Big Boris, Our Prime Minister

shull

6 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Interesting if slightly long take on the Brexit saga and how it led to BJ as PM from an outside perspective.

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2020/01/13/the-center-blows-itself-up-care-and-spite-in-the-brexit-election/

The clock has been ticking for Boris for the last couple of months. The only question is whether his disinterest in the job or the 1922 committee will be responsible for his ultimate demise. My money is on the latter as the Tories love a good back stabbing.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

The clock has been ticking for Boris for the last couple of months. The only question is whether his disinterest in the job or the 1922 committee will be responsible for his ultimate demise. My money is on the latter as the Tories love a good back stabbing.

I'm not sure how long BJ will want to stay after Brexit (if it goes ahead on schedule at the end of the year), events are unlikely to be easy over the next few years and as you say he's not known for his work ethic, I reckon there's a strong possibility he'll already have one eye on declaring his work done, Brexit completed, Covid defeated. 

His predecessor TM is charging £100k a speech :o and I reckon if he can find a convenient lull in events BJ would be keen on a slice of that, a lucrative book deal & a few plum directorships - kerching!

Health Secretary urges teenagers not to "kill your gran",
NI Secretary admits new Internal Market Bill will breach international law.
BJ mumbles his way through another incompetent performance at PMQs, that's the UK in 2020/

He disappeared quickly after getting a roasting from Ed Miliband and before Ian Blackford could show him up even more.

Even the Conservative European Research Group Chairman Mark Francois didn't vote for the tory bill. [emoji54]

10 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

He disappeared quickly after getting a roasting from Ed Miliband and before Ian Blackford could show him up even more.

Even the Conservative European Research Group Chairman Mark Francois didn't vote for the tory bill. emoji54.png

Rumour has it Mr Francois is currently unavailable (on bail) , so that may explain that one.

Also no longer group chairman either.

Edited by alanb

Rumour has it Mr Francois is currently unavailable (on bail) , so that may explain that one.

Also no longer group chairman either.

If that's the case then they obviously thought they didn't require his vote unlike the MP for Dover Charlie Elphicke, who was suspended up until they required him to support a motion of no confidence against Theresa May.

Wonder what ever happened to him. [emoji54]

55 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Even the Conservative European Research Group Chairman Mark Francois didn't vote for the tory bill. emoji54.png

I see BJs latest argument is that the Internal Market Bill is covered by Salisbury Convention whereby the House of Lords don't debate any matters that were included in the government's election manifesto (the "oven baked" Withdrawal Agreement) even though the IMB runs contrary to the WA - truly we are through the looking glass.

Where's your head at Boris? In response to Pretty (sic) Patel's "dob on your neighbours" comment it seems stack in 80s Oxford.

“I have never much been in favour of sneak culture myself. But I think what is reasonable for anyone to do is if they think there is a serious threat to public health as a result of their neighbour’s activities – if there is some huge kind of Animal House party taking place, as I am sure, hot tubs and so forth, and there is a serious threat to public health then it’s reasonable for the authorities to know.”

Another lawyer quits the government as they can't be seen to be involved with law breaking at any level. [emoji2960]

BBC News - Brexit: Amal Clooney quits government envoy role over law break plan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54210658

https://www.ft.com/content/6186bf1c-055b-4de6-a643-4eea763e1b94

Top UK government lawyer quits over Brexit withdrawal agreement changes

Jonathan Jones said to be ‘very unhappy’ about decision to overwrite parts of Northern Ireland protocol

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18726019.pm-accepts-resignation-scotlands-advocate-general-lord-keen/

• 3 weeks later...

The brave & bold Boris accedes to another two EU demands in the run-up to Brexit - surely stoppin' them pesky Brussels beaurosprouts from telling us what to do was one of the main reasons for leavin'....:whistle

On the major issues of contention beyond fisheries, the two sides are seeking to write-in a set of common rules on domestic subsidy control that allows two distinct arrangements to exist and interact with each other. The UK has indicated that it will have an independent regulator, a key EU request.

The British side has agreed to non-regression on EU environmental, social and labour standards.

How many more concessions will the UK have to make before Boris deliver's his "victory" over the EU? :lol:

Shed a tear for the nimbies...:bairn

Four years after Britain voted to leave the European Union Brexit can still seem abstract. But in the county known as the Garden of England, it is literally taking concrete form.

Just beyond the ancient oaks and yews that surround medieval St. Mary's Church in the village of Sevington, bulldozers, dump trucks and cement mixers swarm noisily over a field. They are chewing up land to create part of Britain’s new border with the European Union — a customs clearance depot with room for up to 2,000 trucks.

