Judas Now Home As Is Goodwin.

Have to say Nicholl leaving is a strange one. Oran was after him for a while. Its no wonder fans put 2 and 2 together and get 7. Oran also was quoted as saying he struggles juggling family commitments etc but would find a way to remain in charge. Hopefully not another pre season of change. We need stability.

2 hours ago, Ethan said:

Have to say Nicholl leaving is a strange one. Oran was after him for a while. Its no wonder fans put 2 and 2 together and get 7. Oran also was quoted as saying he struggles juggling family commitments etc but would find a way to remain in charge. Hopefully not another pre season of change. We need stability.

I am hoping you mean change the sort we faced last summer, because we are in for another pre season of change this year.

There will be about 12 out and 12 in (or re-signed) probably more players wise - the difference this year is we will have a much stronger 1st team core to build upon.

A new Coach is not necessarily a bad thing. Nicholl was great for experience, but hardly young and fit. He has gone for a more full time, better paid post.

Our new coach might be even better than what Nicholl offered. Oran does not need that kind of coach for next season, we will be fighting on different terms - i.e. above the relegation places...

The only other risk is if someone signs some of those we want to keep . . . Hladky, Hodson etc. and we don't get to keep Popescu...

1 hour ago, delpierro said:

Nicholl, away. Well happy days.
emoji41.png

I think Nicholl's influence was good - albeit part time and for these crucial past 5 months or so... Time for a younger more enthusiastic guy to push us on even further...

Keeping it fresh is good - too much stability can lead to complacency . . .  :pirate

On 6/3/2019 at 3:33 PM, Sweeper07 said:

I think Nicholl's influence was good - albeit part time and for these crucial past 5 months or so... Time for a younger more enthusiastic guy to push us on even further...

Keeping it fresh is good - too much stability can lead to complacency . . .  :pirate

Too much stability... you mean like the St Johnstone model of a low turnover of managers and players?

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Just as well we were so free-flowing ourselves from July to January!

Agree, we were very poor until Stubbs mess was cleaned up. Still think they play a poor style of football only moderately better than Livi's.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:33 PM, Sweeper07 said:

Oran himself has said Nicholl had a massive influence in our survival, and says he himself benefitted from having Jimmy here.

28 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Oran himself has said Nicholl had a massive influence in our survival, and says he himself benefitted from having Jimmy here.

I'm sure he did so the question  is why did Jimmy go down to the championship ? Jimmy has not been at clubs with McPake before.  Nothing has happened with Oran and Jimmy just don't understand this move

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I'm sure he did so the question  is why did Jimmy go down to the championship ? Jimmy has not been at clubs with McPake before.  Nothing has happened with Oran and Jimmy just don't understand this move

Maybe for more money or to be closer to home would be my guess. 

5 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The agreement was always to assess the situation at the end of the season. Jimmy was nothing more than a coach here, so he’s definitely on better money now as Assistant Manager. Perhaps we were unwilling to guarantee him that position here before Dundee came in, or perhaps Dundee is closer to home. I wouldn’t worry about it too much, from what Oran has said Jimmy did a great job here, so he goes with our thanks and we shall see who comes in to take the Assistant’s job.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:59 PM, Sweeper07 said:

I am hoping you mean change the sort we faced last summer, because we are in for another pre season of change this year.

There will be about 12 out and 12 in (or re-signed) probably more players wise - the difference this year is we will have a much stronger 1st team core to build upon.

A new Coach is not necessarily a bad thing. Nicholl was great for experience, but hardly young and fit. He has gone for a more full time, better paid post.

Our new coach might be even better than what Nicholl offered. Oran does not need that kind of coach for next season, we will be fighting on different terms - i.e. above the relegation places...

The only other risk is if someone signs some of those we want to keep . . . Hladky, Hodson etc. and we don't get to keep Popescu...

I mean in terms of changing boss and coaches. We need Oran to lead the side into the new season. Obviously we have player turnover but the staff need to remain the same. I am looking forward to see the calibre of player brought in. 

16 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Too much stability... you mean like the St Johnstone model of a low turnover of managers and players?

Yeah it has worked for them for a decade now since the current Dons manager got them promoted. They then had Steve Lomas for a season and a half, and over the last 6 seasons Tommy Wright. Note they did not employ Aln F'n Stubbs.

Also over this time they have regularly had decent goal scorers - from Sandaza (14) back in 2011/12, to having 4 guys on 7 goals in 2012/13 but it seems to be getting harder for them in recent years - Kennedy on 6 last season was their top scorer..

It would not take much for them to be in the mire - Davidson and Swanson aging and had lots of injuries, especially if they don't find a goal scorer...

They don't exactly play attractive football though and their fan base is low...  Don't be surprised if their bubble bursts at some point in the next 4 years or so... :ninja

14 hours ago, Ethan said:

I mean in terms of changing boss and coaches. We need Oran to lead the side into the new season. Obviously we have player turnover but the staff need to remain the same. I am looking forward to see the calibre of player brought in. 

I don't get why you say the backroom staff NEED to remain the same. Nicholl has gone and this is an opportunity to freshen things up. Given that McManus and Langfield are still here and clearly doing a great job, bringing in someone else might just add an extra edge to move us from "fear to express".

Like you, I look forward to seeing who comes in... If McManus is not stepped up . . .

10 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Yeah it has worked for them for a decade now since the current Dons manager got them promoted. They then had Steve Lomas for a season and a half, and over the last 6 seasons Tommy Wright. Note they did not employ Aln F'n Stubbs.

Also over this time they have regularly had decent goal scorers - from Sandaza (14) back in 2011/12, to having 4 guys on 7 goals in 2012/13 but it seems to be getting harder for them in recent years - Kennedy on 6 last season was their top scorer..

It would not take much for them to be in the mire - Davidson and Swanson aging and had lots of injuries, especially if they don't find a goal scorer...

They don't exactly play attractive football though and their fan base is low...  Don't be surprised if their bubble bursts at some point in the next 4 years or so... :ninja

They also had a free-scoring Stevie May at one point, who’s lost his touch since leaving them.

They are a very well run club, which helps cover the loss from having a smaller fan base. We would do well to emulate them, can’t remember the last time they were under severe threat of relegation, and they’ve even had a couple of European excursions too since their top flight return.

Interesting to see him admit that he's struggling without his family. 

Hopefully something can be sorted out over the summer to make him and his whole family happier with the situation. It's obvious when his kids are out on the park with him how much they dote on their old man and love being there on the park. It's all one to say 'move over' but there's always more to that with young kids involved. Hopefully there is a resolution that makes everyone happy.