St. Mirren v Dunfermline 14th July 2019

8 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Yep, Gus MacPherson starting to look like a waste of a wage. The problems with the team should be blindingly obvious from last year.

Not blaming Gus personally but obviously all the turmoil with Kearney influenced Muzek's decision to sign elsewhere. Certainly didn't help with Popescu either. If the Director position is still resulting in us going in to the season prepared like today then what is the point really?

You missed blaming Stubbs, and Rae too!

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

You are the only one with a hard on for Stubbs round here. You can't stop talking about the man!

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

You are the only one with a hard on for Stubbs round here. You can't stop talking about the man!

It was you who put Stubbs, and Hard on, in the same sentence... me thinks the man doth protesth too much?

13 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Yep, Gus MacPherson starting to look like a waste of a wage. The problems with the team should be blindingly obvious from last year.

Not blaming Gus personally but obviously all the turmoil with Kearney influenced Muzek's decision to sign elsewhere. Certainly didn't help with Popescu either. If the Director position is still resulting in us going in to the season prepared like today then what is the point really?

It is still eary in the transfer window. I will reserve judgement until it closes.

3 hours ago, magnus said:

Two centre backs and a left back or one Popescu and a decent left back required urgently.

A number of people didn't think Muzek was that great . . . compared to Erhahon at LB he is a world beater...

What happened to all the Gary MacK fans?????

Early season, but Goodie saying we want a player to challenge in every position but not trying to replace (or upset) the 1st choice players - mmmm

Badly need better players to improve - ALWAYS.

We will get better but need an actual LB and more goal scoring potential . . . :ninja

In short... the players (and manager) who ultimately made the difference last season, excepting Hladky are gone!

Baird and G-Mac in the back line are horribly exposed with attackers running at them. Erahon isnt a full back, and was benched towards the end of last season. We dont have a defensive midfielder, S McGinn is slowing up, P McGinn can only overlap so many times when there is no one to link up with.

Kyle Magennis is s still a shadow of what he is capable of. Ryan Flynn can still go awol, Cody Cooke is keen, but isnt the main man, we have a forward with a fancy hyphenated name 'Danny Mullen's-lostit..'

Andreu looks like McShane... a sand dancer. And we have nothing on the bench.

apart from that everything is gravy!

welcome to full time management Goody! Make sure you wear an anti-stab vest, with extra 'back' protection!

Just in, seems a much longer drive home after a defeat like that. First half was absolutely shocking and second slightly better.
I’m a big S McGinn fan, but he was a real worry today, struggled badly and doesn’t have the legs anymore.
Before the game we were discussing Erhahon being a weak link at left-back. He’s only young, but why play him there when it’s not his position. His confidence must’ve taken a hammering today, as he’s clearly not ready.
Cooke took his goal well and Djorkaeff looked promising when he came on, but it’s clear than Goodwin needs backing to strengthen big time.
You do get strange results in these early League Cup games, so hopefully we can scrape through and qualify.
On a positive, on the road home we drove past all the Orcs spilling out of Ibrox and it reminded me to be grateful that we’re not like them.

1 hour ago, santaponsasaint said:

Well that was a waste of a Sunday. Absolute dross. Goodwin will dress it up in the media. But it was dire. Absolutely full of sloppy mistakes poor defending and no supply to forwards. Love to ask Goody what was the formation meant to be. Was it 4.3.1.2. Cos we sat for 90 minutes and couldn't work it out. Badly needing about 8 decent players. Break the bank to get Popescu back. Midfield has no energy. Pretty passes to go 5 yards backwards. Simply not good enough. Why wasnt Dorkjeef not playing from the start. Cos if he can't get into that team. If we bring in new players how is he going get Into any team this season. Day in our life's we won't get back.

He said it would have been embarrassing if we had taken anything from that game. Was the right thing to say. 

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Well that was dreadful. Started with 4-3-3 and completely overrun in midfield. Andreu played deeper in second half but still overrun. Some players are simply not good enough and others had a really bad day at the office. At least this display should focus Jim's attention on recruitment which is badly needed. Resign Muzek and ask SMiSA for 100k for Popescu would be a good start.

This.

I just caught the game after dodging the score,I have to say I’m usually upbeat about everything st.mirren related but that performance was seriously bad,there’s one thing being off the pace at the start of the season and down right slackness players jogging when they should be running,I thought July was all about bursting a gut to get fit regardless of the game, Jim I don’t mind getting beat by teams but our have to graft during the game,and yes we scored one and a goalie gifted us one but worked to be done for sure, never mind who we want to sign,let’s get who we have moving there arse

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

He said it would have been embarrassing if we had taken anything from that game. Was the right thing to say. 

