Stubbs putting the boot in

Whatever happens to St Mirren in their Premiership play-off against Dundee United, Alan Stubbs doesn’t believe he can be blamed for the fact that their top-flight status is on the line at Tannadice tonight and in Sunday’s Paisley second leg.

The Liverpudlian is more than willing to lay the blame for where it all went wrong for him at the club, though.

The former Hibernian manager lasted only three months at St Mirren, during which time he took charge of only four league matches. Yet, Oran Kearney is considered to have performed a salvage operation, despite taking over with the team 10th and ultimately finishing 11th. The Irishman is presented as having taken over a club at which a toxic atmosphere had taken root amidst a summer recruitment drive that backfired spectacularly. Stubbs signed 13 players of whom Cody Cooke is the only one remaining.

The hat-trick netted by the striker in the win over Dundee last Saturday – a result which didn’t allow Saints to overtake Hamilton in the scrap to avoid the play-offs – made for about the first time anything positive has been said about a player brought in by Stubbs.

Given the expectations and governance of chairman Gordon Scott and chief executive Tony Fitzpatrick and the suggestions that he presided over widespread dressing room unrest after he gutted the squad which had claimed the Championship under Jack Ross, Stubbs believes he has been the victim of what amounts to a smear campaign.

The 47-year-old claims the “unrest” charge” is a “complete lie” levelled at him by Scott simply because he told Adam Eckersley and Gary McKenzie
at the club’s pre-season training camp in La Manga that he didn’t see them being given much game time in his reshaped team. An accusation as unfair, he contends, as making his signings “an excuse” for the club’s league form.

“I’m not really interested in throwing mud but, at the time, I thought they were used as scapegoats,” said Stubbs, speaking yesterday as he promoted BT Sport’s coverage of the play-offs.

“[The fact they are gone] tells you about what a couple of individuals were saying to the board. We’ll see at the end of the season whether the board were right in sticking with them – or not. What I did was completely separate from what is happening now. Completely. I think people got blinded by the size of the task because they’d come up. I remember speaking to one St Mirren fan, well connected in football, and he said potentially only three of the squad I inherited were good enough.

“You look at the chairman and even Tony. One was 
saying top six, one was saying top four.

“Great to have your head in the clouds but to actually sit down and evaluate where you are and then say that, I found it baffling.

“I had Hibs in the Championship and, seeing the quality I had in that team in terms of individuals, I have to be honest these players weren’t at that level and that’s why I knew this was going to be difficult.

“Some of the players I brought in didn’t work out but those are the gambles you have to take when you are working to the level of wages.

“I can’t talk figures but the 
figures weren’t big.

“More often than not, the level of budget will dictate roughly where you are, give or take a place or two.

“When St Mirren came up they had a style. To be honest, I think Jack knew what he was leaving [when he went to Sunderland]. I spoke to Jack – not before I took the job, after I took the job – and he told me about some situations. I’m not going to go into it because that’s a private situation but after the phone call I thought: “Oh dear”. Jack was very honest with me. So I knew it was always going to be difficult, but I am not bitter and twisted. I wish them all the best. If they stay up, fantastic. I have got no animosity to them whatsoever. I could have. But I haven’t.”

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/sacked-alan-stubbs-says-st-mirren-expected-far-too-much-after-promotion-1-4932783

(Bit in bold) - Wonder if Steve Clarke said that when he arrived at Killie... "the team is pish so we're probably going down", sure sign of a great man manager  :lol: 

Thing is, Tony said the top 4 thing when JR was still here.. why take a job if you know the targets are unrealistic 🤷‍♂️ Guy baffles me. Must be wanting the Dundee or killie job since his ugly coupons all over the papers again. 

In the sea stubbsy!

Edited by mattman

2 minutes ago, mattman said:

Must be wanting the Dundee or killie job since his ugly coupons all over the papers again. 

In the sea stubbsy!

100%. There's a pattern of behaviour here - he started appearing in the press nine months or so after Rotherham binned him, blaming anyone but himself.

I wonder if anything is ever Alan Stubbs' fault. <_<

2 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

100%. There's a pattern of behaviour here - he started appearing in the press nine months or so after Rotherham binned him, blaming anyone but himself.

