Change The Playoffs?

Lord Pityme

5 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

No need for playoffs.

We should change the league structure to a 10/20/12 setup. Top league play each other 4 times, middle league 2 times, bottom league have the same split we do now in the top league.

Then, and here's the really ingenious part, 10 up, 10 down between each league with the last 2 in the bottom league being replaced by the highland and lowland champions. That would definitely shake up the leagues as no team would be in the same league two seasons in a row. It could be shaken up even more by having it be the bottom 10 in the middle league who get promoted and the top 10 who get relegated. You know it makes sense, let's do it FFS.

:whistle

You were making more sense on the Danny Baker thread. 😁

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Anyone's opinion can be valid, if they actually have one to state! The roasters aren't interested in meaningful debate, they cream their pants at a typo, or if you state championship teams play four more games at the end of the season, they then feel the absolute need to state the bleedin obvious that their season is two league games less, but decide to omit the fact that they actually play in an additional competition to Premiership teams.

you see they want you to think their smart, but fail miserably in the process.

If your main argument for changing the playoffs is based on something that isn't true do you not think it should be picked up on?

If you are only talking about 4 games, being off by 2  is significant. 

The only change I'd make is removing the quarter final tie and not allowing the 4th placed team in.

I would prefer 2 home sell outs for the final over going through to Edinburgh or something for a one off game any day. Depending on who is in the final it could get a bit tin pot. Imagine we played ICT. It would be at Perth and you'd be lucky if we got 6k there. 

1 minute ago, LargsBud said:

If your main argument for changing the playoffs is based on something that isn't true do you not think it should be picked up on?

If you are only talking about 4 games, being off by 2  is significant. 

No, thats wrong the lower leage clubs all play a minimum of one Irn Bru cup tie, so its at the most a one game difference. If you think its vitally important to pick up on one game maximum then crack on bud.

7 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Anyone's opinion can be valid, if they actually have one to state! The roasters aren't interested in meaningful debate, they cream their pants at a typo,

Oi!

I've been able to make some income from noting typos and pointing them oot.  'Creaming' is not normally the reaction, but realising there is a remuneration for catching them before too late gives a quiet satisfaction.

(Though I do recall being moderately excited when I spotted a 5th' L' at an inappropriate point in Llanfairpwyllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogoch.)

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You were making more sense on the Danny Baker thread. 😁

Is that the thread about the loaves?

And if the 2nd bottom Premiership team had reached both cup finals with, in the Scottish Cup, a replay in every round prior to the semi and the Championship club had got knocked out in the first round of their 3 cups, then the Premiership team would have played more games.  They may even have been involved in Europe, adding more games, albeit with the loss of League Cup fixtures.  As soon as you try to count in cup games, you are just being silly.  The subject at hand is the league, you should know, you are the OP.

Ahh there's your overstatement. It's only the first tie that's a certainty. Beyond that is your grannies, aunties bawz area.

The difference in competitive games is a maximum of one. Happy for The roasters to claim that's not a fact if it helps them reach climax though.

4 hours ago, antrin said:

Is that the thread about the loaves?

It's the thread where Sweeper07 is making claims that children get things like cancer because humans don't worship his god enough. He might have then blamed Adam and Eve. He thinks cancer in children is a reasonable punishment for someone stealing an apple at the dawn of humanity but also thinks that a paedophile wearing a dog collar can simply repent.

He is currently receiving some heat for that statement and TBH we are not sure if he is on a sick trolling exercise or whether he believes this stuff.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Nope, the Danny Baker thread is the one where I've had my posts compared to things said by Tommy Robinson, had it insinuated that I'm a racist, blatantly called a racist twat, been told that humans are not animals, that I will burn for eternity and that scrumping causes childhood cancer in your descendants.

The Oran thread is the one about loaves. emoji14.png

Hard to disagree TBH. 

PS WTF is scrumping? :blink:

PS WTF is scrumping?                OK. let's see; did you ever raid gardens for strawberries? or sneak around with a suger poke searching for Rhubarb, you did?  good, well just substitute either of those for apples and that's scrumping!  😎

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It's the thread where Sweeper07 is making claims that....

9 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Nope, the Danny Baker thread is the one where I've had my posts compared to things said by Tommy Robinson, had it insinuated that I'm a racist, blatantly called a racist twat, been told that humans are not animals, that I will burn for eternity and that scrumping causes childhood cancer in your descendants.

The Oran thread is the one about loaves. emoji14.png

FFS!

whoosh.

baker, loaves....?

One is scattering one’s pearls on rocky forums, some days!  😜

1 minute ago, beyond our ken said:

It's high time we went to a system of a top league of 16 teams and no play offs with the rest of the SPFL splitting into two leagues.  retain the split after all trams have played home and away.  37 games is plenty.  I'd even be happy for a 6/10 split to set up a better final few weeks.

