What Do We Need for Next Season?

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

I would add Musek, Anton and Hodson to that list. Less sure about McAllister but he would be good to have as well if possible.

The players were singing "Kyle McAllister, we want you to stay" in Banky. Could be an option to sign him....

I'd probably keep Hodson tbh, wouldn't have said that earlier in the season

Thinking about it, looking at our current squad - the positions we badly need are a left back / left wing back. A goalscorer up front, and probably a defensive mid. Apart from that I'm fairly happy with our players. Hope to see some more youth players starting to break through next season. Cammy MacPherson has talent for sure

10 minutes ago, Doakes said:

The players were singing "Kyle McAllister, we want you to stay" in Banky. Could be an option to sign him....

I'd probably keep Hodson tbh, wouldn't have said that earlier in the season

Thinking about it, looking at our current squad - the positions we badly need are a left back / left wing back. A goalscorer up front, and probably a defensive mid. Apart from that I'm fairly happy with our players. Hope to see some more youth players starting to break through next season. Cammy MacPherson has talent for sure

Yes, I'd agree about giving youth a chance next season. There should be less pressure on Erhahon and MacPherson and both could easily make the step up.

By my reckoning Hladky, the McGinns, Magennis, Flynn, Baird, Mullen, Cooke, MacPherson and Erhahon are the ones under contract for next season. Happy to keep them all. We also still have Kellerman and Heaton, who I'd imagine we'll be trying to offload. And there's Greg Tansey, who I'd be surprised seeing again.

As for the rest? Would love to keep Popescu and it would be good to get McAllister and Dreyer again. I've just about been won round by Hodson but not sure if he's affordable. The rest, harsh as it may seem, can go.

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

By my reckoning Hladky, the McGinns, Magennis, Flynn, Baird, Mullen, Cooke, MacPherson and Erhahon are the ones under contract for next season. Happy to keep them all. We also still have Kellerman and Heaton, who I'd imagine we'll be trying to offload. And there's Greg Tansey, who I'd be surprised seeing again.

As for the rest? Would love to keep Popescu and it would be good to get McAllister and Dreyer again. I've just about been won round by Hodson but not sure if he's affordable. The rest, harsh as it may seem, can go.

So that is 17 players but getting rid of Kellerman, Heaton and possibly Tansey - that would be 14 - so we would need about 10 new signings...

I think Jackson is still signed too?

I’d be amazed if we can keep Hladky. Sad to say but he could easily play at a higher level. Hope I’m wrong.

Popescu has been off the boil but was tremendous in the first few months. Hodson I’d keep as a squad player if affordable. Muzek, Ferdinand, Duck, Heaton, Cooke, Kellerman and Jackson should all be away. Don’t think there’s another year in Gary Mac sadly and I’m wondering if Tansey will retire. Don’t see McAllister coming back either. None of the strikers good enough to start but wee Danny will be a decent option off the bench.

So....

Hladky/TBC

P McGinn Popescu Baird TBC

S McGinn Flynn

Magennis TBC TBC

TBC

Subs: new reserve GK, Hodson, Mullen, McPherson, Erhahon, TBC, TBC

29 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

So that is 17 players but getting rid of Kellerman, Heaton and possibly Tansey - that would be 14 - so we would need about 10 new signings...

I think Jackson is still signed too?

Jackson only signed for a year so he's out of contract. 

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

Has been pointed out elsewhere on here that his (very) poor performance yesterday could be a blessing in disguise. I don't think there is going to be huge competition for his signature and Dinamo Bucharest clearly don't want him. If the 6 figures are around the 100k mark then we will surely pay up.

I believe it is 3 times that figure. That's what was quoted when he first signed from Romania. It was in Euros, though it converts to around £300k.

8 minutes ago, lovestlegend said:

I’d be amazed if we can keep Hladky. Sad to say but he could easily play at a higher level. Hope I’m wrong.

Unless he's got a release clause in his contract, then he's our player to sell, if clubs come calling.

I'd like to think he's enjoyed himself here and formed some sort of bond with the club and fans.

14 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I believe it is 3 times that figure. That's what was quoted when he first signed from Romania. It was in Euros, though it converts to around £300k.

Figure I saw quoted was 150k.

Where did you see 300?

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Jackson only signed for a year so he's out of contract. 

