What Do We Need for Next Season?

If Mac has 20 plus games in him then good for me. My niggle I's he doesn't bud. History backs this up. Happy to keep Hodson as I said if the numbers work for both parties. Anyway, we stayed up, let's worry about next year in a few weeks [emoji481]

1 hour ago, doonhamer said:

Jesus f**king Christ. Do we really need this thread tonight? Can’t we be allowed a couple of days of relief/enjoyment without armchair managers chipping in with where we went wrong and “what do we need for next season”?
Some people need to learn how to live in the moment and enjoy themselves.

Who is stopping you?

Which people are not living in the moment and enjoying themselves?

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Our defence and goalkeeping is first rate. We have some depth there too. Hopefully we can tie most of them down to play here again.

We definitely need something in midfield. Someone who can close off and control the middle of the pitch. We don't have much depth here IMO and we saw that today when the Kyles went off.

We also need strengthening up front. We have good committed pros now but we need a proper striker who can get us 10 goals or more or a poacher.

I reckon we need maybe no more than 5 or 6 quality additions plus most of our current squad signing up.

If we do that I am certain we're good enough to challenge for 6th or 7th.

We'd have been there if we'd not had the clusterf**k of 4-6 months down the pan at the start of the season.

With Hamilton, Livi, Ross County in our division, I am very confident for next year.

Fans that support would be a start.

1 hour ago, scam75 said:

Goalie signed. Sorted. Keep P McGinn, Baird and Popescu at the back, although Popescu has been well ropey last few weeks. Middle of the park, keep Flynn and Magennis. S McGinn possibly for sentimental reasons or off the bench. Up top keep Mullen and possibly Cooke. Would take McAllister back if all parties agreed. Rest can go, maybe harsh and maybe Hodson can stay if he's up for it. Erhahon and MacPherson can stay to warm bench. Think MacKenzie just too old and injury prone.

Well that's enough tripe for today.

1 minute ago, delpierro said:

I care to disagree wholeheartedly.

1 minute ago, delpierro said:
2 hours ago, jaybee said:
One thing is absolutely certain though, that irrespective of how good they are, without a doubt they are better players for St Mirren than you are as a (supposed) supporter.

I care to disagree wholeheartedly.

You might want to re -think that .......... carefully!  🤣

Over the course of our last 15 games we won 6, drew 6 and lost 3. That suggests that once Oran got his own guys in and integrated into the team we were decent.

We need to replace the loanees with a wee bit of quality and some pace but the nucleus of a capable side is there.

While Mckenzie has his share of injuries, a sore one today, how many game shave we lost when he's been in the team? 
IMO well worth another season, never lets the team down, a solid defender, even in this league. 

This is gonna be the toughest decision for me. The man is an absolute warrior for this club but I just don’t think we can afford to have such an injury prone player at the club.

That being said I think he’s worked his way into Orans plans for next year.

While Mckenzie has his share of injuries, a sore one today, how many game shave we lost when he's been in the team? 

None this season. He’s not durable enough to play every week but he’s a great defender who would be an asset on and off the park next season. Definitely worth a one year deal and can’t imagine he’d be difficult to deal with.

1 minute ago, W6Saint said:

Ridiculous to suggest getting rid of MacKenzie, he's getting on a bit and he's a bit prone to injuries but if he plays 5 games a season he is worth it - proven by us being unbeaten since he returned I believe?

5 games a season ISN'T worth it.......................I'd hope to get quite a few more than that. 

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

On GaryM, I love the big man but fear he's too injury prone and will be targeted by teams like Accies next season so reluctantly a no from me,

He can just start playing with a Peter Cech style helmet, the refs don't seem interested in stopping the opposition trying to knock him out every game.

I agree we could have waited a few days before starting this debate, but hopefully Gus & Tony are already working on bringing new faces in.

The first thing we need is a settled squad going in to the friendlies and League Cup ties. Not this nonsense of using competitive games to try and work what needs to be done with the squad. Gordon Scott is making all the right noises regarding Gus MacPherson's role in ensuring this happens.

