Big Boris, Our Prime Minister

shull

3 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I’m going to guess that the difficulty with Scottish ex-pats is that until we are independent, on paper there is no such thing as a “Scottish citizen.” Of course myself and many other Indy supporters would disagree with that statement, but until that day comes the system has you down as a “British ex-pat”. I will only guess that the problem lies within that.

Our passports declare our place of birth.  Countless government files doubtless know where people were born.  The only problem was small-minded self-serving Nationalist politicians.  :)

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Stop moaning, you're English now. :whistle emoji38.png

No.

i am a proud Londoner.

we voted to Remain, are financially, culturally and self-sufficient in many other way and should break free of all those minorities outwith London( those we subsidise and are holding us back) so we can better serve all sections of Londoners.   :whistle:

Guest TPAFKATS
No.
i am a proud Londoner.
we voted to Remain, are financially, culturally and self-sufficient in many other way and should break free of all those minorities outwith London( those we subsidise and are holding us back) so we can better serve all sections of Londoners.   :whistle:

Cultural cockney demands a say in Scottish independence?

16 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

@antrin Proud Londener or Scot, you can't be both - London sucks in too much of the UKs resources even Ruth Dvidson said so! Why don't you sell your metropolitan pied-a-terre and move back up, then you'll have the right to vote for Independence just like the 370,000 nationals living in Scotland have (2011 Census).

A bit harsh. For a long time, ambitious Scots made the move to London to accelerate work opportunities but remain proud Scots. I decided not to make the move when I was younger. Don't regret that but don't blame people who did. 

14 hours ago, antrin said:

As a Scot who lives in the UK, works in Scotland, sounds very Paisley, is recognised as VERY PROUDLY SCOTTISH by all who meet me and will be impacted by any decision taken, I know the Indyref was not at all fair.

someone who was only a fortnight or so in Scotland, newly arrived from Afghanistan to be a student, could vote, but I and all other expats could not.

About 200,000 French people living in London and surrounds can vote in their ordinary elections, but the SNP declared it too hard to afford Scotland’s own expats the same right.

Don't use any Indy ref as a “fair” example.

Why on earth would you feel you deserved to vote on a crucial referendum for a country you voluntarily chose not to live or work in?

That referendum had nothing to do with you or any other expat.

It is right that you got no say.

That seems perfectly reasonable.

If you were that bothered, you had plenty of opportunity to come back to the country to vote.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Why on earth would you feel you deserved to vote on a crucial referendum for a country you voluntarily chose not to live or work in?

If you were that bothered, you had plenty of opportunity to come back to the country to vote.

Or buy a property in Scotland which you use as a second home. Worked for a friend of mine. 

14 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

A bit harsh. For a long time, ambitious Scots made the move to London to accelerate work opportunities but remain proud Scots. I decided not to make the move when I was younger. Don't regret that but don't blame people who did. 

To quote J.M. Barrie there are few more impressive sights in the world than a than a Scotman on the make. I worked there for a while when I was career orientated, outside of Camden/Kentish Towns & Kew Gardens it's a dismal place. Any Scot who chooses to live there permanently is not proud of their roots - merely sentimental.

Edited by Bud the Baker

13 hours ago, FTOF said:

Again, like mine, another opinion.

In my opinion, based on what I've read, Scotland certainly won't be better off if a no deal Brexit happens.

Initially, initially you may well be right but we were all willing to take a hit in 2014 had we got independence in that vote.. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Initially, initially you may well be right but we were all willing to take a hit in 2014 had we got independence in that vote.. 

In 2016, Farage was happy to do a Norway type deal. What changed [emoji848]

7 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

If only you had read what you had quoted before making yourself look foolish with that rant. emoji23.png

So, as a Scot that works in Scotland. You fully agree he had what seems a perfectly reasonable reason to wish for a vote. emoji106.png

Ach I have made bigger f**kups in my life and no doubt will do so again in the future.:lol:

24 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

In 2016, Farage was happy to do a Norway type deal. What changed emoji848.png

Sorry, l fail to see any relevant connection there between the two statements. Has Farage upset you 🤔

Hmmm, I'll try and answer your question as best as l can.

Farage , not being in a position of power in 2016 wasn't able to do a Norway deal . May said that no deal was better than a bad deal and then came back with the worst treaty in British history.  .

Could it be that , possibly,  Farage realises that Junker and co would not negotiate that kind of deal ( the Norway one)with Britain and instead thought that they would use the so called Backstop to effectively stop Britain leaving??🤔

43 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Gaining independence and a no deal Brexit or just Brexit IMO would result in very different endgames.

Sadly unfettered idiocy and gross incompetence on the part of the UK government is what will follow Brexit, if the last few years are anything to go by. Again in my opinion.

If I'm wrong, I'll put my hands up an admit it. However, I'm pretty confident that I won't be.

15 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Poor Scotland if this the level of your intellectual badinage...  :)

I am there April to October - and at other times.  I hope this helps.

12 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Or buy a property in Scotland which you use as a second home. Worked for a friend of mine. 

Aye.  I did think of using some of my loose change to buy something small.  Elderslie, perhaps?

8 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

To quote J.M. Barrie there are few more impressive sights in the world than a than a Scotman on the make. I worked there for a while when I was career orientated, outside of Camden/Kentish Towns & Kew Gardens it's a dismal place. Any Scot who chooses to live there permanently is not proud of their roots - merely sentimental.

It was a Scotsman, I think... in the quote.

JM Barrie - that would be the famous Scot who rose to fame after he moved to... er… London?  To live out his impressive life then eventually die?  He knew of what he wrote, perhaps.  Barrie could never have been as impressive had he stayed in Kirriemuir - who, in Kirriemuir, would have been worth impressing?

And as for the other two sentences... 

… you just didn't see enough of this great city or perhaps you didn't have the time or money to afford it - or had no social life?  Dismal, it isnae.

Maybe its all down to luck?  I was lucky in work when I came down (earning more than any jobs in Scotland offered) and I moved intae a hoose that had a few people in it - so already an established social life.   Unlike yourself I have never been career-orientated, so that comment disnae apply.  I can do work, make enough, chuck it and do other stuff.  There was variety... broad choice in London.  It's been a blast.  But I've even been known to chuck working in London -and go elsewhere.  Once I got paid 25% of my daily London rate to work  in Scotland,  24/7 each week as my week's wage - which I kept at for 10 months - cause I was up the hills and enjoying myself.  I ended that cos I got homesick for London.  Honestly.

It's warmer and drier than Paisley, too.  :)

Your final sentence says more about you, Bud, than anyone else.  Is any Scot who lives anywhere on earth to be tarred with the same "sentimental" broad-stroke brush?  

Edited by antrin

21 minutes ago, antrin said:

Aye.  I did think of using some of my loose change to buy something small.  Elderslie, perhaps?

JM Barrie - that would be the famous Scot who rose to fame after he moved to... er… London?  To live out his impressive life then eventually die?  He knew of what he wrote, perhaps.  Barrie could never have been as impressive had he stayed in Kirriemuir - who, in Kirriemuir, would have been worth impressing?

… you just didn't see enough of this great city or perhaps you didn't have the time or money to afford it - or had no social life?  Dismal, it isnae.

Maybe its all down to luck?  I was lucky in work when I came down (earning more than any jobs in Scotland offered) and I moved intae a hoose that had a few people in it - so already an established social life.   Unlike yourself I have never been career-orientated, so that comment disnae apply.  I can do work, make enough, chuck it and do other stuff.  There was variety... broad choice in London.  It's been a blast.  But I've even been known to chuck working in London -and go elsewhere.  Once I got paid 25% of my daily London rate to work  in Scotland,  24/7 each week as my week's wage - which I kept at for 10 months - cause I was up the hills and enjoying myself.  I ended that cos I got homesick for London.  Honestly.

Your final sentence says more about you, Bud, than anyone else.  Is any Scot who lives anywhere on earth to be tarred with the same "sentimental" broad-stroke brush?  

The times when the UK could be described as 4 equal nations is long gone.

Every post says much about the author than the audience. I'm glad your happy with your London life, you've made your choice so just get on with it, but please spare me the guff about being a proud Scotman (sic).

PS - If you could just post a copy of one off your London wageslips we could all gasp in admiration - I'm sure your dying to.

Edited by Bud the Baker

49 minutes ago, antrin said:

Elderslie would be ok

My brother in law bought himself a house at Mar Hall as his base in Scotland. Lives in the states. 

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

The times when the UK could be described as 4 equal nations is long gone.

Every post says much about the author than the audience. I'm glad your happy with your London life, you've made your choice so just get on with it, but please spare me the guff about being a proud Scotman (sic).

PS - If you could just post a copy of one off your London wageslips we could all gasp in admiration - I'm sure your dying to.

Which wage slip? The wee yin or the big yin?  It was 1973, btw... History.  You may be keen on seeing it, I don't gaf.  That comment was simply to explain how I felt - unlike you - about a career,

Now...  Since when did YOU get to decide who could be proud of what?   :lol

I guess you can't be proud of one child if you have already let folk know you are proud of the other one.  You are no' daft. But that kinda shite is beyond parody.