A man who clearly lives in the real world. I thought he might have changed things at half-time but now think he did the right thing sending the same players back out. Our tempo in the first half was low. Despite that, I thought we were the better side until Dunfermline scored. They then dominated until our comeback started. Ernhahon was often left exposed but never stopped making himself available. Stephen McGinn turned back more often than going forward and it was no surprise when he was substituted. Magennis had been invisible until S McGinn handed him the armband. He then came more into the game. Cooke took his goal well and Danny did what a striker should do and scored during a stramash in front of goal. Saints pushed Gary Mac up front late in the game and threw Hladky up for a late corner during which he was fouled but no penalty given. Time to congratulate the Pars, lick our wounds and focus on the next game.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

In short... the players (and manager) who ultimately made the difference last season, excepting Hladky are gone!

Baird and G-Mac in the back line are horribly exposed with attackers running at them. Erahon isnt a full back, and was benched towards the end of last season. We dont have a defensive midfielder, S McGinn is slowing up, P McGinn can only overlap so many times when there is no one to link up with.

Kyle Magennis is s still a shadow of what he is capable of. Ryan Flynn can still go awol, Cody Cooke is keen, but isnt the main man, we have a forward with a fancy hyphenated name 'Danny Mullen's-lostit..'

Andreu looks like McShane... a sand dancer. And we have nothing on the bench.

apart from that everything is gravy!

welcome to full time management Goody! Make sure you wear an anti-stab vest, with extra 'back' protection!

Most players are not up to match fitness and it's only 14 July.  Others to come in and new players to gel. Hibs and Hamilton struggled to beat even lower league teams. It's very early to rate TA and others after first competitive game imho.  There are issues to address but I am going to wait and see our full squad before writing off the whole team.

2 hours ago, linwood-bud said:

Jim Goodwin was 80 minutes too late taking off McGinn.

He simply doesn’t have the energy, fitness or outstanding ability to deserve a place in the team.

It almost feels like Ryan Flynn is a different player when he doesn’t have to cover Stephen.

I think he did more moaning than playing.  It was courageous for Goodwin to substitute him.  That says a lot about our new manager.

If you look at the players he has at his disposal just now, the 4-4-2 diamond was a logical choice of shape to go with and it was the clear the team was set up to go and have a go and be open and attacking.  

The problem you have with that shape but is you are asking your full backs to do a power of work by getting up and down for 90 minutes and clearly McGinn and Erahon aren’t at the required levels of fitness to perform the role they were asked.  Also by sending them galavanting up the wing at every opportunity you are leaving your two centre halves and defensive midfielder very exposed.  Match that up with the fact that Paul McGinn gave the ball away every time he got it and the fact that Erahon is never a left back and we were always going to be under pressure with them pushing up the park.  

One of the goals, the ball is loose in midfield and Paul McGinn thinks Flynn is going to get it so he starts to move forward, something he would have been told to do.  However, Flynn was never getting the ball and before you know it they are in at our centre halves.  Can put that down to getting used to a new shape and new instructions but still a poor error of judgement in an all round poor day for him. 

Another goal Gary Mack was doing the right thing showing the boy wide when Erahon came in and dived into a tackle, leaving Gary Mack one-on-one with a pacy attacker and unfortunately we know the outcome when that happens.  The left back issue needs to be solved soon for the teams sake and Erahon’s own confidence as he will keep making errors if he is played there.  I haven’t seen these two goals back but that was my take on them watching it live.

Thought Magennis was pretty poor throughout in terms of quality produced.  No doubt he was trying and put a shift in but expect much better output from him.  Flynn probably the best performer in midfield for me. 

Keeper looked like he went down in installments for Cooke’s goal but I’ll give the big man credit.  No doubt he is a handful for defenders but he needs to be winning more headers and winning us more free kicks if we are going to be going direct to him.  He started doing it second half but first half was dire.  

We know where we are, we are 6 or 7 players short of having the squad we will have the pleasure of watching all season.  I’m a good couple of weeks away from even starting to worry so I’m struggling to understand all the pished boxers in here.  

11 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Most players are not up to match fitness and it's only 14 July.  Others to come in and new players to gel. Hibs and Hamilton struggled to beat even lower league teams. It's very early to rate TA and others after first competitive game imho.  There are issues to address but I am going to wait and see our full squad before writing off the whole team.

For every team that struggled I can give you more that didn't.

Using a couple other shock results, which were draws, not defeats, is a poor attempt to cover up a crap performance, any way you try to paint it.

As for the match fitness, Dunfermline didn't look to slow compared to our first half performance, maybe they didn't go to Spain for a jolly? 

28 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

It is also only the 14 July for Dunfermline.