Cheers - though he was on 18 months but this makes sense. I actually like him, but he offers similar to Mullen - both need to work off a main target man. Cooke looks as if it could be him, but we need an alternative and preferably one who bangs in a decent number of goals, as well as sets up a few too . . .  :cheers

16 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I think this is just media talk - no way we would have agreed to this unless we had no intent long term.

I have heard that it is a lot less . . . and that he does want to stay with us  - so we will have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, Kemp said:

I agree we could have waited a few days before starting this debate, but hopefully Gus & Tony are already working on bringing new faces in.

The first thing we need is a settled squad going in to the friendlies and League Cup ties. Not this nonsense of using competitive games to try and work what needs to be done with the squad. Gordon Scott is making all the right noises regarding Gus MacPherson's role in ensuring this happens.

I hope next season we can play more attacking football and will be happy to take more risks, particularly with a quite weak looking Livingston surely favourites for 12th spot.

The first major problem we have is distribution from the back (other than Hladky). I honestly would be looking for replacements for everyone except Popescu. McGinn and Baird should be our back up players, not automatic first picks. If we are to compete we need defenders who are better on the ball, and full backs who can put in a more dangerous cross.

In midfield we lack creativity, I would only have Ryan Flynn down as first pick from the current squad. Magennis can hopefully improve with a run without injuries, but he is far from an automatic first pick. I'd like to see Erhanon in midfield when he does get a game, not left back ever again.

Up front Danny Mullen showed yesterday how could he could be either behind or beside a proper target man. Clearly bringing in a top quality striker or two must be our absolute priority, and hopefully we have been actively searching across Europe over the past months.

So only Hladky, Popescu, Flynn and Mullen should be down as automatic first picks for next season. We should be looking to make 7 or 8 top quality signings, and have the current guys like Paul and Stephen McGinn, Magennis and Cooke ready to fight for their spots.

Next to no chance of that given the first LC games are 6 weeks on Saturday so friendlies (unless we treat the LC that way) are probably about a month away. Incidentally the LC draw is tomorrow I think, we are a top seed (south section)

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Next to no chance of that given the first LC games are 6 weeks on Saturday so friendlies (unless we treat the LC that way) are probably about a month away. Incidentally the LC draw is tomorrow I think, we are a top seed (south section)

Good post but you did not need to post it twice :P

I'm very much hoping/assuming Gus McPherson has compiled two lists of targets, one of which has now been binned.

Also bear in mind that the World Cup delayed things a lot last summer. Not that we're signing WC players, but we were scrapping around trying to get loans from clubs who didn't really know what their own squads were shaping up like. That's not excusing Stubbs, but it was a challenging market to be operating in from scratch.

This season, while our plans have been on ice for a couple extra weeks, we can't afford to miss a beat when it comes to getting our business done.

8 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I'm very much hoping/assuming Gus McPherson has compiled two lists of targets, one of which has now been binned.

Also bear in mind that the World Cup delayed things a lot last summer. Not that we're signing WC players, but we were scrapping around trying to get loans from clubs who didn't really know what their own squads were shaping up like. That's not excusing Stubbs, but it was a challenging market to be operating in from scratch.

This season, while our plans have been on ice for a couple extra weeks, we can't afford to miss a beat when it comes to getting our business done.

OF course the management team will have lists of players and we now know which budget we are playing with for next season.

There will be immediate targets and as usual some agents/players will be playing the field looking at their options. Some will be aiming higher than us, but we could be a fall back if other things don't work out for them. But some shrewd agents/players will suss out how we have been playing since February - we are on the up.

Motherwell have let 9 go and signed 4 already; Livi have signed 1 but lost their two best players ; Hamilton have let 8 go and signed 1.

Now it is time for action from us . . .   we are now all eagerly waiting to hear the news . . .as always it will come in fits and starts . . . but so long as it is as good as the January window… we will be delighted...

5 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

We need all our games to be played on a Sunday and a bigger stadium 

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

:shutup

If attendance stays at the same growth rate of 20% over the next 5 years then yes we will need a bigger stadium. It’s not rocket science :whistle

While Mckenzie has his share of injuries, a sore one today, how many game shave we lost when he's been in the team? 
IMO well worth another season, never lets the team down, a solid defender, even in this league. 
Agree. I wasn't sure if we'd ever see him back on the pitch this season given what with his injuries, but so glad we did.
I would retain him for next season.