Summer Signing Targets

Flareybob

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

And here's me thinking the dinosaurs died out a while ago. 🤣

This was your reply to a post of mine: a post that was utterly devoid of dinosaurs.

You appear to be the one on sauce, which as I have now demonstrated is equally good for the gander.

Post out of context twaddle...  expect similar in response.    :P

There has been some back and forth on Academy graduates and foreign pro's

The truth is we need to utilise ALL things which can be advantageous for us within our business plan....

More youth talent into the first team and potentially sell on fees too - YES

More signings from outside which are successful, and where we might get sell on fees too - YES

12 minutes ago, antrin said:

This was your reply to a post of mine: a post that was utterly devoid of dinosaurs.

You appear to be the one on sauce, which as I have now demonstrated is equally good for the gander.

Post out of context twaddle...  expect similar in response.    :P

OK for the avoidance of all doubt, I am calling you a dinosaur in relation to your views on foreign workers.

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

OK for the avoidance of all doubt, I am calling you a dinosaur in relation to your views on foreign workers.

As you have no idea what my views on foreign workers may be, your deployment of the word “dinosaur” is based upon some fantasy version of me and is thus spurious or irrelevant.

40 minutes ago, antrin said:

As you have no idea what my views on foreign workers may be, your deployment of the word “dinosaur” is based upon some fantasy version of me and is thus spurious or irrelevant.

You are talking so much pish on this thread you have me agreeing with f**king Oaksoft over you!

Our eastern european brothers are very welcome to come fight the good fight! I'm sure we will keep producing good young players at the academy funded by our stay in the Premier League. Less of the jingoism please, and certainly less of the harking back to the good ol days of a Labour government and shifts at the mill / down the pit!

1 hour ago, antrin said:

You made a stupid comment about cheap foreign players a week after several of them bust their balls for this club and kept us in the Premiership.

I have no idea what provoked ou to then indulge in ridiculous wittering about mills and your hardcore working class attributes as though none of us came from that background ourselves.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Sigh...

there is no backtracking.  I spoke of the future yet YOU are harping on about a past of which I am all too aware!

You need to KEEP looking to the future because it’s all too easy to take your eye off the ball.

(fabulously mixed metaphor, there.  Makes me proud!)

Already I see posts on here clamouring for Saints to splurge £350,000 on Popescu!

And calls to look for more like him and Hladky.

Whereas I would prefer more of McGinn and the two Kyles.

and I’d also prefer to see daft money like £350k spent on yoof.

Or we can continue our investment in youth as we always do... and bring in some good quality, experienced Pros from Europe to fill out the starting XI. If these 4-5 senior were being brought in from England it would cost a hell of a lot more

This thread is yet another classic example where someone says something bloody stupid, won't hold their hands up and proceeds to spend countless pages justifying what they said, changing the goalposts, back tracking, trying to change the subject (apparently this is all about the mills and youth opportunities) and calling people stupid for not understanding him.

Can someone nudge antrim and tell him it is possible to worry about our youth players without linking it to "cheap foreign workers".

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, antrin said:

For a man who likes to parade his working class and left wing credentials as though it is some kind of weird moral badge of honour, you sound an awful like the worst kind of Farage-esque Brexiteer on this thread.🤣

On 5/30/2019 at 11:17 PM, antrin said:

What about it being a Paisley club?  Why not try to employ people from the Paisley area?

I say that rather than look to employ cheap labour from relatively impoverished overseas countries to do the jobs that I thought the youth  and academy scheme were meant to fill.

I obviously like Popescu and Hladky, but...

My original post on this thread.  I have no need to backtrack.   Nor to apologise.

My post followed a series of posts ending with someone saying, “we should be absolutely targeting eastern european markets”.

i suggested we should be absolutely targeting local markets, as I said in my original posts.

I live(as an economic migrant) in the greatest city on earth, which has either 308 or 380 “official languages”  and I am happier in this mix of people than I ever have been.  

for the posers who try to denigrate my belief in Paisley talent, you're choosing the wrong target.

I don’t give a f**k. I’m right.

8 hours ago, Kemp said:

You are talking so much pish on this thread you have me agreeing with f**king Oaksoft over you!

Our eastern european brothers are very welcome to come fight the good fight! I'm sure we will keep producing good young players at the academy funded by our stay in the Premier League. Less of the jingoism please, and certainly less of the harking back to the good ol days of a Labour government and shifts at the mill / down the pit!

Well...  that is all bollox.

Edited by antrin

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You made a stupid comment about cheap foreign players a week after several of them bust their balls for this club and kept us in the Premiership.

I have no idea what provoked ou to then indulge in ridiculous wittering about mills and your hardcore working class attributes as though none of us came from that background ourselves.

No I didn’t make a stupid comment,

read my original post above.  It was considered.

further comment was in reaction to other simplistic posts.

like yours.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

it is possible to worry about our youth players without linking it to "cheap foreign workers".

