6 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

Start a thread or post to have it turned into what has happened on this thread and hundred of threads before it. Na...you and your wee sad pals can abuse each other and post absolute rubbish till your wee hearts content. Enjoy. I'll get my St Mirren news elsewhere.

Give it a try. 

Be like Sweep and have faith. 

But, forfuxsake, change your fecking Username. 

Swap names with Elvis. 

Confirmed as gone, along with Jackson and the loanees.

For the first time in a long time I feel we are going into a summer with almost everyone you would ideally like to have signed up, already signed. We have a very good spine of players to build a squad around.

2 hours ago, W6Saint said:

Confirmed as gone, along with Jackson and the loanees.

For the first time in a long time I feel we are going into a summer with almost everyone you would ideally like to have signed up, already signed. We have a very good spine of players to build a squad around.

Whilst I am not saying that we should be hanging on to all of the players in the departure lounge, how many other SPL teams are evicting as many as 12 first team squad players?

The close season seems to be the time when St Mirren are most active!

It's a strategy which has hardly helped to provide stability at the club over the past decade or so.

I thought Gus' appointment was aimed at reducing this annual high turnover of playing staff?

41 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Whilst I am not saying that we should be hanging on to all of the players in the departure lounge, how many other SPL teams are evicting as many as 12 first team squad players?

It's a strategy which has hardly helped to provide stability at the club over the past decade or so.

I thought Gus' appointment was aimed at reducing this annual high turnover of playing staff?

Of the 12 players, 9 were loanees returning to their parent clubs and the other 3 are now out of contract, so hardly evicted.

Gus brought in to sort out the Stubbs clusterf-ck and will be thanked for doing so. He will now be judged on avoiding a repeat of last year's mistakes and hopefully manages to reduce the number of loan players we need to depend on.

It will be difficult unless we get the right type in and some of the 9 may well return.

52 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Whilst I am not saying that we should be hanging on to all of the players in the departure lounge, how many other SPL teams are evicting as many as 12 first team squad players?       The close season seems to be the time when St Mirren are most active!

It's a strategy which has hardly helped to provide stability at the club over the past decade or so.       I thought Gus' appointment was aimed at reducing this annual high turnover of playing staff?

4 minutes ago, alanb said:

Of the 12 players, 9 were loanees returning to their parent clubs and the other 3 are now out of contract, so hardly evicted.

Gus brought in to sort out the Stubbs clusterf-ck and will be thanked for doing so. He will now be judged on avoiding a repeat of last year's mistakes and hopefully manages to reduce the number of loan players we need to depend on.    It will be difficult unless we get the right type in and some of the 9 may well return.

Just because 12 - 14 players will be leaving does not mean we are slashing the squad too drastically. Of those going out, there is a chance that some of them will be back soon... no need to state who all, but e.g. Hodson for one. Of the ones that won't be back, would anyone not prefer we try and better them by bringing in replacements?

We are basically left with a team for all positions at the moment. Yes their is room to strengthen, but that is what we must do.

Motherwell and Hamilton (and Dee who are no longer in our league) have all offloaded plenty of players too. Livi so far have not, but they have lost their two best players...

Keep the faith! If Gus and Oran wave their magic wands once again, like they did in January, we will be in a much much better place for next season... in many ways we are already...:magic

2 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

He was brought in after the summer so i'd imagine it's effective as of the next 12 months. Even at that there will still be departures, it's just where we are in the football food chain.

My point is not that we are "slashing" our squad but that we again appear to have a larger than average  turnover of players.

I agree that it would be good if we could afford to hang on to Popescu and Hodson - but I am not hopeful of that happening nor that we will get anyone of better quality.

Don't loanee players return to their parent clubs at the end of their loan period? This, i think is how it works.

Chances are some could return once a new deal has been negotiated between our club and theirs. Another loan or permanent deal.

3 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

released / returned loanees / out of contract 

Hamilton - 13

Hibs -11 

Motherwell - 15 

most other clubs have not finalised yet. 

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:36 PM, MenstrieSaint said:

I think we are in a decent position . We can still put out a reasonable team with the players retained . And the wages released from the players moving on gives us quite a bit of dosh to put together a decent squad .

And out budget this season goes up significantly too . . .

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:11 PM, northstbuddie said:

My point is not that we are "slashing" our squad but that we again appear to have a larger than average  turnover of players.

I agree that it would be good if we could afford to hang on to Popescu and Hodson - but I am not hopeful of that happening nor that we will get anyone of better quality.

Looking like both Hodson and Popescu will be back.... (not yet signed and sealed, but moving positively)

Given the mess a year ago - clearing out last year and in January - during ONE open transfer window, there was always going to be more movement this time around too. A lot of loan signings, which often means you won't get them all back, even if you want them back.

More money, should bring in more quality - but it is not an exact science - injuries, whether they settle in Paisley, personal life factors etc etc.  

On 6/3/2019 at 5:11 PM, northstbuddie said:

I think you’re looking too much at the numbers and not the players.

9 of the 12 were on loan. That leaves Anton, Jackson and Eckersley - all past 30 years old too. Anton can still read the game better than anyone but his legs are gone, Eck has joined Airdrie so it’s not like we’ve lost him to a competing rival, and if League One is the best offer he’s had then is it really a loss for us now? That leaves Jackson who’s come in, done a job, and goes with thanks with the others.

With Gus in now the long term plan is to have a more stable squad and less loanees. Loanees was the best we could hope for in January with limited options (alongside super Vaclav), and of course our SPL status was highly questionable. Now it’s summer, players are out of contract, it’ll be a lot easier to bring in guys, and potential players know for sure we are in the top flight.

The short term plan was placed and succeeded. It’s only now we go to the long term plan.