteem etc. etc.

Now I have said more than I planned too - just waiting in fear now for someone to take offence at this... :ph34r:

I tried asking that but nobody seems to know.

TPAK thingy made some vague reference about people choosing what others should call them but that's not helpful when you typically can't get two people in life to agree on the colour of shite.

12 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

I don't have PC control freakery.

I just think that an ethnic group are best placed to decide what term they want to be known by.

In theory? Perfect.

In the real world you won't get agreement on that within any ethnic group.

Oh and you most certainly do have control freakery.

Guest TPAFKATS

This is a Stephen Laxley Lennon excuse. You'll be claiming free speech next.
Stop digging.

Baker could have killed the whole story by saying sorry, but when he then goes on to justify his retweet and defend it as not racist and attacking those who objected to the post, then he showed himself up for what he is. Sacking him definately the right call.

56 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

This is a Stephen Laxley Lennon excuse. You'll be claiming free speech next.
Stop digging.

2 hours ago, insaintee said:

Can I just say Oakey not a racist definately not, now way.

Just like Danny. No way racist for sure for sure. Some of his best friends are imaginary black and he loves soul music

Two fantastic examples of how to lose an argument without retaining a shred of dignity.

If someone doesnt agree with you, call them a racist.

Bravo, the pair of you.

What a couple of spangles.

Just now, Slartibartfast said:
2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:
Two fantastic examples of how to lose an argument without retaining a shred of dignity.
Bravo, the pair of you.

I have no idea who this Lennon guy is - and I don't care.

He is a nobody. A bit like the bellend who tried to paint you as being just like him.

Guest TPAFKATS
Bravo, the pair of you.
If it posts racist comments, it's generally a racist. Even if it doesn't realise.

11 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
13 hours ago, oaksoft said:
Bravo, the pair of you.

If it posts racist comments, it's generally a racist. Even if it doesn't realise.

"It"?

Deary me.

BTW if you think there's a racist post anywhere on this thread you clearly don't understand racism.