Club Should Demand VAR in Scottish Football

I'm not one to criticise refs after games. They are only human, and it is incredibly difficult to get every call right when things are happening so fast (and nowadays you have players cheating thrown in to the mix as well).

However, over the two games there have been a series of utterly baffling head-scratching "are you f**king serious?" decisions that could have seen us relegated. Not least yesterday we had a perfectly good goal chopped off, a penalty awarded against us, a red card against us, and two red card calls for United not given - every single one of them clearly the wrong decision!

If these are the best refs the SFA can provide then its clear there is a massive problem in Scotland.

Surely we need to look at bringing in VAR and bring in expertise from overseas to run both the VAR system and the SFA's dysfunctional appeals and compliance system.

These things are always said to be "too expensive for Scottish football" but its a multi-million pound industry in this country, and every club already has multiple cameras at every game. VAR installed on a smaller budget might bring some problems but it can't be worse than the nonsense we have been subjected to this season from the 4 penalties at Ibrox to Beaton's attempt to relegate us yesterday!

I'd expect the club to be making some noise over this in the coming days, and to appeal Nazon's red card whether he is going to be staying here or not.

These things are always said to be "too expensive for Scottish football" but its a multi-million pound industry in this country, and every club already has multiple cameras at every game. VAR installed on a smaller budget might bring some problems but it can't be worse than the nonsense we have been subjected to this season from the 4 penalties at Ibrox to Beaton's attempt to relegate us yesterday!

If Pro14 Rugby can do it I'm sure Scottish football can do it, too.

I'm not one to criticise refs after games. They are only human, and it is incredibly difficult to get every call right when things are happening so fast (and nowadays you have players cheating thrown in to the mix as well).
However, over the two games there have been a series of utterly baffling head-scratching "are you f**king serious?" decisions that could have seen us relegated. Not least yesterday we had a perfectly good goal chopped off, a penalty awarded against us, a red card against us, and two red card calls for United not given - every single one of them clearly the wrong decision!
If these are the best refs the SFA can provide then its clear there is a massive problem in Scotland.
Surely we need to look at bringing in VAR and bring in expertise from overseas to run both the VAR system and the SFA's dysfunctional appeals and compliance system.
I'd expect the club to be making some noise over this in the coming days, and to appeal Nazon's red card whether he is going to be staying here or not.
Only one point I disagree with...
We did not have a perfectly good goal chalked off.

The flag was up... Rightly or wrongly... Long before the ball was in the net.

Out of all the refereeing shenanigans yesterday the big question one everyone's mind on our side behind the goals in the Family Stand was what was John Beaton trying to do to Hladky during the penalty shoot out. In the run up to most United kicks he was shouting at Hladky (but silent when their keeper was facing our penalty takers) and then went eyeball to eyeball with Vaclav after their penalty miss. Couldn't see Hladky engaging in much in the way of gamesmanship (unlike our ballboys!)

I'd be very interested to know if any of the live footage on BT Sport caught what was going on between Beaton and Hladky during the shoot out and would suggest that even more so than the dodgy United penalty, 2 non-red cards to United, red card to Nazon that the club should be kicking up hell with the SFA and SPFL over Beaton trying to intimidate our goalkeeper during a play off penalty shoot out.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

9 minutes ago, guinness said:

Var is just someone else's opinion watching on a telly. Hope we never get it. For one the penalty would definitely have been given with var as Baird's arm was away from his body.

Apparently the referee they consult on BT Sports said it wasn't a penalty.

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

or might have concluded that Baird was being pushed by Connolly when he pulled Sanfranco down.

Maybe, maybe not, same as the one they got. No guarantees either of these decisions would go a different way under VAR. That said Pawlet and Connoly would probably both have seen red.

Some of the the best thing about football is the controversy and quick flowing nature of the game. Generally things even out over a season. It’s also been shown on many occasions VAR doesn’t work it just moves the controversy and slows the game. 

Hopefully it’s nowhere near Scottish football for a long time to come. 

Did anyone else spot what i thought was a nailed on penalty for us 2nd half when I think it was Mullen was running through their box looking for a cutback and their defenders was basically cuddling him for want of better explanation for about 6 or 7 steps. From directly behind in Main stand it looked a cert.
It was like he was trying to run with a big tangerine rucksack. I though me and the fellow beside me were going to lose a lung bawling about it.

Our main side assistant was as bad as Beaton. Gave us absolutely nothing and the first foul we did get right in front of him he reacted to Beaton whistling and slowly raised his flag to pretend.
Total howler also when he just assumed a ball was going dead flagged for goalkick early and then just brazened it out when Mullen got the sole of his boot to it and stopped it well before going out.
Between them they allowed Utd players to plough through the back of our forwards time after time to the point that they probably thought  just outright taking them out the game like MacKenzie was fine for them to do. Connelly's first move every high ball was a shove into the back of his forward.

Crowd were magnificent. Pressure and edginess meant a little bit quiet and outdone by good noisy Utd support at times but gave great backing throughout and loud when it mattered to lift the side.
Well done all the young uns ...didn't realise the level of WoahhhhhhhhWoahhhh during Utd spot kicks, great stuff..

7 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Some of the the best thing about football is the controversy and quick flowing nature of the game. Generally things even out over a season. It’s also been shown on many occasions VAR doesn’t work it just moves the controversy and slows the game. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

I really don't want the game sanitised to this extent. I do want more impartial, objective scrutiny over referees' performance though.

Edited by stlucifer

7 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I think the opposite has been proven and that is why it is being adopted by all the major leagues.

I don't think if we had been relegated we would be sat here happily waiting for next seasons playoff for "things to even themselves out". The technology can help curb the power of a single referee who has lost the plot -something Scottish football could certainly benefit from.

6 hours ago, Katie Bear said:

Did anyone else spot what i thought was a nailed on penalty for us 2nd half when I think it was Mullen was running through their box looking for a cutback and their defenders was basically cuddling him for want of better explanation for about 6 or 7 steps. From directly behind in Main stand it looked a cert.
It was like he was trying to run with a big tangerine rucksack. I though me and the fellow beside me were going to lose a lung bawling about it.

Our main side assistant was as bad as Beaton. Gave us absolutely nothing and the first foul we did get right in front of him he reacted to Beaton whistling and slowly raised his flag to pretend.
Total howler also when he just assumed a ball was going dead flagged for goalkick early and then just brazened it out when Mullen got the sole of his boot to it and stopped it well before going out.
Between them they allowed Utd players to plough through the back of our forwards time after time to the point that they probably thought  just outright taking them out the game like MacKenzie was fine for them to do. Connelly's first move every high ball was a shove into the back of his forward.

Crowd were magnificent. Pressure and edginess meant a little bit quiet and outdone by good noisy Utd support at times but gave great backing throughout and loud when it mattered to lift the side.
Well done all the young uns ...didn't realise the level of WoahhhhhhhhWoahhhh during Utd spot kicks, great stuff..

Yep, there was constant shirt pulling going on from United as well that he was completely happy to let them away with.

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

I think the opposite has been proven and that is why it is being adopted by all the major leagues.

I don't think if we had been relegated we would be sat here happily waiting for next seasons playoff for "things to even themselves out". The technology can help curb the power of a single referee who has lost the plot -something Scottish football could certainly benefit from.

Don’t get me wrong of course it gets most decisions right but it’s been shown it doesn’t remove the controversy and the trade off in how much it slows the game for me is why I don’t want it. 

If we got relegated we would naturally have been looking at the decisions that cost us but we have had plenty of calls that have went our way as well. It’s just my opinion but flowing free football is what separates us from other sports, VAR removes that for not enough benefit, not even close. 

Guest TPAFKATS

I watched Stuttgart score a great free kick in their bundesliga play off last night. Left the room, came back in to discover that VAR had ruled it out for an offside (blocking view of the keeper). No one appealed for offside at the time.
Correct decision which went a long way to relegating Stuggart and promoting union Berlin.
Took a couple of minutes at most and certainly dampened the celebrations - waste of a few flares and smoke bombs.

I'd be content with refereeing Assessors going public with their opinion, criticism , or praise or otherwise, on referring performances post match

The public airing of the assessment of Beaton's performance on Sunday would have been enough to  embarrass that clown into getting his shit together or find another job.

Two days after the match, I'm still amazed at how poor his performance was , a performance that could have been interpreted as blatantly biased. He himself must look at that and cringe, well I would hope that was the case.

In his defence of bias accusations, the guy seemingly has a reputation amongst many team supporting fans for being feckin useless.................

12 hours ago, bazil85 said:

There we have it, the old "things even out over a season" argument. 

Living abroad, the only games I got to see were those on telly or a couple that I watched on SMTV, the rest were followed in real time online. I'm sure we got the rub of the green at times, but I can't recall many examples of where we benefited from clearly questionable refereeing decisions or multiple penalties that we should not have been awarded, never mind getting them in one game.

The catalogue of incompetence and incorrect decisions over the course of the play-offs alone was utterly staggering, from blatant attacking corners being given as goal kicks to red cards that never were or should have been, free kicks against us while Arab players got away with the same "offences" over and over.

We all joke about OF conspiracy, and favouring "big" teams who think they have a God given right to be in the top flight. I'm no paranoid, tin foil helmet wearer, but when you see posts like that above from the United forum it has to provoke clubs into greater discussion on the quality of officiating in Scottish football amongst those in control as the consequences of the play-offs could have been very different from where we sit now .