EKFC v SMFC LC 20/7/19

2 hours ago, belfast billy said:

I’m not a knickerwetter or a happy clapper but I worry for us this coming league campaign .Horsed by Dunfermline last minute win against second division Edinburgh city and now non league East Kilbride holding us to a draw

I know ............ but then ed city beat the pars         .......DOH!

21 minutes ago, E=Mc2 said:

Honestly, you’re onto a free beer if we go through.

If we win and Dunfermline get beat we’re through.

If Dunfermline only draw and then lose the penalty shootout we need to win by 7 goals to go through on goal difference.

whit’s the odds Faraway?

Eh? 

Not if EC win their two remaining games we’re not. They can still get 9 points. 

Anyone who was at the Edinburgh game midweek should not be surprised at today's result. Maybe the BBC showed loads of goal attempts but most were pretty tame passbacks.

The formation was strange. We had 4 at the back, 4 in midfield , Mullen up front and Oan playing wherever he felt like. Absolutely no width and everything through the middle to players playing a game of statues. Oan was the only person running off the ball and he kind of vanished in the second half although I believe he was still on the park. Build ups were chronically slow with many side passes allowing EK to pull everyone behind the ball.

Biggest concern for me is the players. They are individually better than the shite Stubbs signed but they are playing very poorly. Magennis is a shadow of the player he should be and most of the experienced players are way off the mark. Andreu was transferred for £1M once but showed nothing to justify that price tag. And some players are simply nowhere near good enough for the Premiership.

Glad I am not Goody who has to sort out this mess.

Painful. I can’t think of a single Saints player who earned pass marks today. The bench shows the frailty of our squad and the amount of rebuilding required. Sadly, given our financial position, I doubt if the greatest manager in the world can turn this shambles round.

Ricky - thanks for the ticket but I’ll pass next time.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the club spend what they don't have, but they do have a budget and that's what everyone is waiting for them to dip into

You really think they aren’t going to use what they have [emoji23]

The budget is the reason why we failed in an attempt to sign the big striker and no doubt another few targets.

People are moaning about the fact we didn’t get him the only we would could have got him in was to break the budget so yeah no one is suggesting the club spend what they don’t have....

Our Technical Director really needs to take some responsibility here, one of his main duties as DOF is helping the manager identify and recruit new players

He said, "A major part of it is recruitment, getting out and about, building the network and trying to attract players to the club"

If we are so far behind every other club in the league in terms of recruitment, What is the point of having a Technical Director?

2 minutes ago, NB18 said:

Our Technical Director really needs to take some responsibility here, one of his main duties as DOF is helping the manager identify and recruit new players

He said, "A major part of it is recruitment, getting out and about, building the network and trying to attract players to the club"

If we are so far behind every other club in the league in terms of recruitment, What is the point of having a Technical Director?

I do agree here, but I also think if it’s just to identify, then that means it’s not up to him to do the contract negotiations. He may well have found many targets but the negotiators have been piss poor. Perhaps the budget is f**ked due to the many payouts we’ve made in the last year. Alternatively it could just be Gus being pish, but I’m willing to back him a little longer based on a good January. If he’s not involved in negotiations, then it’s not necessarily his fault for the lack of signings. It’s hard to say right now.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

So far this is the worst prepared St Mirren side for a season i can remember. Ffs even Stubbs side played better. The irony of all this is that we a technical director whose remit is supposed to be making sure we are well prepared.

please dont give me all that pony about Gus or the club being unable to do any planning until we won the play off because thats pish. They should have had a list of targets identified that they knew they could meet their wage demands, and alter it if we went down. It would appear Gus etc are more interested in jollies to Spain rather than getting players in the door.

how the f**k does signing Lyness, Andreu and Djorkaeff whose had more clubs than Colin Montgomery constitute a "MoneyBall Strategy"..?

so far the work Gus has done is embarrassing, anyone with a phone could have done it, feck even Djorkaeff was flown over here to play in trials making it even easier to look at him.

with two weeks until we start at Easter Road we are relying on under 19's to make a team. Sack Gus now and put the money into players, not more blazers!

just a reminder East Kilbride are a FIFTH tier Lowland League side. Just think what Albion Rovers could do to us!

