Club Should Demand VAR in Scottish Football

4 minutes ago, MWISAINT71 said:

What is the story with time added on because of VAR? I'm assuming it should be added on, so with that said I reckon the actual PK incident happen in the 85th minute but the 2nd PK wasn't scored until the 93rd, plus any normal added on time.  I think she stopped the game 5 minutes approximately too early IMO,  only if it is added on of course.

I think last nights referee has made the use of VAR seem very poor.

I thought she looked very robotic and incapable of keeping on top of the situation.

She certainly messed up on the additional time. 

Argentina should be more annoyed about this as they could have won the game and qualified. 

Edited by faraway saint

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

I thought she looked very robotic and incapable of keeping on top of the situation.

Argentina should be more annoyed about this as they could have won the game and qualified. 

Scotland could have also won and qualified. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I agree.  I actually never seen their 1st goal but were Scotland making a sub but she allowed them to take a free kick as the girl was running on?  I have a horrible feeling that VAR will make matters worse for smaller teams / nations like ourselves and will favour the bigger teams like they do just now but more so.

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Going by last World Cup? Going by every time I've seen it? Any big VAR decision took several minutes on average - yes I agree tonight was extreme but then the rule has to be put in place as these things do happen... even a run of the mill VAR check causes significant enough delays in games (and sometimes multiple times per match) to justify that the system is not at all efficient, so the clock needs to be stopped.

11 hours ago, faraway saint said:

:lol:

Ok, I'm out, you're obviously suffering from Bazil syndrome.

See ya..............:byebye

No point trying to debate him, he refuses to accept that people are allowed other opinions and can’t comprehend knowing the benefits but not thinking they are enough to introduce VAR.

I’m surprised he has anyone left not on ignore. 

Free flowing football.....................:lol:

VAR-only incidents 35 seconds
On-field incidents 68 seconds
All combined incidents 20 seconds
Average time lost per game 55 seconds

But here's the thing: the average time lost to VAR is 55 seconds, a small dent on game time in comparison with:

• Free-kicks - 8m 51s
  • Throw-ins - 7m 2s
  • Goal-kicks - 5m 46s
  • Corners - 3m 57s
  • Subs - 2m 57s

19 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

But here's the thing: the average time lost to VAR is 55 seconds, a small dent on game time in comparison with:

• Free-kicks - 8m 51s
  • Throw-ins - 7m 2s
  • Goal-kicks - 5m 46s
  • Corners - 3m 57s
  • Subs - 2m 57s

As people can see, still not able to grasp that people can appreciate the benefits but still don’t think it’s good for the game. Complete refusal to entertain the rights of people to have a different opinion from him. 

For me VAR only holding up some games for long periods of time is too much. I categorically know it doesn’t hold up every single game. Don’t let that get in the way of a good story though. :rolleyes:

On 5/28/2019 at 3:32 PM, bazil85 said:

The argument isn’t specifically based on that. It’s based on it slowing down the beautiful game and it not being reliable in eliminating controversy. They aren’t stand alone points it’s an accurate observation in we’ll get some calls for and some calls against. 

Bottom line is ends justifying the means. Do I think costing us the free flowing nature of football that separates us from a lot of other sports justifies some (not all) more correct decisions. Not by a long shot. 

15 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

As people can see, still not able to grasp that people can appreciate the benefits but still don’t think it’s good for the game. Complete refusal to entertain the rights of people to have a different opinion from him. 

For me VAR only holding up some games for long periods of time is too much. I categorically know it doesn’t hold up every single game. Don’t let that get in the way of a good story though. :rolleyes:

Beep beep beep...................stand back, reversing. :lol:

Pop, back in my pocket and back onto ignore. :byebye

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Under last nights VAR usage I doubt one singly Hladky pen save would have stood - all would have been retaken although do VAR look at keepers movement in pen shootouts ???

How about Joe Jordans handball v Wales, Englands WC Win, Maradona so on ...........................

Fact is 3-0 up with 16 mins to go should win- Kerr should resign

9 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

How about Joe Jordans handball v Wales, Englands WC Win, Maradona so on ...........................

Fact is 3-0 up with 16 mins to go should win- Kerr should resign

Exactly the bigger teams getting the decisions, but I do agree you shouldn't lose a 3 goal lead with 16 to go

1 hour ago, Gosport Buddie said:

https://t.co/Yv6MJDMmMM

Appears how VAR is used is up to whichever Association is in charge of a specific tournament

That's good news (VARs in Premier League will not order penalty re-take if goalkeeper comes off line next season) and FIFA would be wise :lol: to a have a rethink and follow suit after this shite.

Penalties are dead ball situations that can easily be officiated between the ref and assistant on the line. Only egregious examples should be penalised unless they want penalties and particularly penalty shoot outs to become an absolute farce.

VAR is an excellent tool for referrees to use, but they are in grave danger of spoliing that by cluelessly implementing it.

20 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Beep beep beep...................stand back, reversing. :lol:

Pop, back in my pocket and back onto ignore. :byebye

Oh she’s back & doing some more clutching. VAR isn’t for me just about slowing down the game, as I’ve said before I also feel on occasions it just moves the controversy. but giving slowing down the games was the specific point we were talking about, that’s what I commented on. 

Another good effort but yet another fail on your part. :rolleyes: 

20 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

That's good news (VARs in Premier League will not order penalty re-take if goalkeeper comes off line next season) and FIFA would be wise :lol: to a have a rethink and follow suit after this shite.

Penalties are dead ball situations that can easily be officiated between the ref and assistant on the line. Only egregious examples should be penalised unless they want penalties and particularly penalty shoot outs to become an absolute farce.

VAR is an excellent tool for referrees to use, but they are in grave danger of spoliing that by cluelessly implementing it.

This is another reason why VAR can get in the sea IMO. Where do we draw the line? Why is VAR not policing that, it’s a clear game changing call & that’s the rule, if the rule is wrong, change the rule. 

VAR is a slippery slope regarding what decisions are checked & what aren’t & can easily lead to a complete review of every single decision. Don’t believe me, look at other games that use video technology, best comparisons probably American football & rugby. every decision is scrutinised & those games pale to football because of the free flowing nature of the game. 

People can say it’ll only be ‘match changing decisions’ but this announcement proves that’s not definitely going to be the case. We’re in real danger of losing the beautiful game. 

On 6/21/2019 at 8:32 AM, bazil85 said:

VAR is a slippery slope regarding what decisions are checked & what aren’t & can easily lead to a complete review of every single decision. Don’t believe me, look at other games that use video technology, best comparisons probably American football...

Long story short; that's not correct at all about American football, where video review is strictly limited to certain situations.

I'm not that impressed with how football has started using video, but the hope is that they iron it out over time,and improve it until it's fully fit for purpose. It's only a slippery slope if they don't properly subscribe to that.

American football, e.g., is 40 years ahead of us and they've been through the full cycle that we're only at the start of. They tested it years before it was introduced, and faced all the same hostility that we're now seeing in football regarding its introduction. They had mixed results and further hostility when it was brought in, and actually ditched it for a number of years, until a high profile refereeing f**k up, that cost lots of people their jobs, was the impetus to bring it back. They've proactively knocked all the rough edges off it, helped by improved technology and it's now fully accepted. I'd hope that's where football is heading with this.

In other news, I think the scrutiny of VAR is shining a light on the ropey nature of some of the laws of the game that need addressing.

On 6/22/2019 at 6:56 PM, Dirty Sanchez said:

Long story short; that's not correct at all about American football, where video review is strictly limited to certain situations.

I'm not that impressed with how football has started using video, but the hope is that they iron it out over time,and improve it until it's fully fit for purpose. It's only a slippery slope if they don't properly subscribe to that.

American football, e.g., is 40 years ahead of us and they've been through the full cycle that we're only at the start of. They tested it years before it was introduced, and faced all the same hostility that we're now seeing in football regarding its introduction. They had mixed results and further hostility when it was brought in, and actually ditched it for a number of years, until a high profile refereeing f**k up, that cost lots of people their jobs, was the impetus to bring it back. They've proactively knocked all the rough edges off it, helped by improved technology and it's now fully accepted. I'd hope that's where football is heading with this.

In other news, I think the scrutiny of VAR is shining a light on the ropey nature of some of the laws of the game that need addressing.

I can’t really think of any circumstances in American football where a decision has just been left to a ref. Not a big fan of the sport though granted, for the reasons I’ve quoted 

i’ll be bitterly disappointed if football is in the same position American football is now at any time in the future. It would have completely taken away what stands our sport above others. But as I have said all along it’s just my opinion. I know the positives of VAR, they’re just not even close to enough for me to want to have it.  

On 6/20/2019 at 11:07 AM, faraway saint said:

• Free-kicks - 8m 51s
  • Throw-ins - 7m 2s
  • Goal-kicks - 5m 46s
  • Corners - 3m 57s
  • Subs - 2m 57s

You could also add the time lost restarting a match after a goal is scored.

All of the above drives me insane at a match (yes, a real live match).

On 6/23/2019 at 9:45 PM, bazil85 said:

I can’t really think of any circumstances in American football where a decision has just been left to a ref. Not a big fan of the sport though granted, for the reasons I’ve quoted 

i’ll be bitterly disappointed if football is in the same position American football is now at any time in the future. It would have completely taken away what stands our sport above others. But as I have said all along it’s just my opinion. I know the positives of VAR, they’re just not even close to enough for me to want to have it.  

Most of the game is left to the refs. Only scoring plays and turnovers (i.e. game changers) are automatically reviewed, and you won't see or hear about them unless something is wrong.

The only other reviews come from coaches challenges, plus booth reviews in the last 2 mins of each half. Together these averaged at fewer than one per team per game last year because it's counterproductive to challenge frivolously. Most things are either non-reviewable by rule, or not worthy of a challenge.

They didn't arrive at this overnight. I'd be bitterly disappointed if the cack handed stuff we are seeing at this World Cup was the finished article.

14 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Most of the game is left to the refs. Only scoring plays and turnovers (i.e. game changers) are automatically reviewed, and you won't see or hear about them unless something is wrong.

The only other reviews come from coaches challenges, plus booth reviews in the last 2 mins of each half. Together these averaged at fewer than one per team per game last year because it's counterproductive to challenge frivolously. Most things are either non-reviewable by rule, or not worthy of a challenge.

They didn't arrive at this overnight. I'd be bitterly disappointed if the cack handed stuff we are seeing at this World Cup was the finished article.

All that is horrific, much worse than what we see now, if that’s the way football goes it’ll be a no from me. 

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, antrin said:

VAR might just possibly, mibbe, deny sevco getting 4 fraud penalties in every match, potentially...

When the idea of Var came out I thought what a great idea. After watching English premiership highlights on a Sunday night its clear to see controversial decisions dont go away.  Would like to see a poll of English premiership fans on what they think of VAR.