How could you get it so wrong?  :o

You were rattling around (same as me) in the days when the trams were abandoned and the rails ripped up.

5 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

It's high time we went to a system of a top league of 16 teams and no play offs with the rest of the SPFL splitting into two leagues.  retain the split after all trams have played home and away.  37 games is plenty.  I'd even be happy for a 6/10 split to set up a better final few weeks.

The overall idea (that we would be likely to be "safer") has some appeal but the present position has drama.

The idea of 14 Teams with a Split and Play-Offs would bring two more clubs into the top league and retain the drama.

Guest TPAFKATS
Definitely need bigger divisions within the league set up. Play each other twice but chairmen and TV companies won't agree.
Not sure about trams though...

16 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Is this Mixed Metaphor Month?. :P

No.

THIS is a Moth metaphor:

“A man found a cocoon of a moth.  He took it home so that he could watch the moth come out of the cocoon.” 

“On the day a small opening appeared, he sat and watched the moth for several hours as the moth struggled to force its body through that little hole. Then it seemed to stop making any progress.  It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could and it could go no farther.  It just seemed to be stuck.” 

“Then the man, in his kindness, decided to help the moth.  So he took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon.  The moth then emerged easily, but it had a swollen body and small-shriveled wings.  The man continued to watch the moth because he expected that, at any moment, the wings would enlarge and expand to be able to support the body, which would contract in time. Neither happened! In fact, the little moth spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It never was able to fly.”

“It is only through the efforts to free our selves from our own personal cocoons that we can gain the strength to fly.  By continuing to do the small and simple things one day at a time you will gain the strength to fly.  No matter where you are at in the process just keep facing forward with an optimistic attitude.  Things are going to work out and you are going to make it!”

11 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

OK, so what you are saying is that, before a ball is kicked in a season, you have no idea whether or not the finalist from the Championship will have played more games that season than second bottom in the Premiership. You could just have led with that and saved us all some trouble. emoji14.png

No, the finalist  from the championship, if placed third or fourth will have played at least three scheduled games more than second bottom of the premiership. Normally a roaster would have been along to correct you on that, but then that would only have made all their other pish stink more!

Guest TPAFKATS
No, the finalist  from the championship, if placed third or fourth will have played at least three scheduled games more than second bottom of the premiership. Normally a roaster would have been along to correct you on that, but then that would only have made all their other pish stink more!
IF

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, Lord Pityme said:

Even before we successfully navigated them this season i have always believed that its wrong for the team finishing second bottom of the Prem to be involved in the playoffs. It should imo be two up, two down. With championship winner automatically promoted and 2,3,4, and 5th involved in a home and away semi final, and a one game final at Hampden or if it makes more sense an alternative neutral venue.

that gives half the championship a shout at promotion, and half the premiership a big incentive to avoid two trap door slots.

thoughts now we are out of the smelly stuff?

Disagree

Now move along, move along indeed

10 hours ago, jaybee said:

PS WTF is scrumping?                OK. let's see; did you ever raid gardens for strawberries? or sneak around with a suger poke searching for Rhubarb, you did?  good, well just substitute either of those for apples and that's scrumping!  😎

A spoolie known in my day

3 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Just because you don't understand the point, doesn't mean that there isn't one.

Playing how many more games is acceptable for it to be "fair"?  Utd players got to rest on the Saturday before the first leg, whereas ours had to play a game - is that "fair"?

Most competitions do not take into account how many games each team has played.  For example, if the Scottish Champions were to reach the Champions League final and were facing the Bundesliga Champions then the Scottish Champions would have played more games than the Bundesliga Champions to get there as they would have entered in the qualifying stages while the Germans would have entered at the group stages.  There is qualifying for the Scottish Cup too, and the same sort of situation could apply.

If you want to limit it to league games played then your point of the Challenge Cup is moot and the "fairness" is easily sorted by only having the second and third place teams in the Championship play off to face the second bottom of the Premiership.  But, talking of "fairness", is it "fair" that the third place team even gets a shot at it, after all, they haven't been good enough over the season to finish in the top two.  That would just leave second in the Championship facing second bottom in the Premiership - but then the Championship team would have played less games and it wouldn't be "fair".

So, the question really is, what exactly do you mean by "fair"?

Answer, rewarding achievement, not rewarding being the second least piss poor team in the league.

ffs there was an award ceremony on Sunday! Yeah great if its between clubs in the same league with the same level of resources etc, go celebrate that success. We got an award for beating the team who Ayr gubbed 5-0, on penalties after two games and extra time.