Change The Playoffs?

Lord Pityme

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

What you mean like you. Ffs at least have a semblance of an arguement, or counter point. Unless you wanna join the roasting fraternity, of sweeper, bazil et al?

Your a Riot - in the RAOASTERS LEAGUE you qualify for Europe with most of your posts . . .   :turtle   :hammer    :boxing

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Is your whole point that it is just as well that we didn't have to play Ayr?

So you think that Utd should be rewarded for being the second best team in a piss poor league?

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Would that not be second place?  I don't think they get rewarded.

We finished as the second least good team in the league.

Reward teams trying to get promoted, not those who have been poor, and lost loads of games, with a poor goal difference. Is that too difficult to grasp?

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Reward teams trying to get promoted, not those who have been poor, and lost loads of games, with a poor goal difference. Is that too difficult to grasp?

All teams just behind DUFC were also trying to get promoted.

On the occasions when they were 'poor' they lost games - like dufc did on Sunday.

The ones at mid-table and below lost loads of games.

I doubt any of them think they should have been rewarded for failing to prevail in a league system that they all happily subscribed to before the season started.

dufc lost games, too - but in the end they were rewarded with a shot of promotion as they were in a competition whose rules were decided before the season started.

Accies lost a lot of games, too.  They had an utterly shite GD - but like all the other teams they happily fell into line with the rules of the league before it started.

St Mirren achieved the goal of winning the play-offs after, in the final game of a long season, they had ONE point less than Accies- but them's the rules.

If you subscribe to a system, game or challenge, then you can only play within the rules as they were originally signed up for.

There is nothing more to be grasped than that simple, fundamental concept.

And, lpm…. if t's the 'reward' aspect that is really tickling yer tits, then calm doon.

I saw it more, as a typical PR a way of focusing media attention on the competition as a whole and its sponsors. 

There has been a lot of attention paid to that play-off and the pens than would be expected for a wee obscure diddy league in a country on the outer rim of Europe.

We are all well aware that there were no rewards other than the satisfaction of a tough job, well done.  Saints magnificently did all that was asked of them.

Also... footballers and the ancillary staff at the club can look forward to further employment, where they might not have done.

Edited by antrin

So nobody in the top league can be rewarded as none of them are trying to get promoted?

What if the team that finishes top of the championship has been poor, lost loads of games and has a poor goal difference?  It's possible, if highly unlikely.  Should they not be promoted?

They just won the championship, are you saying they shouldnt be promoted? You do make I laugh, no very much mind.

i can see you cant bring yourself to have an actual opinion on this now. 

16 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

They just won the championship, are you saying they shouldnt be promoted? You do make I laugh, no very much mind.

i can see you cant bring yourself to have an actual opinion on this now. 

Now that makes sense - NOT   :boxing

You're the one who said that if a team has been shite, lost lots of games and has a shite goal difference that they shouldn't be rewarded. That could, in theory, apply to the winners of the Championship who, again in theory, could be shite but very lucky in half of their games and just shite in the other half, could lose the most games and have the worst goal difference in the league. I admit that it isn't very likely, but it is possible.

I was just presenting an example of what you said and asking your opinion. I wasn't making any suggestions at all, just attempting to get you to think of what you said and see the flaws for yourself.

I have got an opinion (like i have on most things, haven't you noticed emoji4.png ) but it isn't the same as yours.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda, but didnae! Aye teams that win professional leagues are really poor at winning, well.. professional leagues arf, arf, arf.

3 hours ago, antrin said:

All teams just behind DUFC were also trying to get promoted.

On the occasions when they were 'poor' they lost games - like dufc did on Sunday.

The ones at mid-table and below lost loads of games.

I doubt any of them think they should have been rewarded for failing to prevail in a league system that they all happily subscribed to before the season started.

dufc lost games, too - but in the end they were rewarded with a shot of promotion as they were in a competition whose rules were decided before the season started.

Accies lost a lot of games, too.  They had an utterly shite GD - but like all the other teams they happily fell into line with the rules of the league before it started.

St Mirren achieved the goal of winning the play-offs after, in the final game of a long season, they had ONE point less than Accies- but them's the rules.

If you subscribe to a system, game or challenge, then you can only play within the rules as they were originally signed up for.

There is nothing more to be grasped than that simple, fundamental concept.

Doh!

its a thread about, 'should it be changed' we all know what the current set up is.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Doh!

its a thread about, 'should it be changed' we all know what the current set up is.

The thrust of my post was, as you are well aware:

It works perfectly well.

All teams know the rules going into it.

Punters enjoy the end of season drama.

You are just trying too find problems in Paradise (no pun intended)

Though now I think on it - by bitching about the diddy basement teams and their rules/problems/disparities - you are ignoring the REAL problem with Scottish fitba - and its unavoidable "is it a fair competition" question.

Edited by antrin

12 hours ago, antrin said:

The thrust of my post was, as you are well aware:

It works perfectly well.

All teams know the rules going into it.

Punters enjoy the end of season drama.

You are just trying too find problems in Paradise (no pun intended)

Though now I think on it - by bitching about the diddy basement teams and their rules/problems/disparities - you are ignoring the REAL problem with Scottish fitba - and its unavoidable "is it a fair competition" question.

It works perfectly well if you finish second bottom of the premiership. Not so if you are involved in four play off games just to meet the team slightly less crap than the automatic relegation club.

i think the Scottish premiership must be one, if not the only professional league in europe to favour poorly performing teams over achieving teams?

eventually down south where the prize for promotion to the epl can top £170m they realised that its actually better for the bottom three to be relegated, and three come up because it gives relegated clubs a better chance of rebuilding and winning promotion.

most clubs dropping out our league dont bounce back next season.

Another aspect of those extra play-off games for the lucky teams is the extra money generated from mug fans lining up to watch them.   You could even argue that St Mirren were penalised, despite 'selling out' the Noo Grun for the first time - only ONE play-off opponent!

DUFC HAD SO MANY MORE WITH BIGGER CROWDS.  UNFAIR!!!

It's swings, roundabouts and - for the teams dropping out our league - there's also parachutes ( payments).

The division of the overall income pot is also fairer down south (as you're using that for comparison).

Saints (and other diddy teams) do not benefit from the Bigot pound.

Of course, Scottish Fitba isnae fair.  Of course, it can never be a genuine competition to win the league with the £ distortion that prevails. Cups and survival is the best the Buddies can hope for.   Same with Hearts, Killie, Aiberdeen and all other aspirants.

I admire your indefatigability, LPM, but it would be better deployed in addressing the central moral  and financial flaw in Scottish football.

On 5/29/2019 at 11:10 PM, oaksoft said:

It's the thread where Sweeper07 is making claims that children get things like cancer because humans don't worship his god enough. He might have then blamed Adam and Eve. He thinks cancer in children is a reasonable punishment for someone stealing an apple at the dawn of humanity but also thinks that a paedophile wearing a dog collar can simply repent.

He is currently receiving some heat for that statement and TBH we are not sure if he is on a sick trolling exercise or whether he believes this stuff.

Did that prick really say that??

7 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:
7 hours ago, DougJamie said:
We have just had 2 sellout games 19000 people. BT and BBC spotlights and my mate in Oz said it was well discussed and followed down there. First thing the SPFL have got right in years. Wonder how much extra income we made ?

£3.27 - before tax.

As Sevco say. Whats Tax

27 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Current rules state that 50% of the cash generated through gate receipts goes to the SPFL, with every club not involved in the games getting a share. It was designed to reduce the financial impact on the 42 clubs by paying parachute payments for a possible two clubs being relegated from the Premiership. 

image.gif

That's the one. Couldnt remember who got it but I knew it was distributed somewhere.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 10:20 AM, Lord Pityme said:

It works perfectly well if you finish second bottom of the premiership. Not so if you are involved in four play off games just to meet the team slightly less crap than the automatic relegation club.

i think the Scottish premiership must be one, if not the only professional league in europe to favour poorly performing teams over achieving teams?

eventually down south where the prize for promotion to the epl can top £170m they realised that its actually better for the bottom three to be relegated, and three come up because it gives relegated clubs a better chance of rebuilding and winning promotion.

most clubs dropping out our league dont bounce back next season.

Seriously LPM. What are you whittering on about? The team that finished second bottom of the top league does so playing against far better opposition than the team finishing second top of the lower division.

You are trying to compare oranges and crab apples.

Get real.