Tom English & The Sad State of BBC Sport

An utterly bizarre twitter meltdown from Tom English as he seems to have taken huge offence to our celebrations at securing our place in next seasons Premiership.

He started on Sunday....

And then for no reason at all brought it all up again on Monday....

Got in an argument with Stewart Gilmour over it...

And then bizarrely showed himself up as being so disinterested in life outside the Old Firm (or drunk) that he replied to the official club account by calling it "Stewart", clearly thinking that Stewart Gilmour is still chairman :lol:

I think it really does highlight how little these "senior sports reporters" like English and Ewan Murray understand or care about how it is to support a team outside of the biggest five clubs which they dedicate 99.9% of their reporting to.

I actually used to quite like the guy but talking away to this imaginary "Stewart" on our official club twitter account when SG hasn't been involved in the club for years just shows how disinterested, out of touch and self-important these guys become. Maybe he is trying to rebrand himself as the Piers Morgan of Scottish football in an attempt to remain relevant. Cringeworthy behaviour whatever is going on.

It took our own young Kyle Gunn to show him there remain some reporters out there with perspective and maturity. Well done Kyle...

Div also got his point across, albeit with a little less maturity :lol:

4 hours ago, Kemp said:

An utterly bizarre twitter meltdown from Tom English as he seems to have taken huge offence to our celebrations at securing our place in next seasons Premiership.

He started on Sunday....

And then for no reason at all brought it all up again on Monday....

Got in an argument with Stewart Gilmour over it...

And then bizarrely showed himself up as being so disinterested in life outside the Old Firm (or drunk) that he replied to the official club account by calling it "Stewart", clearly thinking that Stewart Gilmour is still chairman :lol:

I think it really does highlight how little these "senior sports reporters" like English and Ewan Murray understand or care about how it is to support a team outside of the biggest five clubs which they dedicate 99.9% of their reporting to.

I actually used to quite like the guy but talking away to this imaginary "Stewart" on our official club twitter account when SG hasn't been involved in the club for years just shows how disinterested, out of touch and self-important these guys become. Maybe he is trying to rebrand himself as the Piers Morgan of Scottish football in an attempt to remain relevant. Cringeworthy behaviour whatever is going on.

It took our own young Kyle Gunn to show him there remain some reporters out there with perspective and maturity. Well done Kyle...

Div also got his point across, albeit with a little less maturity :lol:

One of Tom's replies said we had been "shite all season" and shouldn't be celebrating beating DUFC on penalties. Huge disrespect for the job Oran Kearney did and for the players signed in January, but I doubt he has really followed results or performances that closely. Michael Stewart is great. A few weeks ago when he was speaking about our good form since the split I tweeted him our results since losing to DUFC in the cup in February and since then he has spoken about our momentum and only having a few defeats in 2 or 3 months.

Bevvied! Surely that’s his only excuse for getting into or initiating this.   As title highlights though, BBC Scotland sport team and coverage, well imo  generally they are a cringeworthy wee myopic bunch.

Only two worth listening  to are Cosgeove and Cowan, and that’s acknowledged as self deprecative bawz

I listened as i drove to the game and one of the Radio Scotland pundits was wittering on before the game about how Saints players and fans shouldn't celebrate if they win

I'm afraid it wasn't just the ref that felt that Utd should just have been walked through, there really is some ill-will from some journos against us

I've always celebrated survival at saints, be it in the post alex smith season, the gus seasons and the danny lennon era.  It is our prerogative to decide what success is and lord knows the media are always telling us that survival should be our target.

I don't agree that our play off system allows second bottom to stay up if they win, I believe a play-off is for lower division sides only as a way of encouraging endeavour and investment, but that won't ever stop me celebrating survival when the stakes are so high

Edited by beyond our ken

18 minutes ago, doonhamer said:

Another opportunity for me to say “ Thank f**k I’m not on Twitter”.
If Twitter is populated by attention seeking knobs like English I’m happy to steer clear.

Yep. Life's too short for it.

I just don't see the attraction of Twitter TBH.

In 10 years time we're going to look back on this obsession with it and ask ourselves what the f**k we were thinking.

Edited by oaksoft

In 10 years time we're going to look back on this obsession with it and ask ourselves what the f**k we were thinking.
How shall we ask ourselves though?
Text? Email? Alexa reminder?
Twatter? [emoji23]

7 hours ago, doonhamer said:

Another opportunity for me to say “ Thank f**k I’m not on Twitter”.
If Twitter is populated by attention seeking knobs like English I’m happy to steer clear.

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

All well and good but your membership of this website rather blows a hole in that theory :lol:

Twitter is just a means of communication like any other. There's good stuff & bad stuff on there, just as printing presses have been putting out a mix of quality & shite for hundreds of years.

18 hours ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Bevvied! Surely that’s his only excuse for getting into or initiating this.   As title highlights though, BBC Scotland sport team and coverage, well imo  generally they are a cringeworthy wee myopic bunch.

Only two worth listening  to are Cosgeove and Cowan, and that’s acknowledged as self deprecative bawz

Well I certainly hope the poor man hasn't developed a drinking problem that is going to cost him his "senior" sports reporter title.

I'm genuinely puzzled by this outburst by Tom English. I'm not on Twitter or other social media outlets, so I get all my information from the traditional media, newspapers and radio. I listen regularly to this journalist on the BBC and have always found him to be measured and sensible in his assessments of what is, after all, a pretty crazy industry at times. I'm disappointed to hear/read about his reaction to St. Mirren's success at the weekend, for that is undoubtedly what it was. As a reputable journalist, he only had to check what the difference was in money terms of staying in the Premiership rather than dropping to the Championship to see what that would mean for players' salaries and for the jobs of other people at the club.  

