Who should we be looking to sign?

18 hours ago, paul torfason said:

Just gotta hope big Gary mac doesn't do what he has done last 2 years and sign contract then go sick for most of season then come back with 2 months to go when new contracts getting handed out,and hope we dont hear usual shit about cannot get signings in until big teams sort out squads n have to wait till end of August when every other team has done so,and season starts August 3rd so want to be ready to fo from start,not the usual scrapping the bottom of barrel players,so fingers crossed and hopefully proving wrong!!!!!

Please do not use the good name of Guni if you are only going to write this level of nonsense on here.

To start with, MacKenzie didn't show up "when contracts get handed out". He was injured. Did you think he had a hangover and was phoning in sick for 8 months?

1 hour ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Like to see us get Scott Wright on loan from Aberdeen and also Nelson from Sunderland, maybe JR could send him to us this year rather than our rivals. Liked the look of both whenever I’ve seen them over the past couple of years.

A bit late for that.

He signed for Dundee in January.

Not sure we should be trying to sign players who played with a club who were even more shit than we were last season.

Mullen and Cooke are better players than Wright IMO.

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Like to see us get Scott Wright on loan from Aberdeen and also Nelson from Sunderland, maybe JR could send him to us this year rather than our rivals. Liked the look of both whenever I’ve seen them over the past couple of years.

For all the hype about Nelson when he went to Dee, he did not manage to hold down a regular starting slot with them and was hardly prolific - though started with a bang.

Scott Wright though would be a decent addition to the squad - on from sub like he did for Dee against us. . .

15 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

For all the hype about Nelson when he went to Dee, he did not manage to hold down a regular starting slot with them and was hardly prolific - though started with a bang.

Scott Wright though would be a decent addition to the squad - on from sub like he did for Dee against us. . .

He was injured for a fair bit of time IIRC.

38 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I am not in agreement - he was poor for Motherwell and replaced by Aryobi who was much better - can't we try for him? :guinness

He wasn’t replaced by Aryobi...one is a winger and the other is a central midfielder.

Not against the idea.

Guest TPAFKATS

Wright seems to score the odd great strike but can't score consistently or hold down a starting place for Dundee or Aberdeen.

Nelson looked like he was a decent striker and linked up well with a nose for goal.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:44 PM, Sweeper07 said:
On 6/8/2019 at 1:05 AM, bigles said:

Who should we sign?   With suggestions that Mihai Popescu could be bought now for less than first mentioned. Would he be the priority?

Gary Mac re signed?

Ross McCrory being touted by Rangers as their future Captain material but are hinting he go on loan for a short term.  Should we show interest?

Stelios now looking for a Club and free agent. 

Add your wants to the post.  (Might save time if we refrain from any obvious out of our range players.)

Mihai will most likely be back - MacKenzie will most likely re-sign but we do need another CB or if Muzek re-signs, we know that he can cover there. McCrory would not be a terrible option, but would depend on how much we were paying for him - is it the best use of our budget?

Stelios - NO NAE NEVER - did a job for us at a lower level, but not good enough.

We need the next Van Basten, but someone not well known yet and ready to explode onto the scene.

We also need the next Kevin De Bruyen as above.

We need the next Hladky too . . .

Finally the next Messi would be real handy also . . .

Come on Gus and Oran - get them tied up on 10 year deals with purchase clauses of at least £25, 000,000

Need to watch what you say or you'll be tagged as a fantasist.            😎

On 6/8/2019 at 2:31 PM, paul torfason said:

Just gotta hope big Gary mac doesn't do what he has done last 2 years and sign contract then go sick for most of season then come back with 2 months to go when new contracts getting handed out,and hope we dont hear usual shit about cannot get signings in until big teams sort out squads n have to wait till end of August when every other team has done so,and season starts August 3rd so want to be ready to fo from start,not the usual scrapping the bottom of barrel players,so fingers crossed and hopefully proving wrong!!!!!

I read all that and it seemed as if it was written in one breath ............... or maybe just the way I read it.  Understand your concern though and hope we don't end up chasing 'what's left'.

33 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

He wasn’t replaced by Aryobi...one is a winger and the other is a central midfielder.

Not against the idea.

I watched Him play wide left for Motherwell in two games I was at - played 46 games for them and scored twice. When they offloaded him they brought in Aryobi who filled his slot - not saying they were the same kind of player overall, just that I would prefer Aryobi - he really came onto a game for them in the later stages of the season..

23 hours ago, Doakes said:
On 6/8/2019 at 2:28 PM, Sweeper07 said:

Conway is 34 years old and only played about 1/2 their league games last season - decent pro when he was younger but not one for us -no thanks!

Ness played slightly more than 1/2 their league games last season, but got 1 goal from midfield - doesn't that just  fill you with enthusiasm. Don't get me wrong a fabulous defensive midfielder would be great - but Ness is not this . . .

We need guys who are hungry and talented - we want to improve . . .

Guys like Flynn, Stephen McGinn, Hammill have all came from a similar level... 

I get where you are coming from here and perhaps sometimes it's more to do with luck,  Stephen was coming home and has always possessed talent,  Flynn and Hammill who are both very talented footballers were left in awkward situations whereby it behove them to go and show their talent again................... which the both did, others such as Dreyer took longer to show their class and some players we signed,  just didn't.  So yes; sometimes bringing in those type of players works, sometimes not,  I think though Oran is looking for younger hungrier players and if we are to find a striker or strikers of worth, that is possibly the only way we can do it ...............  because we cannot buy that sort of quality as a ready made  article.

4 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I get where you are coming from here and perhaps sometimes it's more to do with luck,  Stephen was coming home and has always possessed talent,  Flynn and Hammill who are both very talented footballers were left in awkward situations whereby it behove them to go and show their talent again................... which the both did, others such as Dreyer took longer to show their class and some players we signed,  just didn't.  So yes; sometimes bringing in those type of players works, sometimes not,  I think though Oran is looking for younger hungrier players and if we are to find a striker or strikers of worth, that is possibly the only way we can do it ...............  because we cannot buy that sort of quality as a ready made  article.

You are right on the striker front especially - that is why Cooke has remained. Some wonder if Stewart could have likewise stepped up over time - but the move away from us was right for both parties at the time - and he has made some progress. Cooke however, has emerged as a real possibility for next season - do hope he keeps fit and starts to bang in the goals... We will try our luck,  but whoever it is may well need a season to get up to speed for the following one...:magic

52 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Asking players to scout for us................................aye, that's the way ahead. :blink:

Meant it more like:

If we’ve scouted those particular leagues for out of contract players and they look good to us, ask one of those two players for an additional opinion.

52 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Meant it more like:

If we’ve scouted those particular leagues for out of contract players and they look good to us, ask one of those two players for an additional opinion.

The club supposedly used a company for the Eastern European players that were brought in, in January.