St. Mirren v Dunfermline 14th July 2019

8 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

It is also only the 14 July for Dunfermline. 

Correct. Give the Pars credit. They looked like they wanted it more. But.. Not time to press the panic button just yet. I'll be back mid week to see Edinburgh City and at East Kilbride on Saturday. Our "showdown" might be against Albion Rovers the following week

Dunfermline did their homework they knew we were weak down the left side and that's where the first two goals came from. Young Ethan isn't to blame for that he's being played out of position and it's obvious that we are crying out for a LB. I thought Stephen McGinn was poor but hopefully as the games come he'll up his game. I thought when given any decent service Cooke looked good and his goal was very well taken. We are missing Popescu and McCallister , hopefully we can get one or both back before the window closes.

So this is partly about the effects of changing managers. Clearly we were behind in fitness, organisation, and in bringing players into the team. Dissappointing but not really unexpected. We only confirmed what we already knew. We need to strenghten and soon.  The new signings look as if they will contribute when their up and running. My knickers have a little dribble of pee, but they are fairly dry.

I think the first half was more down to laziness and lack of ability rather than fitness we were the better side 2nd half were Dunfermline tired more than us albeit we still were fortunate with the two goals we got one being a deflection from cooks shot and another poor spill from there keeper.

14 minutes ago, insaintee said:

So this is partly about the effects of changing managers. Clearly we were behind in fitness, organisation, and in bringing players into the team. Dissappointing but not really unexpected. We only confirmed what we already knew. We need to strenghten and soon.  The new signings look as if they will contribute when their up and running. My knickers have a little dribble of pee, but they are fairly dry.

Why should we be behind in fitness? :blink:

A feeling of deja vu for Saints fans - nothing has changed from last season other than one or two personnel.

We are currently aspiring to re-sign some of the players who would bring us up to last season's standards !!!!!

The first half performance could not have been worse - it was of a standard even Elvis would have been gutted at.

We were second to most balls in midfield and especially when it was pumped into the air as it invariably was.

Currently we are a mile off the standard achieved in the latter half of last season when we survived relegation by the skin of our teeth.

Guest TPAFKATS
For every team that struggled I can give you more that didn't.
Using a couple other shock results, which were draws, not defeats, is a poor attempt to cover up a crap performance, any way you try to paint it.
As for the match fitness, Dunfermline didn't look to slow compared to our first half performance, maybe they didn't go to Spain for a jolly? 
Don't lower league teams start and finish their season before us? Not sure about Dunfermline but generally championship teams start pre season before Premier so they would be ahead in preparation.
We've also dropped another 3 weeks behind in our pre season.
I understand that Jim Goodwin also feels the fitness level of the players was poor and he's been working on improving that.

None of this excuses what looked like a bounce game performance which is totally unacceptable.

4 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Don't lower league teams start and finish their season before us? Not sure about Dunfermline but generally championship teams start pre season before Premier so they would be ahead in preparation.
I understand that Jim Goodwin also feels the fitness level of the players was poor and he's been working on improving that.

None of this excuses what looked like a bounce game performance which is totally unacceptable.

Why?

Are you suggesting the managerial change meant we stopped pre season preparations? 

6 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Lots to ponder in your post. I wondered if perhaps we Had been doing double training sessions. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Why?
Are you suggesting the managerial change meant we stopped pre season preparations? 
Yes. We had no manager or assistant taking training, identifying players to bring in or even who to arrange games against.

Guest TPAFKATS
Lots to ponder in your post. I wondered if perhaps we Had been doing double training sessions. 
Yeah.
We were so far off the pace we looked really sluggish. Can be too much training but can also be resting at wrong time in relation to game.
I'd hope the coaches we have including junior would be aware of all this though.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:
24 minutes ago, faraway saint said:
Why?

Yes. We had no manager or assistant taking training, identifying players to bring in or even who to arrange games against.

Not buying that.

We had Gus, there's unlikely to have been a 3 week loss.

Also the friendlies, and training schedule, including Spain, would have been made without a manger being in charge. 

To try to find an excuse, which you said there wasn't one, on us being so far off the pace today isn't plausible IMO.

Guest TPAFKATS
Not buying that.
We had Gus, there's unlikely to have been a 3 week loss.
Also the friendlies, and training schedule, including Spain, would have been made without a manger being in charge. 
To try to find an excuse, which you said there wasn't one, on us being so far off the pace today isn't plausible IMO.
I'm no apologist for gus, however he needs to discuss potential signing targets in conjunction with the manager. Same with friendlies, they require input from the manager, for example as to level of opposition.
Spain would've been already booked however the training schedule has input from all the coaching staff, as I posted previously the new manager quickly identified fitness as a concern.

53 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

The club has always had  a poor start to the season,I think we have only won our first home game of the season once in the last 10 years,someone can check this.

I believe this is down to poor preseason preparations ,pampering in Spain will not help,they need to play teams in Scandinavia  who have already started their  to get up to speed.Too late now ,we are not fit enough ,nor have the team set up organised yet.

We are certs  for relegation  based on this squad of players ,especially  if we are too loyal to the likes of S MCGinn

4 hours ago, The77s said:

I believe Muzek joined Sheriff earlier this month.

Like you and many others, I hope that we can still do something to get Popescu, but looking doubtful!

I would think that after the club put out a statement saying Popescu was about to sign and then asked for too much cash at the last minute and moved the goalposts on SMFC that there will be around zero chance of him signing for us now.

Mainly because to say in a club statement that the player got greedy hardly endears the club to the player if we do try and go back for him!

(Good to know the transfer fee wasn't an issue for a GLS-fuelled St Mirren though).

4 hours ago, Kemp said:

Not blaming Gus personally but obviously all the turmoil with Kearney influenced Muzek's decision to sign elsewhere. 

I’m sure the fact Sherif play European football near enough every season, including the CL this year are probably bigger factors than Gus McPherson. Also while Moldovan football isn’t rich, Sherif may be the exception to the rule - more money than the rest, and probably able to outdo ourselves on a wage offer.

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

He used the same supersonic flights that Kearney was using. 

That explains where LPM got his £6,000 figure from!

2 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

Most players are not up to match fitness and it's only 14 July.  Others to come in and new players to gel. Hibs and Hamilton struggled to beat even lower league teams. It's very early to rate TA and others after first competitive game imho.  There are issues to address but I am going to wait and see our full squad before writing off the whole team.

Pars looked match fit. Tired a bit at the end but strolled to victory. Worrying.

6 hours ago, linwood-bud said:

Jim Goodwin was 80 minutes too late taking off McGinn.

He simply doesn’t have the energy, fitness or outstanding ability to deserve a place in the team.

It almost feels like Ryan Flynn is a different player when he doesn’t have to cover Stephen.

Jeezo, not another season of this