The week before, most of the Queen of the South players appeared less than enthusiastic to celebrate when they defeated Raith Rovers to stay in the Championship. That was probably because QoS had been in the mix for playoffs at the top of the division earlier in the season, and the players probably felt that they had underperformed and should never have been in the playoffs in the first place. Most pundits agreed with the players' reaction and said it was quite understandable.

Fair enough, but our position was very different. We had been fighting relegation for pretty much all of the season. Sunday's result was the culmination of a huge effort from a manager (and some players) who had been parachuted into the club part-way through the season. After a sticky start in February, the team picked up momentum and produced a fine end to the season.

I'm disappointed that a Senior Football Reporter for the national broadcaster shows so little understanding of the situation of a club in the lower regions of the country's top football division.

1 hour ago, pondsman said:

I'm genuinely puzzled by this outburst by Tom English. I'm not on Twitter or other social media outlets, so I get all my information from the traditional media, newspapers and radio. I listen regularly to this journalist on the BBC and have always found him to be measured and sensible in his assessments of what is, after all, a pretty crazy industry at times. I'm disappointed to hear/read about his reaction to St. Mirren's success at the weekend, for that is undoubtedly what it was. As a reputable journalist, he only had to check what the difference was in money terms of staying in the Premiership rather than dropping to the Championship to see what that would mean for players' salaries and for the jobs of other people at the club.  

The week before, most of the Queen of the South players appeared less than enthusiastic to celebrate when they defeated Raith Rovers to stay in the Championship. That was probably because QoS had been in the mix for playoffs at the top of the division earlier in the season, and the players probably felt that they had underperformed and should never have been in the playoffs in the first place. Most pundits agreed with the players' reaction and said it was quite understandable.

Fair enough, but our position was very different. We had been fighting relegation for pretty much all of the season. Sunday's result was the culmination of a huge effort from a manager (and some players) who had been parachuted into the club part-way through the season. After a sticky start in February, the team picked up momentum and produced a fine end to the season.

I'm disappointed that a Senior Football Reporter for the national broadcaster shows so little understanding of the situation of a club in the lower regions of the country's top football division.

Not sure why you are puzzled by this. HE is either incompetent or doing the shull/LPM thing to get some attention. 

Do most other teams who survive play-offs not celebrate winning? Of course they do.

This was huge for us and the loss to Utd is equally very large. They were totally miserable at the end and we were rightly the polar opposite... :cheers

Edited by Sweeper07
typo

1 hour ago, pondsman said:

This sums it right up.

In the position of QOTS, this was nothing to celebrate. They should never have found themselves down there. They picked up just 8 points in their final 15 games, so to finish in 9th and survive on GD was appalling. Their playoff success was probably more relief at avoiding the massive f**k up they had landed themselves in. QOTS are an established Championship club too, so “survival” was never supposed to be the aim.

Compare that to us. Alan Stubbs decimated us, even Paul McGinn described it as a League One squad. And he wasn’t wrong, that Stubbs side would have struggled in the Championship. It says a lot that Kpekawa is now at Billericay, King has no club and Heaton was loaned to Kidderminster having been signed for a transfer fee. Of all his signings, only Cooke and Hodson remained. Our survival was reliant on Oran Kearney and Gus McPherson pulling off some big signings - and that includes the early signings Oran made with Anton, Jackson, Hammill and even Lyness. Many of us already thought we were down and out. So yes, based on the crap we went through, alongside being our first season back up, we will celebrate this and milk it for as long as we can.

3 hours ago, pondsman said:

Agree with your assessment of Tom. I also think he's a pretty reasonable guy in his views although he can be a bit too pessimistic sometimes for my liking.

This attack on our players seems to suggest he had no idea that we had replaced an entire squad in January, had to gel the players in and even had to overcome the fact that many of them couldn't speak English all that well. He doesn't seem to have appreciated what happened in the last few months to warrant that celebration. Comments about how the players have been shite "all season" were just so wide of the mark that it doesn't bear worrying about.

He's entitled to his opinion but it's ill-informed in this case.

The guy thought Stewart Gilmour was still our chairman, that's how out of touch he is. 

That said, he's not the only journalist spouting this kinda shite. The Scottish media really do talk down our game at any opportunity

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:
3 hours ago, pondsman said:

Agree with your assessment of Tom. I also think he's a pretty reasonable guy in his views although he can be a bit too pessimistic sometimes for my liking.

This attack on our players seems to suggest he had no idea that we had replaced an entire squad in January, had to gel the players in and even had to overcome the fact that many of them couldn't speak English all that well. He doesn't seem to have appreciated what happened in the last few months to warrant that celebration. Comments about how the players have been shite "all season" were just so wide of the mark that it doesn't bear worrying about.

He's entitled to his opinion but it's ill-informed in this case.

He is certainly entitled to his opinion but we, the St Mirren fans are equally entitled to slaughter him for comments that clearly show his lack of professionalism and I personally am a great believer in; if you bite me or mine, then I bite back.   😎

This attack on our players seems to suggest he had no idea that we had replaced an entire squad in January

No wonder he had no idea!

Only 2 outfield players in the starting sides that won the plays offs arrived in January and one of them was Kyle McAllister!

I don’t think that the McGinns, Baird, Hudson, Mackenzie, Flynn, Magennis, Cooke, McAllister and Mullen would have had too much difficulty speaking English either!

:1eye