Glory Hunters

DougJamie

Guest TPAFKATS

I have a wry smile when Liverpool and Man United fans have a moan and complain about man City spending roughly the same amount of money as their clubs do.

The same irony at Barcelona complaining about PSG and Man City.

19 hours ago, DougJamie said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48265079

Why is this a surprise,,,,,,,,,,  Pep spent over $1billion on players. 500 m at City, with a club whose revenue is alledgedly  450m , however 65% of that is sponsorship...................

Looking forward to EPL if Brexit goes into full swing 

The thing is, financially football has got so far out of hand, the only way to compete with the top clubs is to have a massive injection of funds pumped in from the outside. Basically what’s happened is the likes of Bayern, Barca, Real, Man Utd and Liverpool became big, then didn’t like the fact others were becoming big. The only way to become successful and sustain it is to break the FFP rules.

12 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

The thing is, financially football has got so far out of hand, the only way to compete with the top clubs is to have a massive injection of funds pumped in from the outside. Basically what’s happened is the likes of Bayern, Barca, Real, Man Utd and Liverpool became big, then didn’t like the fact others were becoming big. The only way to become successful and sustain it is to break the FFP rules.

TBF Cornwall, Bayern, Barca, Juve, Liverpool, Man Utd and PSG are far BIGGER clubs, Man City struggle to 35000 league games They are not a big club, unlike Top German teams,  , Spanish Teams that get 80k plus and sellout every week

Man City have bought their way up, Pep is great manager but its a bit like saying  Lewis Hamilton is a great F1 driver, even though his team is biggest , they get the most investment and they have the best car................

Wonder if Pep would have kept Falkirk up, put us in Top 6 or even won league with Dundee Utd, I have a feeling we will never know:P   

Unless he is No1 to replace Oran !!!"

3 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

TBF Cornwall, Bayern, Barca, Juve, Liverpool, Man Utd and PSG are far BIGGER clubs, Man City struggle to 35000 league games They are not a big club, unlike Top German teams,  , Spanish Teams that get 80k plus and sellout every week

Man City have bought their way up, Pep is great manager but its a bit like saying  Lewis Hamilton is a great F1 driver, even though his team is biggest , they get the most investment and they have the best car................

Wonder if Pep would have kept Falkirk up, put us in Top 6 or even won league with Dundee Utd, I have a feeling we will never know:P   

I can exclusively reveal that Pep is NOT replacing Oran this summer.....

After a successful season help us survive, and with a fresh cash injection, Oran is staying to move us upwards in the standings for next season.

This time with some more goal scorers.... :ninja (Come on Gus, get them over the line this time..)

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

You’re right here, but that’s the case for most teams. No team can become big now through a good youth system, or just plain good coaching. The likes of Ajax and Southampton have brought through many good young players in the past few years, and if those players stayed loyal they would be two very good sides right now (Ajax are but you know what will happen in the summer). A good coach will eventually get picked up by a bigger club. The only way to compete with the “big” clubs is through money.

The current “big” clubs are only well supported down to glory hunting (as you’ve titled the thread). If Man City are still big in 20 years, they’ll have that element too.

I couldn’t give a crap about their “big” fanbases. I’ve got more admiration for the 30K+ Sunderland fans rocking up to watch them in League One, or the Leeds fans (while Leeds are cunts) who still support their club well in the Championship - that’s where your passion is truly tested after being down there for a long time. Down here, the conversations with those who support Villa and QPR are always more interesting than talking to another Liverpool “fan”.

53 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

You’re right here, but that’s the case for most teams. No team can become big now through a good youth system, or just plain good coaching. The likes of Ajax and Southampton have brought through many good young players in the past few years, and if those players stayed loyal they would be two very good sides right now (Ajax are but you know what will happen in the summer). A good coach will eventually get picked up by a bigger club. The only way to compete with the “big” clubs is through money.

The current “big” clubs are only well supported down to glory hunting (as you’ve titled the thread). If Man City are still big in 20 years, they’ll have that element too.

I couldn’t give a crap about their “big” fanbases. I’ve got more admiration for the 30K+ Sunderland fans rocking up to watch them in League One, or the Leeds fans (while Leeds are cunts) who still support their club well in the Championship - that’s where your passion is truly tested after being down there for a long time. Down here, the conversations with those who support Villa and QPR are always more interesting than talking to another Liverpool “fan”.

Very True

Just feels its all so unsustainable . Man City and the like are having to cook books so they can pay the extorinate fees to agents and transfer fees. Sure they have a billionaire behind them ( and its not Craig Whyte :D) bt they are breaking rules over spend v turnover, so they lie about turnover

Lets look who City have bought in last 18 months

Nolito  13.8m - who he ??