I currently work as a bus driver/tour guide through the UK.  If my passion for Scotland was not genuine, I'd soon be found wanting, found out and binned.

I have probably seen more of Scotland than anyone posting on the Forum, but I have yet to see it all.  I still guide people in the Scottish hills.  I love the place.

If you think my passion for London blinkers me to Scotland then, as I noted earlier, the fault and short-sightedness is yours alone.

To quote another Londoner (like JM Barrie and myself)  "The man who is tired of London is tired of life."

But I prefer this about MY Scotland:

Scotland small? Our multiform, our infinite Scotland small?
Only as a patch of hillside may be a cliché corner
To a fool who cries ‘Nothing but heather!’ where in September another
Sitting there and resting and gazing around
Sees not only the heather but blaeberries
With bright green leaves and leaves already turned scarlet,
Hiding ripe blue berries; and amongst the sage-green leaves
Of the bog-myrtle the golden flowers of the tormentil shining;
And on the small bare places, where the little Blackface sheep
Found grazing, milkworts blue as summer skies;
And down in neglected peat-hags, not worked
Within living memory, sphagnum moss in pastel shades
Of yellow, green, and pink; sundew and butterwort
Waiting with wide-open sticky leaves for their tiny winged prey;
And nodding harebells vying in their colour
With the blue butterflies that poise themselves delicately upon them;
And stunted rowans with harsh dry leaves of glorious colour.
‘Nothing but heather!’ ̶ How marvellously descriptive! And incomplete!

I don't really care if this helps.  Or not.  :)

Guest TPAFKATS

Sorry, l fail to see any relevant connection there between the two statements. Has Farage upset you [emoji848]

Hmmm, I'll try and answer your question as best as l can.

Farage , not being in a position of power in 2016 wasn't able to do a Norway deal . May said that no deal was better than a bad deal and then came back with the worst treaty in British history.  .

Could it be that , possibly,  Farage realises that Junker and co would not negotiate that kind of deal ( the Norway one)with Britain and instead thought that they would use the so called Backstop to effectively stop Britain leaving??[emoji848]

We could have left simply and easily with a Norway deal.

Given that Norway already has a Norway deal (the clue is in the name) why would EU not want UK to have one?

The goalposts on what leaving meant changed and its now no deal that's the only show in town.

The backstop is there due to UK not being regarded as trustworthy when we give our word on something. Given how the last 3vyears have went, this seems obvious.

There was never any serious indication that any post scottish independence "pain" would involve trashing the economy and having restricted access to medicines.

Guest TPAFKATS
I think it is more likely that Farage realised that, after spouting about it, the Norway model isn't what he wanted. For priveliged access to the EU market, Norway has to implement lots of EU laws like freedom of movement, workers rights etc. That isn't what the likes of Farage (or BJ) want.
Given how Johnson, mogg and others have voted against the brexit deals that have come through parliament, it seems that no deal is all they are interested in. Or rather, the money they will make from betting against sterling on a no deal outcome is all they are interested in.

Still, its only a bit of "pain" for the rest of us as these millionaires fight the "establishment".

24 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

We could have left simply and easily with a Norway deal.

Given that Norway already has a Norway deal (the clue is in the name) why would EU not want UK to have one?

The goalposts on what leaving meant changed and its now no deal that's the only show in town.

The backstop is there due to UK not being regarded as trustworthy when we give our word on something. Given how the last 3vyears have went, this seems obvious.

There was never any serious indication that any post scottish independence "pain" would involve trashing the economy and having restricted access to medicines.

You should probably ask Junker and co that one?

Dave Cameron said that , if we voted to leave Europe , it would be a clean break and we would get nothing ; no customs union , no single market . In January of 2017 , May repeated this, it would be a clean break , no quasi membership. She then went on to sign that treaty , so you are right the goal posts did move.

I really don't know which point you are trying to make here and have to wonder , l really have to wonder if you do. .

Guest TPAFKATS
You should probably ask Junker and co that one?
Dave Cameron said that , if we voted to leave Europe , it would be a clean break and we would get nothing ; no customs union , no single market . In January of 2017 , May repeated this, it would be a clean break , no quasi membership. She then went on to sign that treaty , so you are right the goal posts did move.
I really don't know which point you are trying to make here and have to wonder , l really have to wonder if you do. .
You don't know where I'm heading? Is that why you don't address any of the points I raised?

Those who led the campaign to leave told us it would be the easiest deal to make.
Over 3 years and it still hasn't happened. This ain't Junker or EU fault.

Johnson still hasn't offered anything new to EU in his negotiations since becoming PM over 2 months ago.