Cammy Murray (Hall of Fame)

Just seem Cammy is being honoured in the Hall of Fame and wanted to say excellent, as he was a great servant to the club back in the 1960's and like it says in the blurb; he always seemed to be playing, I cant recall him ever being injured, they obviously made the Iron Brew stronger back then. Both him and Tony Connell at left back made a great defensive pair and played together (if I remember correctly) for a good few years.  I think we picked Tony up from Third Lanark when they folded, he looked a bit like Jimmy Hill and had an almost identical set of whiskers and he was a damn good defender, just like Cammy. Hey ho memories eh?

5 hours ago, jaybee said:

Just seem Cammy is being honoured in the Hall of Fame and wanted to say excellent, as he was a great servant to the club back in the 1960's and like it says in the blurb; he always seemed to be playing, I cant recall him ever being injured, they obviously made the Iron Brew stronger back then. Both him and Tony Connell at left back made a great defensive pair and played together (if I remember correctly) for a good few years.  I think we picked Tony up from Third Lanark when they folded, he looked a bit like Jimmy Hill and had an almost identical set of whiskers and he was a damn good defender, just like Cammy. Hey ho memories eh?

Names I remember back then we had a right good team did we not finish third in the top league under Alex Wright ? 

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Names I remember back then we had a right good team did we not finish third in the top league under Alex Wright ? 

No we've only finished third twice once in the 20's and once in the 80's under JIm Clunie Alex Wright's best was 11th in 68-69

Edited by Danny

30 minutes ago, Danny said:

No we've opnly finished third twice once in the 20's and once in the 80's under JIm Clunie Alex Wright's best was 11th in 68-69

Did he not have us up high for a good part of the season ? Was very young back then. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

I remember one game, which I think was against Hearts at Love St and Cammy came forward with the ball, and everyone expected him to just pass it, but instead he chipped it over the advancing defence and he ran through almost unopposed on goal...……………………… but Cammy wasn't quite made for goal scoring (I think he only ever scored 4 goals in 10 years) and with only the goalie to beat missed rather wildly.!

That never made me think any less of him, but that memory has certainly stuck!!! 🤔

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

In the 68/69 Season, under Wright we were undefeated in our first eleven league games leaving us high up the Division. 

The final game in that run was 1-0 win over the Dead Club with Gilshan scoring the winner at a foggy Love Street. 

43000 attended. 

My first season. 

8 minutes ago, shull said:

In the 68/69 Season, under Wright we were undefeated in our first eleven league games leaving us high up the Division. 

The final game in that run was 1-0 win over the Dead Club with Gilshan scoring the winner at a foggy Love Street. 

43000 attended. 

My first season. 

Was at the 1-0 Gilshan game also. I remember Alex Wright being successful highest finish was 5th I'm sure we were third top for a good few weeks I'm sure. 

31 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Did he not have us up high for a good part of the season ? Was very young back then. 

Yes we were newly promoted and undefeated for the first eleven games including a historic victory over Rangers where High Gilshan scored in the fog at Love Street But we then went on a distasterous run not winning a game for months inclding a 6 2 humping by Dunfermline

40 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Yes we were newly promoted and undefeated for the first eleven games including a historic victory over Rangers where High Gilshan scored in the fog at Love Street But we then went on a distasterous run not winning a game for months including a 6 2 humping by Dunfermline

ETA Just checked the St Mirren Info site and I did Alex Wright a disservice We actually finished 10th in 68-69 and 15th in his last season in 69-70

Edited by Danny

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:
8 hours ago, jaybee said:

Gosh! ah thought that was mne just fantasizing ...................   along with that wee blonde ...........  sigh.

57 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I remember one game, which I think was against Hearts at Love St and Cammy came forward with the ball, and everyone expected him to just pass it, but instead he chipped it over the advancing defence and he ran through almost unopposed on goal...……………………… but Cammy wasn't quite made for goal scoring (I think he only ever scored 4 goals in 10 years) and with only the goalie to beat missed rather wildly.!

That never made me think any less of him, but that memory has certainly stuck!!! 🤔

Yes, easy to forgive him that being a defender an all, but I was also remembering Bobby Adamson, a striker if my memory serves and my goodness me could that man no blooter a ba, he really could hit that football ................ just a shame he had no sense of where the goal was, great player for the buddies though.

33 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Yes, easy to forgive him that being a defender an all, but I was also remembering Bobby Adamson, a striker if my memory serves and my goodness me could that man no blooter a ba, he really could hit that football ................ just a shame he had no sense of where the goal was, great player for the buddies though.

Used to deliver his milk when he lived in Meilkleriggs

2 minutes ago, Danny said:
36 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Used to deliver his milk when he lived in Meilkleriggs

Ah a see wis you doping it? is that why he could blooter a ba through a barn door ................................  if he could find it.  ☺️

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Yes we were newly promoted and undefeated for the first eleven games including a historic victory over Rangers where High Gilshan scored in the fog at Love Street But we then went on a distasterous run not winning a game for months including a 6 2 humping by Dunfermline

ETA Just checked the St Mirren Info site and I did Alex Wright a disservice We actually finished 10th in 68-69 and 15th in his last season in 69-70

We finished 11th 68/69,15th in 69/70 and relegated 70/71.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Prog_Season.php?season=1968

https://spfl.co.uk/league/premiership/archive/30

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

Wee baldy-heided Bobby Adamson...………….. mind you I can't really talk! 😂

Along with Peter Kane they were a couple of players who you enjoyed watching, even if it was just a case of blinking hard because you couldn't quite believe that they missed that sitter. 🤣

34 minutes ago, HSS said:

I thought it was 11th as I said in my first post but trusted StMirren info Never again:wub: