St Mirren fans

Just watched the Paul McGinn interview and yet again; as indeed all the players and the the manager have; he praised the fans who continued to support the team through thick and thin.  The main reason for this post is an offhand comment he made in relation to the fans near the end of the interview at 2.37,  "'they never once turned on us; they were always behind us and that's unheard of, that's not a football fan that I know, they are normally pretty cynical". Thinking about it he is mostly right, yes we fans always support our team but even the best of us have a moan and get frustrated and are perhaps less enthusiastic in our support than previously when the team is on a bad run of form.  Now I don't know if a lot of this has to do with W7 or not (but I rather suspect it does) and in any event I thought perhaps that someone ought to just say ............. well done to everyone who supports the club and a special thanks to those in the crowd who make the noise and don't give up, well done the fans, you have my thanks. 

We were discussing this last night, I think it's more of a mentality change... rather than anything W7 are doing, as such. We've been in some right sticky situations, and really learned to stick together and back the team vocally to drive them on. It really is a case of "in this together". We're different from any other support in Scotland, in that respect.

Not usually one to boast, but I'd say our support is up there with the best in the UK at the moment. Our support really has been fantastic all season.

Hopefully those in the crowd are enjoying it as well. Would be great if we could have the stadium full as it has been lately for every game next season. The atmosphere has been tremendous lately - something I never thought I would say a few years ago when the place was like a morgue! 

10 minutes ago, Doakes said:

We were discussing this last night, I think it's more of a mentality change... rather than anything W7 are doing, as such. We've been in some right sticky situations, and really learned to stick together and back the team vocally to drive them on. It really is a case of "in this together". We're different from any other support in Scotland, in that respect.

Not usually one to boast, but I'd say our support is up there with the best in the UK at the moment. Our support really has been fantastic all season.

Find another team whose fanbase increases when things are appearing more dire on the footballing side and you'll surprise the hell out of me.

I really don't think I'm OTT in saying that our support deserves to be recognised by the footballing authorities and held up as an example.

Agree with OP here. It's not been an easy watch, often isn't with us. However the recognition of the struggle and the solid and honest support from St Mirren fans is very noticeable to me now,, these last two seasons in particular. There was a form of rebirth with JR and our club was restored to a recognisable form of itself. The fans bought in, and stuck, contributing and often in defiance of some real shit storms. 

Big credit go to initiatives and organisation of W7. I doff my cap, it is infectious and provides  a very good backbeat to home games. They have greatly improved the sterility of The Simple digital........

Our away support, ffs, what can you say, unqualified backing. 

For me St Mirren are about a unity between team and fans, this is clearly recognised by our players and management.

i think it will improve if we can see continuity and an improvement.  A few more attending home games next season , we would  surely incrementally improve.

Mon the Buds.

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

Just watched the Paul McGinn interview and yet again; as indeed all the players and the the manager have; he praised the fans who continued to support the team through thick and thin.  The main reason for this post is an offhand comment he made in relation to the fans near the end of the interview at 2.37,  "'they never once turned on us; they were always behind us and that's unheard of, that's not a football fan that I know, they are normally pretty cynical". Thinking about it he is mostly right, yes we fans always support our team but even the best of us have a moan and get frustrated and are perhaps less enthusiastic in our support than previously when the team is on a bad run of form.  Now I don't know if a lot of this has to do with W7 or not (but I rather suspect it does) and in any event I thought perhaps that someone ought to just say ............. well done to everyone who supports the club and a special thanks to those in the crowd who make the noise and don't give up, well done the fans, you have my thanks. 

This is definitely as a result of work done by the W7 boys and it has affected all other parts of the stadium.

Clearly the fans can feel they helped the team stay upbeat when things were going wrong. There is absolutely no doubt about that.

Without them I suspect we'd have been dead and buried in games where we nicked a result.

There is nothing which can replace playing or working in a positive environment for turning things around when you are in the shit.

To be fair though, I think that W7 have responded to the players and management clearly busting their arses to turn things around. It was the perfect synergy between fans and club.

I've had my problems with the W7 boys and have said in the past that I'd shut that section and disperse them but I've changed my mind as the season has worn on. I think it's pretty clear that any trouble has been a tiny minority of them and a few people prepared to cover for them but the vast majority are clearly decent people supporting the club.

BTW that flag display in the South Stand on Sunday was f**king awesome.

The noise in the away end travels up the park very loud when it is full, that is an advantage to the away team.

W7 is just about audible from where I'm sitting.

Still fantastic support from Saints fans long may it continue. W7 have played a huge part in bringing an atmosphere to the stadium.

Get a decent team on the park maybe some who have a soft spot for Saints will come back.

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The noise in the away end travels up the park very loud when it is full, that is an advantage to the away team.

W7 is just about audible from where I'm sitting.

Still fantastic support from Saints fans long may it continue. W7 have played a huge part in bringing an atmosphere to the stadium.

Get a decent team on the park maybe some who have a soft spot for Saints will come back. 

Praises high for the fans who support through thick and thin, season after season, but the reality is a better team, playing more attractive football and winning more often will attract a greater fan base. These last few months, with much improved results, the crowds have followed suit. And we started the season this way too, with the euphoria of being Champions - enough said . . .

An Hladky quality striker or two and a scoring / creative midfielder with another 8 really decent squad players and we will be marching on !!!

I don’t want to start a new thread on this subject, so I thought this was the best thread to post my thoughts on from Yesterday . It was a great day to be a saints fan, not because of the game or even the performance, the result obviously helped, however it was the way our support celebrated that really defines us from other teams, the Bull inn, bank house and other pubs really showed what it means to be a buddie. Every saints fan I met on the walk home joined me in a song. Here’s to many more years of punching above our weight. 

86F32D15-0B8F-404E-AF05-2AEB4C9EECFE.jpeg