Momentum and Form

38 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Football is a game about opinions and for what it’s worth here’s mine.

I question the idea that Oran is tactically naive.

He has a game plan and in his early days his substitutions (when they were made) were largely ineffective. This led to some questioning his ability and comparing his points rate to that of Stubbs. I think the problem here was.

Most of the players he inherited were crap. It’s easy to spot crap players on the field but when all you have on the bench are players who are even more crap. (Or more Crapper). It may just have come down to fitness. No point in being tactical just get fresh legs on.

Alan Stubbs left us with an unfit team and a captain who needed shorts two sizes bigger than the season before because of ballooning arse syndrome. It’s hard to play quality football when you’re a Fat Bassa. Ask Mike Yardley.

Since Oran has got the team fitter, Top Bin being a classic example of how a manager makes a difference, and he has made signings that offer more depth and option his substitutions have been much more effective.

Like most good managers when you have good players you can make a difference. The argument that he is a bad manager because he couldn’t motivate a bunch of unfit duds is unfair.

In the tactical battle between Neilston (who rejected us) and Oran my money is on Oran.

Robbie has been playing his season in a lesser league with the best players in his division and superior budget. He failed to win the league. His team have grabbed a lifeline and they will be up for it but will they be good enough. I don’t think so.

Oran has been playing most of the season with arguably the worst players in the top league but kept our survival hopes alive. He now has much better players. He’s racking up the points and we’re winning by fighting and scrambling for every point. We are a much bigger, stronger, fitter  and more balanced team than we were the last time we met them, and Oran knows his players much better now.

Neilston has a 60% win Ratio with United and Oran has a 22% win rate with Saints but you can’t compare apples and oranges.

I think we will see the best of Oran over these two games.

“The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things.” 

Cody Cooke wasn’t a bad substitution

But not a Kearney signing, indeed over half the team in the last few werks has bern largely others signings dispelling the myth he didnt have goid enough players to take 11 points from 15.

keep us up, job done.

But not a Kearney signing, indeed over half the team in the last few werks has bern largely others signings dispelling the myth he didnt have goid enough players to take 11 points from 15.
keep us up, job done.

Do you drink with Elvis or are you Elvis? [emoji6]

23 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

keep us up, job done.

The team is much fitter now under Oran which is why they are better. Under Stubbs their fitness was shocking. Stubbs is documented as having a lethargic approach to training. It couldn't have been better illustrated than by the state of Stephen McGinn. I think he is also now playing them in positions that suit his tactics. Previously they couldn't do this.

I love the way Cody Cooke is coming onto a game but I personally don't think he's a great striker. Oran used him because Dundee were playing 16 year olds and were down to 10 men.

I'm not a great Mullen Fan either but to be fair he has been effective recently.

I think Jackson is the best forward we have. He's not a great scorer but he's still the best we have. The St Johnstone penalty was unfortunate.

Oran signed the Duck. Not been too impressed by him. He looked good for the first 10 minutes when he came on in the 2-0 rangers game but after being on the receiving end of  couple of hard fouls he lost his taste for scottish football and has been  ineffective ever since.

Scoring goals hasn't been our strong point but since Hamill left McGennis and McAllister have been our biggest threats.

I wouldn't rush to throw in Cooke or Nazon early.

Just my opinion but I think Oran is playing it right

Edited by East Lothian Saint
tactics

I'd struggle to agree with anyone who thinks we've actually setup well against anyone. We look out of sorts even in the games we've won, toiling for large periods in games with only ourselves to blame.

Kearney is too stuck on the rigid 5-4-1 formation. Even if one is supposed to play off the striker.

The personal used are far too static for the tactic, and the constant use of playing out from the back to shell the ball forward towards a small lone striker instead of into the channels has caused us all sorts of grief.

We actually look alright when we up the tempo, against Accies Flynn actually came on and carried the ball forward to create. Kearney needs to stop playing Lyons and McAllister together, because they drift out of games for far too long tell McGinn to stay deep, he's fine as a ball player but he's so static that any passes in attack are side to side as teams sit in. Play a bigger striker to feed off if we are continuing to play though the centre backs, as their passing is crap. Give us the chance of a second ball.

Our pressing is non existent for the majority of games, probably because our players aren't athletic enough to take turns pressing the opposition relentlessly throughout the game, to force mistakes in the opposition area.

I've still not seen anything from Kearney from a tactical standpoint that's impressive.

6 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

I'd struggle to agree with anyone who thinks we've played actually setup well against anyone. We look out of sorts even in the games we've won, toiling for large periods in games with only ourselves to blame.

Kearney is too stuck on the rigid 5-4-1 formation. Even if one is supposed to play off the striker.

The personal used are far too static for the tactic, and the constant use of playing out from the back to shell the ball forward towards a small lone striker instead of into the channels has caused us all sorts of grief.

We actually look alright when we up the tempo, against Accies Flynn actually came on and carried the ball forward to create. Kearney needs to stop playing Lyons and McAllister together, because they drift out of games for far too long tell McGinn to stay deep, he's fine as a ball player but he's so static that any passes in attack are side to side as teams sit in. Play a bigger striker to feed off if we are continuing to play though the centre backs, as their passing is crap. Give us the chance of a second ball.

Our pressing is non existent for the majority of games, probably because our players aren't athletic enough to take turns pressing the opposition relentlessly throughout the game, to force mistakes in the opposition area.

I've still not seen anything from Kearney from a tactical standpoint that's impressive.

If you focus on the last 6-8 games you might see things differently.

The previous 28-26 seemingly don't get so much attention. :wink:

If you focus on the last 6-8 games you might see things differently.
The previous 28-26 seemingly don't get so much attention. :wink:
Focusing on the last 6-8 games everything I've said is true. The previous 28-26 I'd have said we've appointed someone who has no idea in how to organise a team to get results. Tactically naive, and has no idea how to get the most out of limited players, even if it means shit festing games to get a point. Kearney was utter shite for the majority of this season, to the extent he was totally out his depth, even if his predecessor was worse.

11 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

I'd struggle to agree with anyone who thinks we've played actually setup well against anyone. We look out of sorts even in the games we've won, toiling for large periods in games with only ourselves to blame.

I can see your point re Lyons. I often wonder what he brings to the team, Most times when he gets the ball it goes backwards. He makes the odd telling run but I'm not his biggest fan. 

I disagree about McGinn. He is a piss poor ball winner and lots of our goals have been conceded when he plays too deep. Dundee was a classic example. Bairdy and him where left standing. I think when he's on form  he's a real threat going forward. He's looking good just now. I reckon there's a Vincent Kompany type goal coming from him soon.

I would still think The two Kyles will score more than Cody over the next two games

But seriously I hope they all score 10 each.

220 - 0 would be a great aggregate score for us. 

I can see your point re Lyons. I often wonder what he brings to the team, Most times when he gets the ball it goes backwards. He makes the odd telling run but I'm not his biggest fan. 
I disagree about McGinn. He is a piss poor ball winner and lots of our goals have been conceded when he plays too deep. Dundee was a classic example. Bairdy and him where left standing. I think when he's on form  he's a real threat going forward. He's looking good just now. I reckon there's a Vincent Kompany type goal coming from him soon.
I would still think The two Kyles will score more than Cody over the next two games
McGinn doesn't have the legs to play attacking, if he's playing that role you have to put him behind the striker as he can't drive forward, not does he track back well. He does have decent ball retention even if he dwells on it for far too long, especially against teams that press us high.

I'd be completely fine with playing McAllister as part of the three in a 5-2-3, let him drift about the game. Even then that's a luxury that a team he's struggled for points all season can afford never mind adding in another.

41 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

The team is much fitter now under Oran which is why they are better. Under Stubbs their fitness was shocking. Stubbs is documented as having a lethargic approach to training. It couldn't have been better illustrated than by the state of Stephen McGinn. I think he is also now playing them in positions that suit his tactics. Previously they couldn't do this.

I love the way Cody Cooke is coming onto a game but I personally don't think he's a great striker. Oran used him because Dundee were playing 16 year olds and were down to 10 men.

I'm not a great Mullen Fan either but to be fair he has been effective recently.

I think Jackson is the best forward we have. He's not a great scorer but he's still the best we have. The St Johnstone penalty was unfortunate.

Oran signed the Duck. Not been too impressed by him. He looked good for the first 10 minutes when he came on in the 2-0 rangers game but after being on the receiving end of  couple of hard fouls he lost his taste for scottish football and has been  ineffective ever since.