I hope next season we can play more attacking football and will be happy to take more risks, particularly with a quite weak looking Livingston surely favourites for 12th spot.

The first major problem we have is distribution from the back (other than Hladky). I honestly would be looking for replacements for everyone except Popescu. McGinn and Baird should be our back up players, not automatic first picks. If we are to compete we need defenders who are better on the ball, and full backs who can put in a more dangerous cross.

In midfield we lack creativity, I would only have Ryan Flynn down as first pick from the current squad. Magennis can hopefully improve with a run without injuries, but he is far from an automatic first pick. I'd like to see Erhanon in midfield when he does get a game, not left back ever again.

Up front Danny Mullen showed yesterday how could he could be either behind or beside a proper target man. Clearly bringing in a top quality striker or two must be our absolute priority, and hopefully we have been actively searching across Europe over the past months.

So only Hladky, Popescu, Flynn and Mullen should be down as automatic first picks for next season. We should be looking to make 7 or 8 top quality signings, and have the current guys like Paul and Stephen McGinn, Magennis and Cooke ready to fight for their spots.

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

So only Hladky, Popescu, Flynn and Mullen should be down as automatic first picks for next season. We should be looking to make 7 or 8 top quality signings, and have the current guys like Paul and Stephen McGinn, Magennis and Cooke ready to fight for their spots.

Would love that to happen but not sure if we could afford 7 or 8 quality players

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I agree we could have waited a few days before starting this debate, but hopefully Gus & Tony are already working on bringing new faces in.

The first thing we need is a settled squad going in to the friendlies and League Cup ties. Not this nonsense of using competitive games to try and work what needs to be done with the squad. Gordon Scott is making all the right noises regarding Gus MacPherson's role in ensuring this happens.

I hope next season we can play more attacking football and will be happy to take more risks, particularly with a quite weak looking Livingston surely favourites for 12th spot.

The first major problem we have is distribution from the back (other than Hladky). I honestly would be looking for replacements for everyone except Popescu. McGinn and Baird should be our back up players, not automatic first picks. If we are to compete we need defenders who are better on the ball, and full backs who can put in a more dangerous cross.

In midfield we lack creativity, I would only have Ryan Flynn down as first pick from the current squad. Magennis can hopefully improve with a run without injuries, but he is far from an automatic first pick. I'd like to see Erhanon in midfield when he does get a game, not left back ever again.

Up front Danny Mullen showed yesterday how could he could be either behind or beside a proper target man. Clearly bringing in a top quality striker or two must be our absolute priority, and hopefully we have been actively searching across Europe over the past months.

With regards to Popescu, his club are looking for a 6 figure sum. Whether that can be negotiated, or we can extend his loan into next season is the question. Would love to keep him.

1 minute ago, chalky1 said:

Would love that to happen but not sure if we could afford 7 or 8 quality players

Of the quality of Hladky and Popescu? Of course we can. There will be players leaving the club and they need to be replaced.

Just now, kevo_smfc said:

With regards to Popescu, his club are looking for a 6 figure sum. Whether that can be negotiated, or we can extend his loan into next season is the question. Would love to keep him.

Has been pointed out elsewhere on here that his (very) poor performance yesterday could be a blessing in disguise. I don't think there is going to be huge competition for his signature and Dinamo Bucharest clearly don't want him. If the 6 figures are around the 100k mark then we will surely pay up.

Guest TPAFKATS

Given that I thought 3 at the back was a mistake on Thursday due to isolating our wing backs and yesterday I thought we were f**ked with Flynn missing, I'll leave it Oran to sort out what we need. He seems to know what he's doing

2 hours ago, Doakes said:

Must keep: Hladky, Popescu, Baird, Gary Mac, Erahon, Paul McGinn, Stephen McGinn, Magennis, Flynn, Mullen

If we can keep them and add to the squad with quality, we've got the makings of a team there

I would add Musek, Anton and Hodson to that list. Less sure about McAllister but he would be good to have as well if possible.