I wonder if anything is ever Alan Stubbs' fault. <_<

His full guard of honour carry on last week proves the guy is clueless, totally going back on what he had said a few seasons back. just talks for the sake of being heard. Best kept in the bin. 

Today is about us not him.

22 minutes ago, mattman said:

His full guard of honour carry on last week proves the guy is clueless, totally going back on what he had said a few seasons back. just talks for the sake of being heard. Best kept in the bin. 

Today is about us not him.

Yet "we" start a thread and post about him? :lol:

Watch it get busy in here today. :wink:

And here we are ready to fight for a playoff win, when the talk pre-season was of top six minimum. We all know the signings Stubbs made that were poor, we can now see the ones he got right. Its easy to swallow the board's fake news that it was all Alan's fault!

This board have let our first choice keeper walk away from a contract, and us then suffer horrendous form till Hladky got settled.

They let a coach walk from a contract who went to a relegation rival and kept them up at our expense!

They refused to meet the budget Neilson was looking for, but consequently spaffed over and above that in sackings, compo and signing two squads in one season.

they sanctioned all Stubbs signings. Now Kearney has two games to show he has it, and rumours are he's had enough!

the common denominator in all this is a hapless board who lets face it got bloody lucky with Jack Ross, who himself was keen to jump ship at the earliest opportunity, and seems to have given Stubbs the lowdown on the chaos at the SDA.

I know many will say "well Stubbs got sacked, he would say that, wouldnt he" but, just think about all the other decisions etc... and why we are no better off at present, save if we do United by Sunday....

3 key attributes to being a manager - 1) A good man manager, 2) Being a motivational manager, 3) Having a clue about what makes a good footballer. Sorry Stubs you are none of these. Pep and Jurgen are probably 2 of the best motivational managers, Mourinho was good but now not the same person. Oran has a decent bit of craic and hope he stays as he gives off the right vibes as a manager. I imagine Clarke and even Gerrard command a bit of respect and are guys you would listen to. Surely these are key checklist boxes when recruiting a gaffer.

His phone has hardly been ringing apart from BT doing a token offer to cover a Hibs game. So reckon Saints/ Rotherham tenders been noted by clubs, however........................

On a day I want to be positive , I still think a lot of gas was farted by GS and Fitzy...................... Oran has taken 6 months to start delivering with a new squad, Stubbs had 9 games.

I dont blame Stubbs but he was clearly out of his depth , lets not forget Oran has a team around him, Stubbs error was his selection of coaches and players.............. and the fact he never related to the fans.....................

If we survive this, I really hope we curb our expectations next season, 10th is success ......................... 11th is potential failure  

11 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

And here we are ready to fight for a playoff win, when the talk pre-season was of top six minimum. We all know the signings Stubbs made that were poor, we can now see the ones he got right. Its easy to swallow the board's fake news that it was all Alan's fault!

This board have let our first choice keeper walk away from a contract, and us then suffer horrendous form till Hladky got settled.

They let a coach walk from a contract who went to a relegation rival and kept them up at our expense!

They refused to meet the budget Neilson was looking for, but consequently spaffed over and above that in sackings, compo and signing two squads in one season.

they sanctioned all Stubbs signings. Now Kearney has two games to show he has it, and rumours are he's had enough!

the common denominator in all this is a hapless board who lets face it got bloody lucky with Jack Ross, who himself was keen to jump ship at the earliest opportunity, and seems to have given Stubbs the lowdown on the chaos at the SDA.

I know many will say "well Stubbs got sacked, he would say that, wouldnt he" but, just think about all the other decisions etc... and why we are no better off at present, save if we do United by Sunday....

Maybe spending our transfer budget on virtually a team of poor signings? Where are all the Stubbs signings bar Cooke? That tells you all you need to know about his ability to bring in players good enough for the team.  I agree that some signings don't work but virtually all of them?

How many f**king times do we need to hear this pish.

Allan, son, nobody is disputing the squad needed major surgery. The issues are;

1. The players you did sign were an utter load of shite. You know nothing about scouting and clearly have no good contacts - maybe just some guys who pretend to be your mate in order to cash in when they sell you aforementioned shite.