Have to agree ................. even though it pains me to say so.

So far this is the worst prepared St Mirren side for a season i can remember. Ffs even Stubbs side played better. The irony of all this is that we a technical director whose remit is supposed to be making sure we are well prepared.
please dont give me all that pony about Gus or the club being unable to do any planning until we won the play off because thats pish. They should have had a list of targets identified that they knew they could meet their wage demands, and alter it if we went down. It would appear Gus etc are more interested in jollies to Spain rather than getting players in the door.
how the f**k does signing Lyness, Andreu and Djorkaeff whose had more clubs than Colin Montgomery constitute a "MoneyBall Strategy"..?
so far the work Gus has done is embarrassing, anyone with a phone could have done it, feck even Djorkaeff was flown over here to play in trials making it even easier to look at him.
with two weeks until we start at Easter Road we are relying on under 19's to make a team. Sack Gus now and put the money into players, not more blazers!
just a reminder East Kilbride are a FIFTH tier Lowland League side. Just think what Albion Rovers could do to us!

I don’t blame gus at all I’m sure he was preparing well with Kearney before the chairman stepped in to put us into a right mess and well behind yet again.

Goody came in a week later maybe he didn’t fancy what gus and Kearney had listed and wanted to put his own team together as he rightfully should so a lot of the old targets may have been scraped.

I don’t like the position that gus would be signings players without a managers say so and when we work on a really tight budget it should be down 100% to the manager how he uses the clubs budget on players.

This was a game about two decent defences. EK set up well in defensive mode. We gave nothing away at the back.
We created chances but found their keeper in great form. He was rightly man of the match. 
Credit to EK but we can do better. 
You reference two good defensive performances but what does it say about our forward play when we cannot score against a 5th tier side? Even if they are set up defensively and the keeper plays a blinder.
Blunt would be being overly generous.

3 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

You reference two good defensive performances but what does it say about our forward play when we cannot score against a 5th tier side? Even if they are set up defensively and the keeper plays a blinder.
Blunt would be being overly generous.

Fair comment Turra. 

I'm not suggesting we were good enough. We weren't. But. Their keeper did play a blinder. 

You really think they aren’t going to use what they have [emoji23]

The budget is the reason why we failed in an attempt to sign the big striker and no doubt another few targets.

People are moaning about the fact we didn’t get him the only we would could have got him in was to break the budget so yeah no one is suggesting the club spend what they don’t have....

I believe the reason we lost put on the Dutch striker was great play by his agent - he never wanted to leave the Netherlands and used us (and others?) to force the hand of local sides. And it worked a treat.

However, it does seem we lost (or postponed) the signing Popescu due to money.

20 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Been 1st team squad players for ages now, youth my arse. Neither are remotely close to Premier league standard either.

Unfair on Erhahon I think.   There is a decent footballer in there but he is being roasted every game at left back.  Interesting to see the EK keeper targeting him with every kick today.  Give the lad a rest or play him in his real position.  

2 hours ago, Ethan said:

Goodwin should be ripping this side apart and demanding the board give him more backing. We finished in the play off spot which was the wake up call that the side was not good enough. Going into a season with the dross we have is not acceptable. Yes we have weeks left on the transfer window but the season started last week. 

Goodwin will say feck all..is all front...

Fair comment Turra. 
I'm not suggesting we were good enough. We weren't. But. Their keeper did play a blinder. 
Did he??? He had one double save from Mullen where only the rebound was a good save. One save and he has played a blinded???

Every other shot were absolutely pathetic attempts on goal.

45 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Did he??? He had one double save from Mullen where only the rebound was a good save. One save and he has played a blinded???

Every other shot were absolutely pathetic attempts on goal.

Opinions are what the forum is about. I stand by what I wrote. 

4 hours ago, gc_SMFC said:

Out the league Cup before our last game in this group is an embarrasment.

Just reinforces what everyone knows, that the vast majority of the squad aren't good enough for the top flight.

Both our strikers missing penalties as well, minter.

We're no fecking good enough for the Lowland League. :lol: