Big Boris, Our Prime Minister

shull

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Juncker quoted now as saying the EU will not approve any extension request so it's effectively deal or no deal on Saturday - BBC breaking news just now

I wouldn't take that as gospel, if the major leaders want to grant an extension they'll tell Juncker to make it happen-and he'll do it

this is all just hyperbole to try and help BJ, but it's half-hearted at best.

Boris, whatever you think of him, has played this well

EU like the deal, the Market likes the deal and it delivers the result from 2016

He has set up Lab in particular for a fall, remember so many Lab constituencies voted to Leave and if we don't soon then they will turn away and not many to the silly wee Libs.

SNP - still going on "its nae fair"  ticket whilst not even talking about what they would do with Indy also will be a silent minority

We are shifting right, and I can see the Tories doing what the do best- Spinning a result

But they could easily make a double bluff forcing the UK hand I.e. rejected on Saturday EU say no extension and you can be sure then that the deal would be back in parliament and approved next week to prevent no deal. Seems a no brainer for the EU to block an extension.

I wouldn't take that as gospel, if the major leaders want to grant an extension they'll tell Juncker to make it happen-and he'll do it
this is all just hyperbole to try and help BJ, but it's half-hearted at best.

You do know the pound fell v the Euro mostly on the back of the DUP announcement ?

EU like the deal, the Market likes the deal and it delivers the result from 2016
He has set up Lab in particular for a fall, remember so many Lab constituencies voted to Leave and if we don't soon then they will turn away and not many to the silly wee Libs.
SNP - still going on "its nae fair"  ticket whilst not even talking about what they would do with Indy also will be a silent minority
We are shifting right, and I can see the Tories doing what the do best- Spinning a result

19 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

You do know the pound fell v the Euro mostly on the back of the DUP announcement ?

Yes, and the rumblings are growing in NI that the DUP don't have a mandate as they are a minority party. Boris knew he was screwing them

He seems to do that quite a lot

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Juncker quoted now as saying the EU will not approve any extension request so it's effectively deal or no deal on Saturday - BBC breaking news just now

He’s being misquoted by sources trying to heap pressure on Remainers.

Juncker is not quite saying there is no need for an extension at all, nor is he is saying one can't happen:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/SPEECH_19_6126

Good to see you and good to see the Prime Minister, my friend Boris Johnson.

We have a deal. And this deal means that there is no need for any kind of prolongation.

This is a fair and balanced agreement. It is testament to our commitment to finding solutions.

It provides certainty where Brexit creates uncertainty. It protects the rights of our citizens and it protects peace and stability on the island of Ireland. There will be no border on the island of Ireland. And the Single Market will be protected.

And of course, it is for both our Parliaments to have the final say. It is not only Westminster having to approve the deal – the deal being in fact a Treaty – it is also up to the European Parliament to do the same.

So thank you, Boris for – I have to say – the excellent relations we had throughout the last weeks.

I have to say: I am happy about the deal, but I am sad about Brexit."

I hope this helps?  :)

Guest TPAFKATS
London votes - Remain - Scotland blames London...

...instead of blaming the million Scots who voted Leave.  :unsure:
London is a city. Scotland is a country with separate parliament, regulations including some tax rates and a separate legal system. To name a few
Its really not comparable and blaming around 1 million Scots is poor.

9 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

London is a city. Scotland is a country with separate parliament, regulations including some tax rates and a separate legal system. To name a few

A million Scots DID vote Leave though and that made a huge difference when looking at the 17.4 million.

I know you want to overlook that inconvenient fact but it doesn't change what happened.

And there were NI people who voted to leave and Welsh and English who voted remain all had an impact on the result, the arrogance of having a vote of this magnitude that didn't have a % of voters element has caused the turmoil we're experiencing currdntly and the strength of any bargaining position.

A million Scots DID vote Leave though and that made a huge difference when looking at the 17.4 million.
I know you want to overlook that inconvenient fact but it doesn't change what happened.
A million Scots voted to leave.
1.7 million Scots voted to remain.

That small majority is hardly a mandate to speak on behalf of a whole country... "Scotland voted..." "Against her wishes..."

Mind you...

apparently every person who voted leave was duped, lied to and didn't understand what they were voting for, whereas every person who voted to remain knew exactly what they were voting for!

Still... being in Europe will afford great financial protection to an independent Scotland.

It has worked wonders for the economy of Ireland and Greece.

What could possibly go wrong?

Sturgeon just doesn't get it- why yap on about Indy 2, when its been shown that the SNP's have no ability  to compromise...……….

