World Cup 2022 - The Road to Qatar Begins

Cornwall_Saint

Brings back bad memories.

I was in the Faroes for the 2-2 draw and in Moldova for the 1-1 draw. In Moldova Berti was banned so was sitting in the stand with the Scotland fans. He was sat right in front of us. Poor fella was taking unacceptable pelters. As furious as I was with the performance, I couldnโ€™t help but feel sorry for him. No surprise that was his last game in charge. Big Thommo scored for Scotland that night.ย 

9 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I too felt sorry for Bertie. I think he would have been a better manager for Scotland had he had club experience here.ย 

He also had the worst group of players ever available to a Scotland manger.

The team that played in the 2-2 draw in the Faroes was frightenly bad. Apart from a central defence of Dailly/Weir and a centre mid paring of Lambert/Ferguson, the team was comical.

Despite all that he got us to a play off. Something only Craigie Broon and now Clarke have managed. And Clarke wasnโ€™t via a proper group.ย 
His competitive record actually wasnโ€™t that bad. Most of our horrendous results under him were in friendlies.ย 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

15 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

The team that played in the 2-2 draw in the Faroes was frightenly bad. Apart from a central defence of Dailly/Weir and a centre mid paring of Lambert/Ferguson, the team was comical.

Despite all that he got us to a play off. Something only Craigie Broon and now Clarke have managed. And Clarke wasnโ€™t via a proper group.ย 
His competitive record actually wasnโ€™t that bad. Most of our horrendous results under him were in friendlies.ย 

15 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

All we got to hope isย  that Clarke realises that mctominay isn't a centre half, especially facing Norway with haaland......

3 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Itโ€™s all about opinions, but I think we have had worse players represent the country since Bertie. Those 4 players you mentioned would stroll into the current team. Plus we had Faddy up front. Iโ€™d even take Thommo over Dykes/McBurnie/Burke/Paterson.

I have hopes that Dykes might just become a good striker with more experience. If we could get Griffithsย back in the right zone he might just be the match winner at Wembley.

Itโ€™s never a dull day being a Scottish Saints fan is it mate?

Aw I cannae agree with you there pal.ย We needed those 4 players just to make up for the rest of the shite. Scott Dobie, Kevin Kyle, Robbie Stockdale, Gareth Williams, Stephen Crainey, Maurice Ross, Paul Devlin to name but a few.Berti never really had Faddy. He was just coming through. He got the goal against Holland by not much else. Walter and McLeish saw the best of Faddy. Same with Fletcher. All the good players Berti had were mostly nippers. Kenny Miller too. He got a couple of goals for Bert, but his best days were later.

What a wee bonus. Tonight there was hee haw on the telly and the Mrs starts looking through the planner. Sheโ€™sย got Russell Howard (who Iโ€™m no really a fan of) on series link.ย 
She sticks the first one on and it so happens itโ€™s the same night as the Serbia v Scotland game. So the whole recording on Sky One was from the start of the penalty shoot out to the end of the programme. I watched the game in the boozer that night so never saw any of the studio post match reaction on the night. Iโ€™ve obviously seen the players interviews since, but it was the studio guestsย who grabbed my attention. What an unbelievable breath of fresh air Faddy and Fletch are. From the days ofย that utter c**t Charlie Nicholas slagging the team off through countless boring studio guests, wee get to two guys (who incidentally were both top players) showing real passion and excitement for the national team. What a really enjoyable watch.ย 

8 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

My group are going to Copenhagen.

It's 9 months away and at ยฃ6 a pint and upwardsย I've started saving now.

Copenhagen is good. We had a night there en route to the Faroes. I hope you meet the same two lassies in the pub that we did. Took us to a nightclub that had a student night. ยฃ1.50 a pint!ย ๐Ÿ˜

I lived in Qatar for a year.

Met a wonderful lovely lassie, there (from Leicester).ย 

Really enjoyed the bars. (owned by the oil companies).ย  Great beer - I fondly recall being introduced to Amstell.

I doubt that many/any new bars have opened.

And I doubt ANY of the buildings that I used to know well, are even still standing... :(

C'est la vie!

As theyย almost say in Doha.

ย 

I won't start saving for Qatar now... as I know I'd enjoy myself more in Lanzarote.

Edited by antrin

• 3 months later...

Che Adams has been called up to Steve Clarke's Scotland squad for this month's World Cup qualifiers.

The Southampton striker, 24, has been capped by England Under-20s but qualifies for Scotland through the grandparent rule. Uncapped Kevin Nisbet and Jack Hendry are also included.

Clarke's side face Austria at home on 25 March, Israel away three days later and Faroe Islands at home on 31 March.

ย 

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers:ย Craig Gordon (Hearts), David Marshall (Derby), Jon McLaughlin (Rangers)

Defenders:ย Andrew Considine (Aberdeen), Declan Gallagher (Motherwell), Grant Hanley (Norwich City), Jack Hendry (KV Oostende), Scott McKenna (Nottingham Forest), Stephen O'Donnell (Motherwell), Liam Palmer (Sheffield Wednesday), Andy Robertson (Liverpool), Greg Taylor (Celtic), Kieran Tierney (Arsenal)

Midfielders:ย Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), Ryan Christie (Celtic), John Fleck (Sheffield United), Ryan Jack (Rangers), John McGinn (Aston Villa), Callum McGregor (Celtic), Kenny McLean (Norwich City), Scott McTominay (Manchester United)

Forwards:ย Che Adams (Southampton), Lyndon Dykes (Queens Park Rangers), Ryan Fraser (Newcastle), Oli McBurnie (Sheffield United), Kevin Nisbet (Hibernian)

On 12/7/2020 at 10:18 PM, Yflab said:

I too felt sorry for Bertie. I think he would have been a better manager for Scotland had he had club experience here.ย 

ย 

On 12/7/2020 at 10:27 PM, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think it must be remembered that wee broonieย  refused to blood the young talent before he fecked off. Near half the Scotland squad gave up when he got the job soย Berti had to try to rebuild during qualifiers. I still think he may have got it right if he had a little more time and a lot more patience from the supporters.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Wow, last post was a year ago and, bingo, it's back. ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

As it doesn't specify any particular team I think it's still relevant. It beats starting a new thread when there is one open. I thought you were averse to people starting extra threads on the same subject. Rascal, surprisingly, has a point.

3 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

As it doesn't specify any particular team I think it's still relevant. It beats starting a new thread when there is one open. I thought you were averse to people starting extra threads on the same subject. Rascal, surprisingly, has a point.

You have a point, but as this thread, if you read back through this page, has become focussed on Scotland.

Anyhow, I'll keep posting in the Scotland thread, see ye.ย :byebye

PS He's on ignore so I don't have to read his pointless drivel, some relief for me, although doesn't solve the problem for the forum.ย 

Edited by faraway saint