2. You have zero man management skills. In fact, you come across as an annoying prick that nobody would want to work for.

3. You have zero tactical knowledge. You couldn't beat an amateur side or a non-league side because your players had no idea where to even stand or pass the ball.

Look forward to a resounding chorus of "Are you watching, Allan Stubbs?" when we beat United and stay up.

Edited by Kemp

There's an extra bit in one of the papers I found amusing:

"I remember talking about Cammy Smith at the time when I was trying to do a bit of wheeling and dealing to try and get one out and one in.

“And it was all ‘Oh but Cammy was our Player of the Year last year’.

“But you look at the teams that were looking to take those players, it was all Championship teams. I think that really tells you a lot."

Yes Alan - but we couldn't even get Championship teams to take the duds you had landed us with! We had to send Heaton back to non-league and Kpeweka followed him and has now been binned!

Good to see him once again saying he isn't bitter.

27 minutes ago, Kemp said:

1. The players you did sign were an utter load of shite. You know nothing about scouting and clearly have no good contacts - maybe just some guys who pretend to be your mate in order to cash in when they sell you aforementioned shite.

2. You have zero man management skills. In fact, you come across as an annoying prick that nobody would want to work for.

3. You have zero tactical knowledge. You couldn't beat an amateur side or a non-league side because your players had no idea where to even stand or pass the ball.

Look forward to a resounding chorus of "Are you watching, Allan Stubbs?" when we beat United and stay up.

I wish I could like this post twice

44 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Spot on.

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Take note, some half full posters on here

Factual, passionate, well directed and Honest

Well Done Kemp

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

His phone has hardly been ringing apart from BT doing a token offer to cover a Hibs game. So reckon Saints/ Rotherham tenders been noted by clubs, however........................

On a day I want to be positive , I still think a lot of gas was farted by GS and Fitzy...................... Oran has taken 6 months to start delivering with a new squad, Stubbs had 9 games.

I dont blame Stubbs but he was clearly out of his depth , lets not forget Oran has a team around him, Stubbs error was his selection of coaches and players.............. and the fact he never related to the fans.....................

If we survive this, I really hope we curb our expectations next season, 10th is success ......................... 11th is potential failure  

:unsure:

1 minute ago, pod said:

:unsure:

Ok, I should have edited to " I dont 100% Blame Stubbs" I still think he was a knee Jerk appointment and far to much crap pre season from Mr Fitzy................... for a guy that is so unconvincing he certainly convinced our BOD in appointing him

At least his article will serve a purpose in 2 ways: toilet paper and secondly wallpaper for the dressing room tonight.

We all know the facts of why he was a failure; he knows the facts too but is so far up his own arse he can't bring himself to admit it. I did find it laughable him talking about how his Hibs side were essentially way better than us, yeah and guess what Allan - we won the league comfortably, unlike your mob and their massive playing budget!

We may go down, but we'll learn from it. He, however, will never work as a manager again. Good riddance on behalf of Scottish Football.

Edited by W6Saint

1 hour ago, nedflanders123 said:

Maybe spending our transfer budget on virtually a team of poor signings? Where are all the Stubbs signings bar Cooke? That tells you all you need to know about his ability to bring in players good enough for the team.  I agree that some signings don't work but virtually all of them?

You see right there thas what i am talking about. This isnt anout Stubbs as the board are desperate for you to hook on to!

this is about the board, and their complete mismanagement, organisational chaos and inability to communicate effectively. Stubbs is but one mile marker on the road that has brought us to staring over the abyss.

next few days will tell if Neilson is the man, or Kearney is King, but our underlying problems remain with the blazers!

You see right there thas what i am talking about. This isnt anout Stubbs as the board are desperate for you to hook on to!
this is about the board, and their complete mismanagement, organisational chaos and inability to communicate effectively. Stubbs is but one mile marker on the road that has brought us to staring over the abyss.
next few days will tell if Neilson is the man, or Kearney is King, but our underlying problems remain with the blazers!

You’re as negative as Stubbs ffs concentrate on the game tonight be positive for a change.
Hang on forgot it’s you I’m talking about [emoji6]