Big Boris, Our Prime Minister

shull

8 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Indeed in close English votes the others can end up deciding the outcome. That doesn’t stop the fact that a majority is 326, and England has 533 MPs - over 200 more than the number needed for a majority. When the English want to, they can decide everything for us.

If votes were worked out on a veto basis like the EU has, then the decisions of Scotland and Northern Ireland would have prevented Brexit. This is why many are pro-Indy and pro-EU - in the EU it’s more difficult to force things upon you, while in the UK  England can, if willing, dictate how things are going to happen.

You only need to see the way that the SNP have been ignored throughout the whole Brexit process, and the complete ignorance of what both Norrhern Ireland and the Republic want regarding the backstop to know this is not a union of equal nations.

Irrelevant now. One of the key broken promises made to No voters was that a No vote was our only chance of remaining in the EU. That has been proven to be bullshit now, and certainly for some people who were in the Don’t Know category, it was the deciding factor to edge towards voting No.

How is the last Indy vote we had irrelevant?- Its 100% Relevant unless we are Independent and I missed it...……………. do you seriously believe that was the reason 55% said No. Think it was more to the 1000 Shite Paper, the no clue on Sterling, the Banks all saying they would leave- and making everyone feel very uncomfortable and isolated ( Just like Brexit)

I do hope Indy 2 actually has some plausible thought behind it...………...

However- one thing you say is spot on- Our voting system has been up for debate since I was a kid. The problem of having a majority unaccountable gov has plagued us for decades...…………… Along with the unelected HOL the UK is stuck in the dark ages ala Russia and China...…………

The UKIP party got 4 million votes and one seat, in 2015 the SNPs got 2 millions votes and 56 seats...……………… so this is not just aimed at the big 2

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

How is the last Indy vote we had irrelevant?- Its 100% Relevant unless we are Independent and I missed it...……………. do you seriously believe that was the reason 55% said No. Think it was more to the 1000 Shite Paper, the no clue on Sterling, the Banks all saying they would leave- and making everyone feel very uncomfortable and isolated ( Just like Brexit)

I do hope Indy 2 actually has some plausible thought behind it...………...

However- one thing you say is spot on- Our voting system has been up for debate since I was a kid. The problem of having a majority unaccountable gov has plagued us for decades...…………… Along with the unelected HOL the UK is stuck in the dark ages ala Russia and China...…………

The UKIP party got 4 million votes and one seat, in 2015 the SNPs got 2 millions votes and 56 seats...……………… so this is not just aimed at the big 2

I’m not saying the sole reason 55% voted No was down to the EU promise, but it was a factor for some, and in other cases it was the decider for those on the fence.

I definitely agree that the unelected HoL is a major issue and a financial burden as well. It’s outrageous that over 800 unelected “Lords” (including Bishops and Hereditary peers) can decide so much politically.

The MP situation is difficult to sort out. The immediate answer is to have PR, but PR could nullify the voices of more localised parties. The obvious ones would be the likes of SNP, Plaid, and all the Northern Irish parties as they would have less seats due to being hampered by being local. IIRC, the figures you mention above, the SNP would have only had 12 seats and UKIP would have had 86, thus shutting down the Scottish side of things. It would basically force us into voting Con/Lab/LD to get a bigger number of representation.

Ideally there would need to be a balance, but it’s difficult to find the right one. It’s not just the likes of SNP/Plaid/NI parties, if the likes of Yorkshire First and Mebyon Kernow were to grow and have a good election, they could also suffer from this. The right balance would be needed otherwise we’d be stuck having to vote in a three party system.

I’m not saying the sole reason 55% voted No was down to the EU promise, but it was a factor for some, and in other cases it was the decider for those on the fence.

Do you have any evidence for this?

I voted no as did all my immediate family, the vast majority of my friends and workmates.

The EU issue played no part in my vote and I don’t remember it being an issue that anyone I know who voted no raised during the referendum campaign.

I’d still vote no today and Brexit would play no part in that. I don’t know anyone who has declared that they will switch to yes as a result of Brexit.

Indeed, after the Brexit referendum we had a general election in which the SNP lost a significant share of the vote and a number of MPs whilst the Tories remarkably became the second party in Scotland.

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

er, well, yes, the fact that he had no majority is the reason he wants an election and why he threw them out

Do you want me to repeat it a third time?

Step 1. Expel 20 MP's. Step 2. Cede these 20 seats to Brexit Party ahead of an election. Step 3. This allows ex Labour voters to vote brexit. 4. Form new government as a Tory / Brexit coalition. 

7 minutes ago, theknickerwetter said:

You do know that Britain already trades with certain countries on WTO rules ? You do know that Britain is one of the top 5 wealthiest countries whearas Mauritania is a back water most people would struggle to locate on a world atlas?

Outside of Europe our biggest trading partner is USA . Johnston has just brokered a deal with them . You do know that Europe wont make a trade deal whilst we are in their union ( it is all part of making an example of us) ? You do know that WTO rules with Europe is a fall back to force them to the table ? I suspect poor old Mauritania just don't buy enough dirty German diesels for anyone to really worry about them. .

Quite simply , Europe is a suppressive regime about centralising control and government , draining the wealth of nations and taking away their sovereignty, ruled by an unelected elite. Last year Yanis Varoufakis , the Greek finance minister said that once the EU puts a deal on the table its take it or leave it , the Tusk/Barnier junta don't negotiate

You dont broker a deal with the USA you get bent over and shafted bud.

21 minutes ago, theknickerwetter said:

You do know that Britain already trades with certain countries on WTO rules ? You do know that Britain is one of the top 5 wealthiest countries whearas Mauritania is a back water most people would struggle to locate on a world atlas?

Outside of Europe our biggest trading partner is USA . Johnston has just brokered a deal with them . You do know that Europe wont make a trade deal whilst we are in their union ( it is all part of making an example of us) ? You do know that WTO rules with Europe is a fall back to force them to the table ? I suspect poor old Mauritania just don't buy enough dirty German diesels for anyone to really worry about them. .

Quite simply , Europe is a suppressive regime about centralising control and government , draining the wealth of nations and taking away their sovereignty, ruled by an unelected elite. Last year Yanis Varoufakis , the Greek finance minister said that once the EU puts a deal on the table its take it or leave it , the Tusk/Barnier junta don't negotiate

Can you tell us when this deal was brokered and give us some details?

Last year Yanis Varoufakis , the Greek finance minister said that once the EU puts a deal on the table its take it or leave it , the Tusk/Barnier junta don't negotiate

They don’t negotiate with Greece because they have no bargaining power.

The UK is one of the biggest and wealthiest trading partners in Europe. No deal will hurt Europe as well.

17 minutes ago, theknickerwetter said:

I wouldn't argue with that but the Tusk/Barnier junta are either too arrogant or too desperate to make an example of us that they wont budge until we leave . May f**ked up by going to them on bended knee and then ending up on all fours

Unusual of you to post such a stream of utter fantasy irrelevant bollocks, knickerwetter....

it’s not strong enough to distract from the continuing Boris descent to madness, derision and failure.

tough, eh?

41 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

They don’t negotiate with Greece because they have no bargaining power.

The UK is one of the biggest and wealthiest trading partners in Europe. No deal will hurt Europe as well.

It's strange to see you get things right. The German banks were heavily invested in Greece though. In Cyprus bank accounts were subject to a "haircut" making account holders, including wealthy Russians, considerably poorer. Its not a game.