Zinchenko - 27m

Jesus - 27m

Stones 47.5m

Bravo- 15.4m - who he ??

Bernado Silva - 43m

Ederson 35m

Walker 45m - H aha ha

Danilo - 26.5 m

Mendy 50 m

Laporte - 57m

Mahrez- 60m

12 playes, total cost  448m- average of 37m a player,  4 of these players are regulars , 4 on bench and 4 who play in the early rounds of the League Cup

Lets also add that only 2 are English and 8 are Hispanic

I give it 10 years and the EPL will emplode , hopefully taking our ugly sisters with them 

Edited by DougJamie

35 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Very True

Just feels its all so unsustainable . Man City and the like are having to cook books so they can pay the extorinate fees to agents and transfer fees. Sure they have a billionaire behind them ( and its not Craig Whyte :D) bt they are breaking rules over spend v turnover, so they lie about turnover

Lets look who City have bought in last 18 months

Nolito  13.8m - who he ??

Zinchenko - 27m

Jesus - 27m

Stones 47.5m

Bravo- 15.4m - who he ??

Bernado Silva - 43m

Ederson 35m

Walker 45m - H aha ha

Danilo - 26.5 m

Mendy 50 m

Laporte - 57m

Mahrez- 60m

12 playes, total cost  448m- average of 37m a player,  4 of these players are regulars , 4 on bench and 4 who play in the early rounds of the League Cup

Lets also add that only 2 are English and 8 are Hispanic

I give it 10 years and the EPL will emplode , hopefully taking our ugly sisters with them 

Ideally these costs need capped - but the moment you stick that on the big teams, that’s when they’ll follow through with this European Superleague pish. The combination of Bosmans and the revamps of European football have killed the game and it’s now at a point where it can’t be fixed.

What's  even worse imo is a club the size of Bournemouth (stadium capacity about 12,000) have been able to sign 8 players with fees over £10m (2 over £20m) in the last couple of seasons - that is even more bonkers than the signings of the City and Liverpool's of this world !!!

Hearts and Hibs are bigger clubs stadium and support wise. That is totally unsustainable

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

What's  even worse imo is a club the size of Bournemouth (stadium capacity about 12,000) have been able to sign 8 players with fees over £10m (2 over £20m) in the last couple of seasons - that is even more bonkers than the signings of the City and Liverpool's of this world !!!

Hearts and Hibs are bigger clubs stadium and support wise. That is totally unsustainable

Even more unstainable was the 75k we wasted by that prat on that prat

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Why is it unsustainable?

A pound that comes in from TV revenue is worth just as much as a pound that comes in through the gate.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:39 PM, Kemp said:

Why is it unsustainable?

A pound that comes in from TV revenue is worth just as much as a pound that comes in through the gate.

Exactly but that is the only thing propping the system up. No TV deal and the whole deck of cards collapses. Look what happened when teams use to EPL finance drop down the divisions.

On 5/15/2019 at 9:56 AM, DougJamie said:

Aye, average is just over 54,000. :byebye

The talk of football, and English football in particular, crumbling have been punted, and hoped for, for years.

Don't hold your breath, or in some cases, please do. 

15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, average is just over 54,000. :byebye

The talk of football, and English football in particular, crumbling have been punted, and hoped for, for years.

Don't hold your breath, or in some cases, please do. 

Yeah the same way Celtic get 59000 every game . City play in front of half empty stadia loads of games.

Welcome back FAS

Missed ya :P

Edited by DougJamie

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

No they don't, you're still making things up. 😀

Have a little read of this my friend, I know its the Sun but we have 2 Man City supporters in here who say it sometimes less than 30000 Midweek

Now dont let facts get in the way

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/5858319/manchester-city-average-attendance-etihad-stadium-premier-league-southampton-watford-arsenal/

20 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Have a little read of this my friend, I know its the Sun but we have 2 Man City supporters in here who say it sometimes less than 30000 Midweek

Now dont let facts get in the way

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/5858319/manchester-city-average-attendance-etihad-stadium-premier-league-southampton-watford-arsenal/

Sun's your point up ........., 2 "supporters" talking to the Sun. 😀

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Exactly but that is the only thing propping the system up. No TV deal and the whole deck of cards collapses. Look what happened when teams use to EPL finance drop down the divisions.

There is a TV deal though, and there will continue to be larger and larger TV deals.

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I wouldn't call anyone turning up to see a team try to avoid relegation as glory hunters. 😀

You got your ticket FAS.   I bet your sitting in my seat.

I can handle that,  just don't jump in front of me at the bar.

All Buds together. Should be a fun day out.

Edited by East Lothian Saint