No one asked local people for permission, and even in this Brexit-backing area, the disruption is straining support for the U.K.'s rupture with the EU.

“The first anyone knew about it was when a sign went up saying the footpaths had been closed,” said Sharon Swandale, whose home in the village of Mersham used to be a 20-minute walk from Sevington. Closure of the path for construction work means it’s now an almost 4-mile (6.4-kilometer) drive.

This county, Kent, voted by 60%-40% to leave the EU in Britain’s 2016 referendum, but Swandale said visions of truck stops and customs depots were not uppermost in their minds.

“That was never part of the actual selling and the marketing for Brexit,” she said. 

“Up to now no local resident has seen the plans,” said Rick Martin, chairman of Sevington parish council, adding that locals are worried about gridlock and the effect the site will have on property prices.

Edited by Bud the Baker

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I never have been one to indulge in Schadenfreude.

I'll leave that tawdry business to others.

Arrogance & smugness have always been your defining characteristics on this site but here's some more of the current Brexit developments for you, it seem our plucky fishermen are about to find out they've been sold a sea-pig in a poke too....

The Guardian understands that the French EU affairs minister, Clément Beaune, a former adviser to the president, Emmanuel Macron, offered a possible compromise on Tuesday, telling his fellow ministers at a meeting with Barnier that there would need to be two parts to any fisheries agreement.

France is insistent that any losses for European fishermen should be made good through taking away UK rights to EU waters to ensure that neither side can claim a victory.

The idea that there was ever a chance of leaving the EU yet retain access to the EU market was always a fantasy although I accept Remain must take most of the blame for their lacklustre campaign in 2016.

Meanwhile our plucky farmers are a step closer to competition with chlorinated chicken from the US after amendments to  The Agriculture Bill were defeated on Monday night - a Welsh Farmer sobs...

I think this government has promised more to agriculture than any government in my lifetime, and actually managed to deliver less. They've promised about the food standards over and over again. But when the push comes to the shove, they won't write it down and put it into legislation.

Colin Millichap, farmer

We're due to leave the EU in 2&abit months, the time to negotiate a deal is realistically a good bit less if you accept it's all gotta be written down & scrutinized before it can be signed off in public and to get any sort of deal compromises are gonna have to be made - history tells us that since the Brexit negotiations began they've just about all come from the UK - it's plain to see that as the clock ticks down many of the promises of the Leave campaign are being abandoned and the likelihood is even more will be.

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

We're due to leave the EU in 2&abit months, the time to negotiate a deal is realistically a good bit less if you accept it's all gotta be written down & scrutinized before it can be signed off in public and to get any sort of deal compromises are gonna have to be made - history tells us that since the Brexit negotiations began they've just about all come from the UK - it's plain to see that as the clock ticks down many of the promises of the Leave campaign are being abandoned and the likelihood is even more will be.

We actually left on Jan 31, earlier this year.

The dumb clusterf**kery will continue for eons to come...

.. unless we have a REAL change of governance.

1 minute ago, antrin said:

We actually left on Jan 31, earlier this year.

The dumb clusterf**kery will continue for eons to come...

.. unless we have a REAL change of governance.

Fairy Nuff but we're still in the transition period where the old rules apply...

The current status of the Withdrawal Agreement is unclear, which means we might not even be able to get chlorinated chicken from the US, every announcement about the Trade Deal that I read about involves another concession from the UK. We'll "leave" on Dec 31 with an deal that's far short of what Leave promised during the 2016 campaign and BJ will claim it's a triumph while we spend the next 10 years in negotiations with the EU giving a tod to get a kilo.

25 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Fairy Nuff but we're still in the transition period where the old rules apply...

The current status of the Withdrawal Agreement is unclear, which means we might not even be able to get chlorinated chicken from the US, every announcement about the Trade Deal that I read about involves another concession from the UK. We'll "leave" on Dec 31 with an deal that's far short of what Leave promised during the 2016 campaign and BJ will claim it's a triumph while we spend the next 10 years in negotiations with the EU giving a tod to get a kilo.

I'm totally in agreement with your well-founded cynicism.

"Get BREXIT done"... is as undeliverable and feebleminded as Hands, Face Space or Triple Tears (sic) of lockdown.  

The nasty, uncaring manner in which the Tories dismantled Mining and Heavy Industries under Thatcher (giving not a toss for the Communities wrecked)  is being replicated today in the Hospitality, Tourism and other areas of employment. 

It's as if they're as clueless as the arses that voted for them.  :(