First thing- Its a crap deal we will vote it down …………… no respect- I voted Remain- but now we need  a deal- we cant remain- country is far to divided

Personally I hope the deal goes thru tomorrow

However in the true tradition of British Politics it will be Party first Country second. As they know if it passes the Tories will go on the win the GE with a majority...……

Will of the people just doesn't enter into it- 45% say yes in 2014 and apparently its the will of the people now its slightly higher ?

11 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

London has a population of nearly 9m, Scotland less than 6.

london also has a mayoral system of governance, a tax regime and simply a different legal system to Scotland...  my point still stands.

All parts of the UK were subjected to the same unwanted referendum.

there is no logical reason to continually blame London for Brexit when so many Scots, IN SCOTLAND, voted leave.

14 minutes ago, antrin said:

London has a population of nearly 9m, Scotland less than 6.

london also has a mayoral system of governance, a tax regime and simply a different legal system to Scotland...  my point still stands.

All parts of the UK were subjected to the same unwanted referendum.

there is no logical reason to continually blame London for Brexit when so many Scots, IN SCOTLAND, voted leave.

Yes and more Scots voted Leave than voted on the European Elections...………. SNPs live in la la land...………. very disappointed the way the party has gone under Sturgeon, she is making a total fool of the Scots and total misrepresentation , last Election they got 38% of the vote, the same figure (38%) that voted to leave, yet they represent the nation…………… they represent themselves

Playing the blame game is irrelevant now.

Trying to tie BJs hands (the Hilary Benn Bill) has backfired spectacularly with BJ ditching the DUP (hoodathunkit :whistle) & negotiating a deal that he would never have accepted while Treeza was PM, as I said on P1 of the thread...

I know he's draping himself in the Union Flag currently but his No. 1 policy has always been "What's good for Boris?". :spud5

It's all down to numbers now & there are too many MPs from all points on the spectrum as yet undeclared for various reasons - only a fool would predict the outcome of tomorrow's vote...:whistle

Spoiler

Government to scrape it by 3 votes: 319-316

Edited by Bud the Baker

19 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Boris has indeed played it well. If the EU are happy with the deal it means it’s probably a shit deal on the UK end. Ideally for Boris this gets rejected, meaning he can say “you had the offer and said no” and then smash forward with his No Deal wish. He has certainly played this very well. He comes off well, the Tories look good to the Leave voters and job done.

As for the SNP, they are completely right to call it unfair. NI, Wales and England get what they want. Meanwhile, Scotland who voted clearly to remain, having been promised in 2014 a No vote was the only way to guarantee remaining in the EU, have been severely shafted and treated like shit, ignored at every turn. I’m glad the SNP are standing up for this, because none of the others give a damn. Without the SNP we’d be bending over to Westminster at every moment, at least the SNP try to challenge that.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

However, there are other reasons why Scots should be angry.

2014 - “The only way to stay in the EU is to vote No to independence and stay in the UK”

2016 - 62% of Scots vote to stay in the EU. It’s a clear indication of what the Scots want.

These two combined show exactly why Scotland should be angry at being dragged out of the EU. They clearly voted their intention to stay in the EU. They were also told and promised that a No vote would be the only guarantee to stay in the EU.

That No vote and that promise have not been followed through with. The clear will to stay in the EU should have been respected on top of that promise. That’s why there is anger, and that’s why this is completely unacceptable.

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

However, there are other reasons why Scots should be angry.

Scots in or out of Scotland - and people throughout the UK - share many reasons to be angry.

1. It was a referendum.  In a parliamentary democracy, they need not be binding.  MANY people simply did not vote, never believing that the dildos on parliament would pay attention to any result, let alone such a close one.

2. it was a choice of voting for swivel-eyed Venusian racist bigots OR Cameron and Osborne.  I knew people who could never vote in their support.

3.  The only reason there was a referendum - and this can’t be stressed often enough - is that IT WAS OFFERED SIMPLY TO KEEP THE TORY PARTY FROM FALLING APART.

4.  Before 2016, it was only a few nutcases who were miffed about the EU.

20 hours ago, DougJamie said:

he has done the square root of sod all to set the scene for the future economic agreement, in fact it seems that he has taken that stuff out of the withdrawal agreement so we will be wrangling for years on workers rights, standards alignments and a whole lot more.  Unless, of course, he intends to just take his withdrawal agreement as a deal in name only and just walk away from the stuff that helps make our current lives what they are.

So, it really depends on how you define "played this well".  i tend to think that selling out the UK people and taking it up the rump from Europe on Ireland just to get his deal through and please his friends is playing things badly.

our lives, prospects and future prospects for our children look considerably worse under this deal, so you knock yourself out congratulating him on this derogation of the May deal and changing your life for the worse forever.