Scoring goals hasn't been our strong point but since Hamill left McGennis and McAllister have been our biggest threats.

I wouldn't rush to throw in Cooke or Nazon early.

Just my opinion but I think Oran is playing it right

If Jackson is still injured then he should start with Cooke, Mullen just cant hold it up. Cooke has shown he can, and really with the talent in our midfield thats all we need him to do. But i expect he'll start with Mullen anyway.

If Jackson is still injured then he should start with Cooke, Mullen just cant hold it up. Cooke has shown he can, and really with the talent in our midfield thats all we need him to do. But i expect he'll start with Mullen anyway.
I think Cooke deserves to start ut like you I believe OK will stick to one up front, likely to be Mullen if Jackson still recovering. This will be OK if we stop launching high balls up to him and play it into the channels instead.

36 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

McGinn doesn't have the legs to play attacking, if he's playing that role you have to put him behind the striker as he can't drive forward, not does he track back well. He does have decent ball retention even if he dwells on it for far too long, especially against teams that press us high.

I'd be completely fine with playing McAllister as part of the three in a 5-2-3, let him drift about the game. Even then that's a luxury that a team he's struggled for points all season can afford never mind adding in another.

That's his greatest weakness I agree but I think he looks much fitter and better than he has all season. In the last couple of games I think he has played some great balls and let loose a couple of Rockets. I think Stephen is about to stand up to the plate at last.

Thank feck. He's been woeful all season.

The team has being playing very patient football. I get your point but our defence is suspect. When we press and players are out of position we often get caught at the back. Big Gary Mack often struggles to get back. He wasn't playing but Dundee still exploited our sloppy back tracking on Saturday.

I think Oran plays it cagey for this very reason. I get frustrated too at our lack of penetration but hopefully this week we keep United under the cosh and keep the ball at all costs. Like we have seen in Previous weeks the goals will come.

41 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I get where your coming from but let's be fair. Jack Hamilton was woeful. Cody was very fortunate on Saturday. but he got them all on target and they went in that's all you can ask but Hamilton is no Hladky

2 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Football is a game about opinions and for what it’s worth here’s mine.

I question the idea that Oran is tactically naive.

He has a game plan and in his early days his substitutions (when they were made) were largely ineffective. This led to some questioning his ability and comparing his points rate to that of Stubbs. I think the problem here was.

Most of the players he inherited were crap. It’s easy to spot crap players on the field but when all you have on the bench are players who are even more crap. (Or more Crapper). It may just have come down to fitness. No point in being tactical just get fresh legs on.

Alan Stubbs left us with an unfit team and a captain who needed shorts two sizes bigger than the season before because of ballooning arse syndrome. It’s hard to play quality football when you’re a Fat Bassa. Ask Mike Yardley.

Since Oran has got the team fitter, Top Bin being a classic example of how a manager makes a difference, and he has made signings that offer more depth and option his substitutions have been much more effective.

Like most good managers when you have good players you can make a difference. The argument that he is a bad manager because he couldn’t motivate a bunch of unfit duds is unfair.

In the tactical battle between Neilston (who rejected us) and Oran my money is on Oran.

Robbie has been playing his season in a lesser league with the best players in his division and superior budget. He failed to win the league. His team have grabbed a lifeline and they will be up for it but will they be good enough. I don’t think so.

Oran has been playing most of the season with arguably the worst players in the top league but kept our survival hopes alive. He now has much better players. He’s racking up the points and we’re winning by fighting and scrambling for every point. We are a much bigger, stronger, fitter  and more balanced team than we were the last time we met them, and Oran knows his players much better now.

Neilston has a 60% win Ratio with United and Oran has a 22% win rate with Saints but you can’t compare apples and oranges.

I think we will see the best of Oran over these two games.

“The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things.” 

Cody Cooke wasn’t a bad substitution

^^^ This is good . . . Top Bin was also carrying a hernia for many months too... brilliant though - enjoy these two ties . . . 

You've lost it if you think we'll keep a clean sheet over 2 games. Up until the 0 for United I thought your guess was fair.

I get where your coming from but let's be fair. Jack Hamilton was woeful. Cody was very fortunate on Saturday. but he got them all on target and they went in that's all you can ask but Hamilton is no Hladky
You can only play/beat/score against what's in front of you.
Well done Cody, more of the same tonight please.
COYS !