Big Boris, Our Prime Minister

shull

11 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

If the SNP had not taken up their seats, would the Tories not have had an outright majority, possibly even enough, excluding the Tory rebels, to push through TM's Brexit in March?

I don't think that would have went down well with a lot of the people who voted SNP.

They still have seats they just dont sit in Westminster. And to answer the above we have a Scottish Parliament unlike the Irish. The Tories stay in power becauuse Lab lost their previous 50 seats to the SNPs

They still have seats they just dont sit in Westminster. And to answer the above we have a Scottish Parliament unlike the Irish. The Tories stay in power becauuse Lab lost their previous 50 seats to the SNPs

Very true... But Labour self destructed and became an unelectable beast.

Many voters, self included, voted SNP purely as a protest vote to wake Labour up.

Even in hindsight, I'm not sure there were alternatives.

56 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

The Tories are in power due to the Scottish seats they won, which was mainly the result of Labour voters from the last election switching to them. The traditional Labour voters who had voted SNP in protest returned to vote for Labour. IMO, of course.

You make a decent argument. Context at the time was that pro brexit Labour voters could reduce SNP remainer influence at Westminster through tactical voting. 

9 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Very true... But Labour self destructed and became an unelectable beast.

Many voters, self included, voted SNP purely as a protest vote to wake Labour up.

Even in hindsight, I'm not sure there were alternatives.

Maybe they should have voted Tory. That, of course, would have solved DougJamie's problem

Guest TPAFKATS
You make a decent argument. Context at the time was that pro brexit Labour voters could reduce SNP remainer influence at Westminster through tactical voting. 
Kezia Dugdale, leader of the Scottish branch of Labour at last election actually encouraged folk to vote tactically in individual seats for whatever party was likely to beat SNP.

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

After yesterday's Downing St. address one Tory MP(Phillip Lee) has defected to the Liberal's today and another (Justine Greening) has announced she won't be standing at the next election so can hardly be counted upon.

Others may do the same after the vote tonight if the government loses and they have voted against the party whip. 

Edited by St.Ricky

In a matter of hours I think we will have removed almost any chance of a no deal Brexit which despite your self centred wishes will be no bad thing for the majority of us plebs.

Hoping for a no deal Brexit

Interest rates will fall again and stay low for years, the pound will fall shares will soar

Win win

There will be no GE without legislation preventing no deal now. It's dead as a dodo. Time for Sturgeon to play her hand now. Massive opportunity opening up here, the proverbial open goal.

The Tory / Brexit Party coalition government after the election will see to it that it isn’t [emoji1]

Unless the Tories adopt no deal as their status quo into any manifesto Farage and his rabble will stand AGAINST the Tories thus splitting the Brexit vote. A no deal manifesto would be suicidal. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can see the opposition collectively playing with Boris and co like a cat with a mouse for a while. They are the majority now they can simply watch a government with an unprecedented minority wither and die as they are total lame ducks.

The Tory / Brexit Party will simply reverse the legislation when they win the election [emoji1]

Win win kerching! £££££££

Boris sure is doing a great job for Indy and Corbyn and Libs. Wonder if when another 20 rebel today that they will get canned. Then clears way to do a deal with the Nazi party under fuhrer Farage.... BJ and JRMogg certainly are taking them in another direction with their no surrender cry. Maybe thats why Wendy Serco is so happy..

I think politics is an absolute farce designed to divide us and distract us all from the fact that they do very little but talk a lot.... however, if we're "playing the game"...;

If you're an SNP/indy fan - now is probably when you want Sturgeon to push for indyref 2

Assuming we get indy, my main worry is that the next big debate will be "do we keep the monarchy?", which results in a split between republicans vs loyalists, can only end well... 

If you're a Labour fan who supports "remain", you want them to use this opportunity to stop Brexit by any means possible

If you're a Labour fan who supports "leave", well, you're probably not much of a Labour fan any longer and questioning where your loyalties lie

If you're a Tory, you're probably confused and don't know what to believe

They've managed to divide us good and proper :lol: 

Unless the Tories adopt no deal as their status quo into any manifesto Farage and his rabble will stand AGAINST the Tories thus splitting the Brexit vote. A no deal manifesto would be suicidal. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can see the opposition collectively playing with Boris and co like a cat with a mouse for a while. They are the majority now they can simply watch a government with an unprecedented minority wither and die as they are total lame ducks.

I was jesting in my previous posts, albeit, the benefits I outlined could well turn out to be true.

The opposition are not united in their anti Brexit stance by any stretch of the imagination.

And the entire pro Brexit vote does not necessarily want no deal.

It’s been Boris’ plan to win an election all along.

And securing a no deal Brexit or stopping Brexit isn’t going to help the SNP’s cause. It would be better for them if Boris won.

Boris sure is doing a great job for Indy and Corbyn and Libs. Wonder if when another 20 rebel today that they will get canned. Then clears way to do a deal with the Nazi party under fuhrer Farage.... BJ and JRMogg certainly are taking them in another direction with their no surrender cry. Maybe thats why Wendy Serco is so happy..

On the contrary, I’m against nationalism

Unlike you [emoji849]