Or perhaps it is conceivable that someone could hold more than a single simple thought in one’s head at the same time?

....and be able to construct a viable discourse without it being considered “scary” or “frightful”?

so many stupid people!  So much free inter web.  

24 minutes ago, antrin said:

My original post on this thread.  I have no need to backtrack.   Nor to apologise.

My post followed a series of posts ending with someone saying, “we should be absolutely targeting eastern european markets”.

i suggested we should be absolutely targeting local markets, as I said in my original posts.

I live(as an economic migrant) in the greatest city on earth, which has either 308 or 380 “official languages”  and I am happier in this mix of people than I ever have been.  

for the posers who try to denigrate my belief in Paisley talent, you're choosing the wrong target.

I don’t give a f**k. I’m right.

You most certainly are not right.

Show me an example of a club in the UK whose policy is to single out talent solely from the town they are based in. 

Our youth policy has yielded results over the last decade and a half. We have clearly succeeded there and will hopefully continue to do so with continued investment. Your assertion though that we should be putting all of our funds into this instead of targeting a market that we've been relatively successful in as of late is as ludicrous as it is unworkable. You're allowed to dip your toe in more than one market you know. 

If we went with your suggestion of only investing in folk from the town, we'd be down the tubes rather quickly indeed. Football is now a global sport at every level, not only for clubs at the top of it. Excluding yourself from that would be absoultely pig-headed. 

Edited by djchapsticks

5 minutes ago, antrin said:

Sorry djc, 

did you miss this?

I did.

To be fair, you've employed a cracking tactic of saying something monumentally daft and once picked up on it, going into full blown child in denial mode and calling everyone else stupid as a defense method.

Despite being corrected about 'cheap labour' and the issues associated with 'let's not spend money on these foreign markets and focus it all on local talent', you will continue to delude yourself (and only yourself) by telling everyone you've somehow 'won' an argument on the internet. Hey if that gets you through the day, go for it.

But  you won't reply anyway as clearly you're now out. :lol: 

Hey antrim.

Did Sweeper07 ask you to post this bollox to take the heat off his "Danny Baker" thread meltdown? 🤣

Or did you genuinely (and frankly unbelievably) think that people on here would back you when you complained about "cheap foreign workers"? In 2019? 🤣

Fabulous strop though. Make a borderline racist remark, call everyone stupid for not agreeing with you and storm off. Did you watch Elton John's film and decide to become a diva in your dotage? 😁

The close season does funny things to people who otherwise put up quite the pretence of being sane.

Edited by oaksoft

On 5/31/2019 at 12:36 PM, antrin said:

I must presume that your "Blatantly not true. " applies to your two preceding sentences.

My words were, "examples of a business exploiting cheap labour sources", NOT exploiting cheap  labour, not exploiting Popescu or Hladky.  I never suggested that.  

To be fair you are correct, you never once suggested it.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:03 AM, antrin said:

St Mirren is exploiting cheap labour.   Nice.

You outright f**king said it! :lol: 

39 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

To me, it looked like antrin's original post was suggesting that it may be better to invest £350k (if we had it) in the academy to help towards a long term solution (developing local talent and selling them on), rather than spend it on a short term fix.

I guess it depends on how badly we need the short term fix. Let's face it, every single one of us would love to have a decent team full of local St Mirren supporting talent that has come through our academy - as well as having plenty of the same who have moved on to bigger clubs.

Whether you agree with his opinion or not, he's entitled to have one - and there certainly wasn't anything "borderline racist" in it.

I'm sure you are correct in that his initial intention was just to highlight a preference for a St Mirren team of local players that have come through the academy. I think we all agree that would be lovely, as would winning the Champions League with this team of local superstars. 

To then start talking about St Mirren "exploiting cheap foreign labour" though is a rather poor way to word things, to say the least.

We would have been relegated without Hladky and Popescu. I wouldn't like to think of them reading a thread that refers to them in that manner.

On a more practical level, we can't even compete with the likes of Motherwell, St Johnstone, Killie & the Dundee clubs when it comes to wages. We either need to bring players through the academy (which we can manage 1 per season if we are lucky) or cast the net far and wide to bring in players that want to use St Mirren as a stepping stone to bigger clubs. Does the nationality of any of these players matter? Of course it f**king doesn't. For a club of our size we are already punching above our weight with developing young Scottish players, as can be seen by McLean, McGinn and Morgan all in the Scotland squad no doubt to be joined by Mallan and McAllister in the not too distant future.

Pointless conversation anyway. As soon as we leave the EU without a deal, get stuck on WTO trade terms, and the pound crashes Scotland is going to be one of these "relatively impoverished countries" and our players will be looking for a move to Dinamo Bucharest for a chance to earn some foreign currency.

Edited by Kemp